testtest

Girlfriend bought a Hi-Point

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
My girlfriend decided to buy a carry gun due to some personal situations I won't go into here. We went to a local store and she browsed the case. It held many good options...and Hi-Points. I pointed out a couple really nice 9s, them she jumped on the Hi-Point. Her gun, her decision, I wasn't going to tell her what to do. We went to get her some trigger time with it and holy FTE and FTF, Batman. Sure it's new amd needs to be broken in but I don't think I could ever put faith in that thing.

My girlfriend decided to buy a carry gun due to some personal situations I won't go into here. We went to a local store and she browsed the case. It held many good options...and Hi-Points. I pointed out a couple really nice 9s, them she jumped on the Hi-Point. Her gun, her decision, I wasn't going to tell her what to do. We went to get her some trigger time with it and holy FTE and FTF, Batman. Sure it's new amd needs to be broken in but I don't think I could ever put faith in that thing.
I hear they make pretty good downrigger weights

Ball up Ben. You have experience, and an obligation to give her some direction. You are a proponent of "break in" time for an instrument that you or someone's life might depend on?

"due to some personal situations"?, and (just my take here) your passive nature; does to bode well for the relationship.

Ball up Ben. You have experience, and an obligation to give her some direction. You are a proponent of "break in" time for an instrument that you or someone's life might depend on?

"due to some personal situations"?, and (just my take here) your passive nature; does to bode well for the relationship.

You're out of your lane, bud. Yes, it's a **** choice for a handgun but you have no place discussing the future of a relationship. In this case, I gave guidance but it would be much worse for me to twist her arm.

Well it was her decision and you never know she might get very proficient with it.

Nope, after seeing how badly it functioned she decided to take it back and trade it in on something better. She decided that just this morning. This is why I didnt twist her arm. Now she can see why I recommended against the Hi-Point and she can make her own decision.
We all live and learn, the bottom line is she has a great mentor in you allowing her to make her own decisions. I’m sure going forward she will do great in what she chooses and having you for support will make it better.

Honestly, the ones I have seen used, and there have been quite a number at the range, are ugly heavy and clumsy. But every one I know that has one says they just kept shooting like the Energizer bunny.

One issue I do know of was they seem to be very, and I mean very, sensitive to a proper firm grip.

Except the carbines people that I have seen with them just love em. My wife bought a Monkey gun in 45 acp and liked how it shot, but could not stand the weight. And the takedown was terrible.

I bought a Hi-Point 10mm carbine to go with my 10mm XDM, you know, the pistol /carbine combo of the same caliber. My carbine has functioned flawlessly since day one. Not a single issue with it at all. Makes a great truck/car gun to back up my EDC. No experience with their handguns though.

Well, I guess all's well that ends well, but before she picked the Hi-Point did you tell her that they have a lengthy history of failure and the most important thing about a gun you plan to carry for SD is that it doesn't fail ?

As far as picking the HP over other, nicer pistols I can only surmise she was thinking with her wallet because there's not much aesthetically to be impressed with.

I understand your hesitance to make her decision for her, but bro, you are kind of obligated to school her a little no? There are a lot of considerations if she is new to firearms and going to be carrying one around. Not even considering training/fundamental considerations, you have size, weight, caliber, method of carry, complexity of manipulation, etc.. And of course picking the color that matches most of her attire. :)

Well, I guess all's well that ends well, but before she picked the Hi-Point did you tell her that they have a lengthy history of failure and the most important thing about a gun you plan to carry for SD is that it doesn't fail ?

As far as picking the HP over other, nicer pistols I can only surmise she was thinking with her wallet because there's not much aesthetically to be impressed with.

I understand your hesitance to make her decision for her, but bro, you are kind of obligated to school her a little no? There are a lot of considerations if she is new to firearms and going to be carrying one around. Not even considering training/fundamental considerations, you have size, weight, caliber, method of carry, complexity of manipulation, etc.. And of course picking the color that matches most of her attire. :)
Oh, I explained a lot about HP versus decent pistols. She wanted to go with the HP then learned it's a subpar pistol the first time out. I think we'll be going back to the store today.

