testtest

First Time CCW: What Do I Need To Know?

On awareness:

I dont get all caught up in the romanticism of "situational awareness" or the "head on a swivel" mantra. I just pay attention and make efforts to refrain from unnecessary distractions when I am in public spaces. I have had the occasion to encounter plenty of people who ( in my opinion) are engaging in information overload and not anything meaningful toward awareness. Awareness is not really about ALL THING THINGS you can process but rather the processing of the correct elements and understanding how these elements can effect your personal safety.

A lone individual who is operating at ground level who is utilizing a primary 180 and intermittent 360 scan of their surrounding is not really in much of a position to assess what is commonly considered to be their "situation". Especially if they are unaided by a team or tech. What you commonly have is a small bubble of awareness.. a coffee shop of awareness ( if you will). Sure, we should all endeavor to be to pay attention but at the same time, we should probably remain realistic.

I have seen plenty of these "head on a swivel" people and to be quite honest, they are the ones who often come across as suspicious. The behavior is often offputting to normal people ( who notice) , suspicious to cops and on the radar of criminals seeking victims. In essence, I think that many people try too hard.

Observing ones surroundings for the purpose of preserving person safety is a rather innate ability if people will simply get their heads out of their phones and offer themselves the opportunity to be "aware". Sure, it helps to put a little bit of effort into it and perhaps get a little training in this regard but dont let it consume you.

I am not one of these people who always face the door and all that jazz. I casually observe my surroundings, I listen and I take note of things that are indicative of trouble or "pre-trouble". If I am in a restaurant, I sit where it is quiet and far from kitchen and bathrooms. I do this in an effort to enjoy a meal, not to find the boogie man. If I am in a theater, I sit where I can best observe the screen ( usually the middle toward the back row). I am not looking for the boogie man, I am simply living and enjoying life. My effort toward awareness will be to keep my eyes up and my mind clear of unnecessary distraction.

On awareness:

I dont get all caught up in the romanticism of "situational awareness" or the "head on a swivel" mantra. I just pay attention and make efforts to refrain from unnecessary distractions when I am in public spaces. I have had the occasion to encounter plenty of people who ( in my opinion) are engaging in information overload and not anything meaningful toward awareness. Awareness is not really about ALL THING THINGS you can process but rather the processing of the correct elements and understanding how these elements can effect your personal safety.

A lone individual who is operating at ground level who is utilizing a primary 180 and intermittent 360 scan of their surrounding is not really in much of a position to assess what is commonly considered to be their "situation". Especially if they are unaided by a team or tech. What you commonly have is a small bubble of awareness.. a coffee shop of awareness ( if you will). Sure, we should all endeavor to be to pay attention but at the same time, we should probably remain realistic.

I have seen plenty of these "head on a swivel" people and to be quite honest, they are the ones who often come across as suspicious. The behavior is often offputting to normal people ( who notice) , suspicious to cops and on the radar of criminals seeking victims. In essence, I think that many people try too hard.

Observing ones surroundings for the purpose of preserving person safety is a rather innate ability if people will simply get their heads out of their phones and offer themselves the opportunity to be "aware". Sure, it helps to put a little bit of effort into it and perhaps get a little training in this regard but dont let it consume you.

I am not one of these people who always face the door and all that jazz. I casually observe my surroundings, I listen and I take note of things that are indicative of trouble or "pre-trouble". If I am in a restaurant, I sit where it is quiet and far from kitchen and bathrooms. I do this in an effort to enjoy a meal, not to find the boogie man. If I am in a theater, I sit where I can best observe the screen ( usually the middle toward the back row). I am not looking for the boogie man, I am simply living and enjoying life. My effort toward awareness will be to keep my eyes up and my mind clear of unnecessary distraction.
I hear what you're saying. My behavior didn't change when I started carrying, because I was already situationally aware based on military training in operations security and threat awareness. My family employs these same techniques due to living overseas during my deployments.

On awareness:

For sure there is a difference between being in a restaurant or in a nice suburban neighborhood and being someplace, well, like here.
La1NK35.jpg

Or here.
uNjeBfi.jpg

Or here.
KmqeYWg.jpg

Or here.
XUYom4o.jpg

And certainly here. Those holes you see are from a .45. 5 of those wizzed by my head so close that I thought they were bottle rockets until I heard the report from the weapon. The cop and I found 15 spent .45 shell casings in the intersection.

XQARbz8.jpg

9HIx2Lu.jpg

Trust me, there absolutely is a time and a place for " Head on a swivel".

I am simply highlighting some of the venues that people are often mentioning which correspond to their efforts of being aware.

Yes there is a difference and I was not trying to draw any sort of equivalence. I was framing the comments within the "back to the wall" and "facing the door" mindset.

I spent much of my life in a downtown urban neighborhood which was considered to be the "wrong side of the tracks". I have spent time in places in this country and others which are much worse in appearance that the photos that you have offered.

I am simply highlighting some of the venues that people are often mentioning which correspond to their efforts of being aware.

Yes there is a difference and I was not trying to draw any sort of equivalence. I was framing the comments within the "back to the wall" and "facing the door" mindset.

