testtest

Getting a newby into shooting when they're scared of guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
How many of you have gotten a person who is scared of guns to go to a range with you? My girlfriend is frightened of them since someone she knows got accidentally shot, in her own home, with a deer rifle used by a careless person. She has no problem with me having my collection and we have discussed the stigmas and myths about guns quite a few times. It'd be fun to see what she thinks after trying it, if she is willing to give it a go.

I have not dealt with that yet, but I would think maybe an air gun would be a good place to start? You could shoot some in your own basement to start out? Then you could progress to a .22? I would not start out of the gate with an S&W500 or something, that's for sure....

I have not dealt with that yet, but I would think maybe an air gun would be a good place to start? You could shoot some in your own basement to start out? Then you could progress to a .22? I would not start out of the gate with an S&W500 or something, that's for sure....
I couldn't agree more.
I started shooting in the 70's with revolvers and I bought a Crosman 38c .22 pellet which is the exact size and weight of a Smith&Wesson model 15.
It helped me with muscle memory and sight acquisition and I taught my wife to shoot this way.

2011_0209airagain0010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I am with Steelers87 on this one. I would never start a non-shooter on anything other than a 22 pistol or rifle, and a pellet gun is also a good start. I am actually intrigued by the full size replica of a XDM 4.5" that shoots BB's that I came across recently.

I would start with discussions of gun safety, i.e. always treat the weapon as if loaded, don't point the gun towards people, things that are basic common sense to gun handling, and some of that might be good to do with a replica or with a pistol with snap caps in it. Maybe even get one of those laser cartridge training systems, where you can teach her to handle the firearm, proper grip and trigger safety, etc, all at home. Do that before you take her to a range.

Having taught both my daughters and son to shoot, I cannot stress that handing someone a big revolver or pistol in a large caliber is a bad way to get someone started, and have them shy away from shooting. My kids all learned using my old Ruger Mark II target pistol, which has effectively zero recoil. My oldest still doesn't like shooting anything other than a 22 pistol or rifle, and has no use for anything bigger. My middle kid has a 9mm pistol, my youngest a Ruger LC380 that she carries in her purse.

My women weren't scared to death so to speak, but really, really apprehensive. Nervous as a cat
on the hot tin roof that it was going to knock them down or somebody get shot by accident.

Wife, daughter and two granddaughters have I taught..... along with friends of the granddaughters.
I spend a day of gun handling. Safety and gun etiquette. First time at the range is the revolver
22lr and 22mag. 22lr pistol and 9mm and 38 Special. Next time it's a review of the safety and range rules
before we leave. We'll take the 9mm, 38/357, 40/SIG and 44 Spec. Third time, have them
teach me the rules and demonstrate to me safe handling. 44 sp/mag, 45ACP, 45LC and .454.
Next year the youngest granddaughter will get her CWP (20 now) as her older sister has.
That method has worked for me. I get a charge out of teaching the gals to shoot. It's fun to see
them surpass me in accuracy in a short time of practice. A lot of the guys at the range have
admitted to me their women are most generally better. I think it's because they take more care
to being precise.

As I recall fire arms purchases by women was around 28% last year. In 2018 women were around 13%.
Proves Bloomberg and his group aren't winning against self defense.

Last edited:
Try to talk her into going to the range and as others have said, start with a .22. If she is going to be around your collection, she needs to learn at least the fundamentals of handling a firearm. Most of the ranges in our area have beginner classes offered. If you could talk her into going to a beginner class, and maybe you signing up and going with her, that would be a good start. Sometimes, it is difficult to teach someone you are close to.

Try to talk her into going to the range and as others have said, start with a .22. If she is going to be around your collection, she needs to learn at least the fundamentals of handling a firearm. Most of the ranges in our area have beginner classes offered. If you could talk her into going to a beginner class, and maybe you signing up and going with her, that would be a good start. Sometimes, it is difficult to teach someone you are close to.
Agreed on learning the fundamentals... It's a must if she's going to be around the guns.

If you don't have a .22, now's the time to consider a 22LR pistol or revolver, so that you have something gentle to introduce her to. I love my Ruger Mark II and have had it for 30 years, and taught my kids with it. The new Ruger Wrangler single action revolvers are cheap and intriguing, if you have the patience to load and unload a SA revolver...

I would
My women weren't scared to death so to speak, but really, really apprehensive. Nervous as a cat
on the hot tin roof that it was going to knock them down or somebody get shot by accident.