I've told this story here before, but I'll tell it again. RIght after Ferguson there was another incident just down the road where a thug at a gas station got the drop on a police officer and his Hi-Point jammed. The officer shot him and of course they rioted. That crappy Hi-Point saved that cops life. Yeah, I know, plenty of people report no issues with theirs. Same for those Taurus G2s and G3s right ? We've had lengthy threads here about those too. Same thing, " Mine works flawlessly", blah, blah, blah. Of course I stated my opinion, based on experience and having had to work on a few, but someone here went ahead and bought one anyway I guess because my one little opinion didn't outweigh all the guys here talking about how great they were. Does anyone remember that thread ? The guy had nothing but problems with it and then a bunch of problems with Taurus CS. All I could say was " Well, I did warn you".

I promise you I'm not a gun snob. I have some stuff that historically is hit and miss. Even though I have all mine functioning at 100% I don't carry them around, trusting my life to them. Even the stuff that is higher grade and has a good reputation needs to be put through the paces before I consider trusting my life to it. Spend the extra $200 and get something better quality. Your life is worth it, trust me.

That said, I have heard good things about the new Taurus GX4.

I've told this story here before, but I'll tell it again. RIght after Ferguson there was another incident just down the road where a thug at a gas station got the drop on a police officer and his Hi-Point jammed. The officer shot him and of course they rioted. That crappy Hi-Point saved that cops life. Yeah, I know, plenty of people report no issues with theirs. Same for those Taurus G2s and G3s right ? We've had lengthy threads here about those too. Same thing, " Mine works flawlessly", blah, blah, blah. Of course I stated my opinion, based on experience and having had to work on a few, but someone here went ahead and bought one anyway I guess because my one little opinion didn't outweigh all the guys here talking about how great they were. Does anyone remember that thread ? The guy had nothing but problems with it and then a bunch of problems with Taurus CS. All I could say was " Well, I did warn you".

I promise you I'm not a gun snob. I have some stuff that historically is hit and miss. Even though I have all mine functioning at 100% I don't carry them around, trusting my life to them. Even the stuff that is higher grade and has a good reputation needs to be put through the paces before I consider trusting my life to it. Spend the extra $200 and get something better quality. Your life is worth it, trust me.

That said, I have heard good things about the new Taurus GX4.
I sold her on a XD 9. I've loved my XDs. You can't go wrong with one of those for $340. If I had my way she'd get a VP9 but price and availability are prohibitive for her. Yes, we'll be putting that pistol through its paces.

It's not snobby to want products that work, especially a carry pistol.

Last edited:
I sold her on a XD 9. I've loved my XDs. You can't go wrong with one of those for $340. If I had my way she'd get a VP9 but proce and availability are prohibitive for her. Yes, we'll be putting that pistol through its paces.

It's not snobby to want products that work, especially a carry pistol.

I love me some VP9. Hands down my favorite 9mm. Truthfully not too far from my favorite SA handgun. I find myself carrying it over my beloved .45s very often.

Once you get her hooked on shooting you can put one in her hands and she will covet it until she finds a way to buy one. :)

i try not to be a "gun snob". i have read that the High Point works well with some, and others have problems. if she is a first time shooter, then she may very well not have a firm grip and may very well be limp-wristing. too, it's all she may have been able to afford, with out asking for you to lend her the money.

let her decide what to do, with "'some guidance by you", just do not force her to choose a gun high priced that she cannot afford.

I love me some VP9. Hands down my favorite 9mm. Truthfully not too far from my favorite SA handgun. I find myself carrying it over my beloved .45s very often.

Once you get her hooked on shooting you can put one in her hands and she will covet it until she finds a way to buy one. :)
Thankfully she grew up with guns, just not handguns. Shes pretty good with her .32 Win and damn good with a bow.

Back