testtest

Ghost Guns

Grifter

Custom
Founding Member
Has anyone actually seen official statistics on ghost guns used in crimes?

Not firearms with their serial number removed, but home made firearms from the kits or 3D printed.

Has anyone actually seen official statistics on ghost guns used in crimes?

Not firearms with their serial number removed, but home made firearms from the kits or 3D printed.

Excellent ques Grif - how many times do they actually show up at a crime scene….
Schumer isn’t interested in that however. He’s interested in name recognition and being able to push a bill. ( a trait he shares with some Conservative pols, far as that goes).
And here’s a tidbit he can latch onto 3D ‘ghost guns’….

I tried to track down some numbers a few months ago. They're not easy to find, but near as I can tell, the number of "ghost guns" that have been traced to actual crimes in the last five or six years is about equal to the number of murders in Chicago in a typical weekend.

Are 80% AR15 lowers considered "ghost guns" No FFL required, and some come as a kit with the drill bit and drill guide included to make it 100%.

Getting too far into your business. A felon, or person with a conviction or active injunction for domestic violence, already cannot possess a firearm. So if you think they are making ghost guns, go arrest them, and leave law abiding citizens alone. But I hear the federal agents are too busy with PTA moms and vaccine mandates to be bothered with the hard stuff.

Getting too far into your business. A felon, or person with a conviction or active injunction for domestic violence, already cannot possess a firearm. So if you think they are making ghost guns, go arrest them, and leave law abiding citizens alone. But I hear the federal agents are too busy with PTA moms and vaccine mandates to be bothered with the hard stuff.
It's always about leaving the law abiding citizens that need too be left alone! Those idiots never focus enough on the criminals, but aren't criminals until a crime is committed! BUT criminal activity or suspicion of seems too be catch (maybe) and release (?). For those doing mass homicides were they law abiding until or up too that particular date? Speeding is a crime, so I've become a criminal, but have been rehibilitated when speed limit was changed to 75 ;) . The government doesn't need to know everything and we as citizens don't know everything they do so seems fair enough?

Before the Civil War the only contact the average citizen have with the federal gov't was when they mailed a letter. My how things have changed. We're all law abiding citizens until some gov't bureaucrat decides we are not. I'm afraid that as new technologies are rolled out we lose more of our privacy and thus and thus endure more gov't scrutiny . Computer programs that companies use know just about everything we do. Apple knows where I'm located at this very moment. I'm sure there's a computer chip in your car that could communicate to law enforcement and your insurance company any reckless driving habits we might have. If it's not here yet it will soon be. As George O said, "Big brother is watching".

Are 80% AR15 lowers considered "ghost guns" No FFL required, and some come as a kit with the drill bit and drill guide included to make it 100%.
Yep, son has a friend that sells gun accessories on the side. He built an AR style rifle using using those parts. Saved a couple hundred bucks. And no serial numbers...

The entire notion of "Ghost Guns" being any sort of crime risk is ridiculous. Every study that has ever been conducted by a reputable source has concluded that criminals steal their firearms, buy them on the black market, or use straw purchasers. I spent a good part of my adult life in law enforcement, and never ran into a gangbanger who was proficient with a drill press.

While criminals could learn the skills to finish an 80% lower or print functional components from a 3D printer, these processes require an investment in equipment that street-level criminals are unwilling to make. Criminals are criminals because they do not want to work for their money. It is easier to steal a gun in a burglary, buy a stolen gun, or trade drugs for a gun than it is to learn to make one. The only reason for the government to try and prevent "Ghost Guns" is because it is not possible to trace which law-abiding citizens own them.

I would like to ask all of you to join me in not using the term "Ghost Gun". These are merely homemade firearms and should be referred to the same way we refer to any other goods that are not mass-produced by large companies. We could just as easily call them Non-GMO, Organic, Vegan, or Small-Batch firearms.

I would like to ask all of you to join me in not using the term "Ghost Gun". These are merely homemade firearms and should be referred to the same way we refer to any other goods that are not mass-produced by large companies. We could just as easily call them Non-GMO, Organic, Vegan, or Small-Batch firearms.
I like "homebuilt." If it's good enough for airplanes, it's good enough for us.

The entire notion of "Ghost Guns" being any sort of crime risk is ridiculous. Every study that has ever been conducted by a reputable source has concluded that criminals steal their firearms, buy them on the black market, or use straw purchasers. I spent a good part of my adult life in law enforcement, and never ran into a gangbanger who was proficient with a drill press.

While criminals could learn the skills to finish an 80% lower or print functional components from a 3D printer, these processes require an investment in equipment that street-level criminals are unwilling to make. Criminals are criminals because they do not want to work for their money. It is easier to steal a gun in a burglary, buy a stolen gun, or trade drugs for a gun than it is to learn to make one. The only reason for the government to try and prevent "Ghost Guns" is because it is not possible to trace which law-abiding citizens own them.

Thats kinda what i was thinking.. I guess one of the gang could acquire the equipment and get good at building "organic" ARs. But that would require some time and focus to learn. And most likely they would have to purchase the 80% lower and all the other parts. But the middle and upper level ones, that have some money, usually just want to fly under the radar..and conduct their "business".. The broke ..street level hood rats are the ones shooting each other up.. And one of their "babys mammas probably can pass a NICS check.. buy guns for them and grind off the serial #s

The Cartels, and Mafia, and other organizations have budget for (what we should perhaps refer to as) generic firearms.

So be it.

I rejoice if "generic" firearms are the means law abiding citizens can retain/fulfill their Constitutional right without intrusion/denial from any Government source.

Hard to believe for some maybe, but 'home made' or 'home built' firearms have been legal to make and own since the country was founded. They have never been required to have a serial # or an identifying mark of any kind as long as they are owned and kept by the original builder. And as long as the builder keeps them in his possession there is no serial # required.

The ATF also states that as long as a forearm was built with the original intent of the builder to keep it for himself, but later changes his mind and decides to sell it, is legal. However he should be especially careful in the transaction to be able to prove his original intent was to keep it, and to obtain an identifying mark or serial # for it before the transaction.

However, I'm pretty sure that in any event that firearm transfers between owners, it is required to obtain a serial # from the ATF which is to be permanently applied to the firearm.

The preceding is based on federal law ...... be aware there are individual state statutes that may/may not enforce/contradict this.

Back