Wife, daughter and two granddaughters have I taught..... along with friends of the granddaughters.
I spend a day of gun handling. Safety and gun etiquette. First time at the range is the revolver
22lr and 22mag. 22lr pistol and 9mm and 38 Special. Next time it's a review of the safety and range rules
before we leave. We'll take the 9mm, 38/357, 40/SIG and 44 Spec. Third time, have them
teach me the rules and demonstrate to me safe handling. 44 sp/mag, 45ACP, 45LC and .454.
Next year the youngest granddaughter will get her CWP (20 now) as her older sister has.
That method has worked for me. I get a charge out of teaching the gals to shoot. It's fun to see
them surpass me in accuracy in a short time of practice. A lot of the guys at the range have
admitted to me their women are most generally better. I think it's because they take more care
to being precise.

As I recall fire arms purchases by women was around 28% last year. In 2018 women were around 13%.
Proves Bloomberg and his group aren't winning against self defense.
I wouldn't doubt if he has someone shoot him too prove a point!

I have done this before on a few occasions. I have a Browning Buckmark Gold .22 pistol. This is what I introduce them to before going to the range and I go over things. At the range I show them how easy it is to operate. Very low recoil, very accurate. They have taken to it well. Once they feel comfortable with that and that could be a few trips, then we may move up to 9MM. I started my kids off this way as well.

I am with Steelers87 on this one. I would never start a non-shooter on anything other than a 22 pistol or rifle, and a pellet gun is also a good start. I am actually intrigued by the full size replica of a XDM 4.5" that shoots BB's that I came across recently.

I would start with discussions of gun safety, i.e. always treat the weapon as if loaded, don't point the gun towards people, things that are basic common sense to gun handling, and some of that might be good to do with a replica or with a pistol with snap caps in it. Maybe even get one of those laser cartridge training systems, where you can teach her to handle the firearm, proper grip and trigger safety, etc, all at home. Do that before you take her to a range.

Having taught both my daughters and son to shoot, I cannot stress that handing someone a big revolver or pistol in a large caliber is a bad way to get someone started, and have them shy away from shooting. My kids all learned using my old Ruger Mark II target pistol, which has effectively zero recoil. My oldest still doesn't like shooting anything other than a 22 pistol or rifle, and has no use for anything bigger. My middle kid has a 9mm pistol, my youngest a Ruger LC380 that she carries in her purse.
I agree on the BB gun front jfmorris. I own all the Sig Sauer P320 calibers and then bought their P320 CO pellet/bb pistol. I can't believe how closely it compares to the originals in looks and weight.

BB gun is the way to go, try to have some fun and set up like a stage with baloons with colored cornstarch or full cans of shaken soda. Basically targets that would be fun to shoot. Make sure to start with the basics that even though you want to share the experience with a loved one, safety is key. Don’t be one of the buttholes that hands a new shooter a 44mag revolver or 12 ga shotgun and laugh when they get hurt. You can also maybe look up the local girls shooting leauge/group like Girls with Guns. It seems counter intuitive but maybe some female strangers that probably started out where she was can help her get into the sport.

It's a must to teach safety but for a person who is already scared of guns you need to be careful not to intimidate them while stressing the importance of safety. When I bring a person to the range that was hesitant to try shooting for the first time I typically go when its most likely a slow day so the person doesn't get cold feet when they feel the percussion from other shooters and the constant sound of gunfire. I will typically set up the target within 10 to 15 ft for the first few mags the person will fire so they build confidence quicker and get excited to shoot because they actually hit the target.
For yourself being calm, confident and reassuring is a must when trying to break someone into the sport.

These are fun to shoot in the house. Have used them for years. Come in 38SP and 44SP.
Use a Mag primer. Big cardboard box with blanket stuffed in it. Hang target over the open front.
Shoot through target and stopped by the blanket. Change primer and use over and over.
Only available for the two cals and not an auto as there isn't enough energy to work the action.
Of course, eyes and ears prior to shooting.
Speer plastic bullets.jpg

Speer Plastic.jpg

These are fun to shoot in the house. Have used them for years. Come in 38SP and 44SP.
Use a Mag primer. Big cardboard box with blanket stuffed in it. Hang target over the open front.
Shoot through target and stopped by the blanket. Change primer and use over and over.
Only available for the two cals and not an auto as there isn't enough energy to work the action.
Of course, eyes and ears prior to shooting.
View attachment 1314
View attachment 1315
They do offer a45 auto #8530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back