I spent much of my life in a downtown urban neighborhood which was considered to be the "wrong side of the tracks". I have spent time in places in this country and others which are much worse in appearance that the photos that you have offered.
The photos I offered are where 90% of the murders occur in the city with the most per capita murders in the country and most of the world for about the last decade or so.

The photos I offered are where 90% of the murders occur in the city with the most per capita murders in the country and most of the world for about the last decade or so.

I am sure that a person could post plenty of examples of exceptionally dangerous places. Certainly efforts toward awareness can change based on circumstances and the level of danger perceived. That generally goes without saying.

I am not sure what you are attempting to convey or how it relates to my previous comments.

I am sure that a person could post plenty of examples of exceptionally dangerous places. Certainly efforts toward awareness can change based on circumstances and the level of danger perceived. That generally goes without saying.

I am not sure what you are attempting to convey or how it relates to my previous comments.
Well, my first post I am attempting to convey the point you just made about changing circumstances. The second was merely clarifying what it was you were looking at in the pictures which according to you are "Much better" than the places you hang out.

"Most of the world’s most dangerous cities are located in Latin America. The highest ranked city outside of Latin America is St. Louis in the United States"

"North St. Louis also encompasses nine of the 10 neighborhoods with the highest homicide totals: Walnut Park West and Jeff-Vander-Lou top the list with 15, followed by Baden and Hamilton Heights, both with 12. The neighborhood with the most killings in south St. Louis was Dutchtown with eight."

Two of those pictures were taken in the Jeff-Vander-Lou neighborhood and the others were taken in Baden.

Generally speaking, unless someone has established an extreme condition ( in one direction or the other), it is often accepted that the conversation is framed around average/common/ "everyday" conditions. The potential for crime and danger exist everywhere ( to some degree), I was not framing my comments around the prospect of someone being an environment such as Mogadishu or any other place on the planet which is near universally accepted as very dangerous.

I am not really interested in trying to establish who's neighborhood or what neighborhood is more dangerous than others. I simply stated that I have lived in places that are worse in appearance.

For sure there is a difference between being in a restaurant or in a nice suburban neighborhood and being someplace, well, like here.
La1NK35.jpg

Or here.
uNjeBfi.jpg

Or here.
KmqeYWg.jpg

Or here.
XUYom4o.jpg

And certainly here. Those holes you see are from a .45. 5 of those wizzed by my head so close that I thought they were bottle rockets until I heard the report from the weapon. The cop and I found 15 spent .45 shell casings in the intersection.

XQARbz8.jpg

9HIx2Lu.jpg

Trust me, there absolutely is a time and a place for " Head on a swivel".
What the heck is going on, Bob? Have you considered moving/working elsewhere? You should qualify for hazardous duty pay.

What the heck is going on, Bob? Have you considered moving/working elsewhere? You should qualify for hazardous duty pay.
I've asked. lol

I'm working on a permanent gig down south with much better working conditions. We'll see how it plays out. It will certainly come with a pay decrease unfortunately. I do get paid pretty well to service those neighborhoods up there.

Hi my name is David. I don't have a pistol yet. I'm looking at a hell cat 9mm. Just would like to ask is that a good choice. I am 65 male. I have use guns though out my life. But never to ccw. Can someone help me. Can't tell if anyone is getting this message. Would like to know.

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.

Lots of good advice here. How about telling us a little more about yourself? Sixty-five and buying your first gun must be driven by a very good reason. Inquiring minds want to know :).

I've asked. lol

I'm working on a permanent gig down south with much better working conditions. We'll see how it plays out. It will certainly come with a pay decrease unfortunately. I do get paid pretty well to service those neighborhoods up there.
Where down south are you looking, Bob? We have problems down here as well!

Where down south are you looking, Bob? We have problems down here as well!
Well currently I am reporting to Smizer yard. Which is at 141&44. The work is Chesterfield, Ballwin, Eureka, Jeffco. Just not sure if I’ll get to stay or if I can live with the pay difference. I live in southern jeffco and basically grew up in Arnold. I can assure you the problems we have down here ( primarily meth and fentanyl) pale in comparison to the problems in north city.

I posted this relating to situational awareness. I damn near stepped on this one. Not something you would have to concern yourself with in northern states, but go far enough south and there are different threats. Like the man said, "wherever you go, there you are".

I thought that way also, Hayes, but last week I read a post n another site about a big Timber Rattler in Pennsylvania. When I expressed my surprise about the rattler being that far north, another person chimed in that they saw a Copperhead in Michigan. This is totally new to me! Not sure about the efficacy of the Copperhead, but the person had a picture of the rattler. Someone else also chimed in about a pit viper in Maine. Armadillos have really spread out. Maybe snakes too?

I thought that way also, Hayes, but last week I read a post n another site about a big Timber Rattler in Pennsylvania. When I expressed my surprise about the rattler being that far north, another person chimed in that they saw a Copperhead in Michigan. This is totally new to me! Not sure about the efficacy of the Copperhead, but the person had a picture of the rattler. Someone else also chimed in about a pit viper in Maine. Armadillos have really spread out. Maybe snakes too?
And these maps don't include the copperhead or the cottonmouth. Tread lightly, unless the ground is frozen!

1627919912408.png

1627920094379.png

Back