testtest

Go bags! Where would you go?

Question:I'm retired & recently moved to the southwest.I call this area "The Alamo"I really don't know my way around the mountains & decided it's home or nothing.I know the basics of survival.having spent time in the Marines.Other then food,water,arms,lots of ammo,2 way radio,first aid, what can you suggest ? I'm here for the duration.Having lived in Chicago a long time & time in country in 67.Ive got situational awareness down pat :)

Glad you were able to escape this state ( Illinois ) . I live way down on the South end of IL. I guess I'll be here when the lights get shut off for the last time. :cry:

For me I could go to my sisters house out in the country near where I grew up.

My wife and I will be in the crowd staying put. I do have a few places to go, but none are set up to accommodate us effectively. For those planning to bug out, one thing to include along with first aid supplies is a booklet with how to address common first aid issues (in case you forget), and some way to purify water.

This is a great topic.

For me, the thought had always been about getting home and bugging-in...the latter as much as that's possible, sadly, in terms of an inner-ring suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.

One would imagine otherwise, but the community is actually really tight-knit, and there's a surprising number of us-minded people who seem to really dwell unnoticed among those who unfortunately do not share the same mindset.

Where would we "bug-out" to?

Sadly, as city-dwellers for generations, there are no relatives living in the country/rural areas, but good friends with established reciprocal pacts are our goals, if the situation ever got desperate enough. That said, if we stayed until things got that bad, I honestly don't know what the odds would be of getting out, versus what we may be able to hold if the neighbors all banded together (recall Koreatown, in the 1992 LA Riots).

Really, my wife has always said that it's simply better to just not be there for the event, and I honestly cannot disagree with that. We are lucky in that we do have the ability to "just leave," however, this line of thinking requires that there be somewhere to leave *_TO_* and the foresight to *_HAVE GONE_*. The former may be less of a worry than the latter, given the realities of the world, but the fight against normalcy bias may instead have us looking at the situation from a 20/20 perspective, from inside the disaster zone rather than outside of it.

Practically speaking, I feel comfortable with our "suburban preps." Certainly, I'd like more, and I'm always slowly adding more, but we are reasonably self-sufficient for the time being. With enough emergency food, water, and supplies cached away that, even discounting the pantry - where things like bottled/seltzer water, canned foods and pastas, instant ramen (I'm first-generation Taiwanese immigrant of Chinese ancestry, so, yeah, there's like an entire 7-11's worth of that :p for when I get cravings) and freeze-dried camping food are stocked....well over three week's worth of sustenance in and of itself - we'll be OK until aid finally reaches us.

So why the bags?

Because of my daughter, actually.

Last spring, during the height of tornado season here in NE-Ohio, we found ourselves in the basement as the neighboring city's warning siren joined the klaxons going off on our TV and cellular devices. Safely huddled together on an old mattress, listening to the weather-band radio while swimming in a sea of my daughter's old toys and Halloween costumes, the 13-year-old popped an interesting question: "What happens, dad, if we had to evacuate?"

And this is really where I am/we are, with respect to our "go bags."

It's really intended to sustain us on our trip to the evacuation shelter - to offer us more comfort and capabilities than if we were forced to either go entirely without or only had the "5 minutes" to scramble for necessary items prior to such an event.

Even if the rest of the house is whisked off to Oz and the preps in the basement water-damaged beyond salvage, the weather-tight bags would still be secure, and would hopefully serve as sufficient lifeline.

I know, this is pretty depressing - honestly, if it was the zombie apocalypse, I'd be out there with all my cool-guy gear on (my first stop would be a motorcycle store...seriously, human teeth being the worst I have to worry about? people chip a tooth just eating a corned beef on rye!) and just laying waste to my ammo cache :ROFLMAO: - but it's really the pragmatic side of me speaking.

I have this patch/sticker from 30 Seconds Out on a lot of different pieces of my range gear:

1579055265740.png

But the reality of the situation, as I've discussed with my family, is that this stuff hopefully will be what bridges us through until that aid (be it from the state/federal goverment or from simply our neighbors) actually becomes available and accessible.

Short answer? Even though I have so much to say on this subject? I have a GET HOME BAG. But if I have to leave (because the town is burning down) I have a loaded for bear tow behind camper trailer and three vehicles with the ability to tow it.
I also have a get home bag- carry it every day at work. I work in New York City and my whole purpose if TSHTF is to get home!

I thought of getting one, but everything is all so neatly labeled at home. :) I do have a whole house generator, the cans of food you just add water to, extra water and supplies. Tried not to go too crazy with it all but I do have enough for about a month. There are way to many people up in this area. It would be chaos to try to get anywhere.

I have a site that resides on about 27 acres on the side of chilhowee mountain. Its an elevated position, and off the beaten path except for those that reside there. Theres also cades cove in the national park, but I feel that will already be taken.

Theres also numerous locations to hit in the National Park, as well as the national forest. This is where knowing where to camp and hike give you an advantage. I wont bother with main roads. I take back roads to where I need to go. Its faster and safer.

I know that this discussion is 3 years old but it was linked from a recent thread.

There was a guy who used to post on The High Road named Xavier Breathe.

He lived through Katrina. I pretty sure he wasn't in New Orleans I think he was just to the west of it.

two of the things that he talked about a lot were people were stealing generators from people that had them. He also pointed out that in the middle of the night when everybody from miles around you is sitting in the dark and there's no noise the sound of your generator will carry for miles and it will make you a target.

He also mentioned a family that had a generator and when their neighbors realized that they had power they lined up at these people's house and demanded ice from the refrigerator. Access to the washing machine. Access to showers with hot water.

Remember this wasn't an end of the world scenario. Civilian Authority was still in place to some degree. They couldn't just start shooting their neighbors to keep them away from the house and they really couldn't just tell them all to screw off because they still had to live in that neighborhood after it was all over.

The whole point of his article was that you need to do everything you can to fly under the radar.

You can't be the only house in the neighborhood that's lit up.

I'm not going to discuss my preps online. At least not in detail but during the pandemic I told my wife to keep note of things that she wished we had and if the supply lines ever eased up we were going to restock accordingly. And we did.

I don't think the last supply chain collapse was the last supply chain collapse.

There's a connection between the paragraph that I just wrote what I'm about to say but I'm not sure how to make it so I'm just going to say the connection is there.

The purpose of youpropeps that is not so that you can go on living your pre-pandemic lifestyle while the world goes to hell around you. If your neighbors or barbecuing their dogs for food and you're still fat, people are going to notice that really quick.

I agree with Xavier Breathe. You have to do everything you can to stay off the radar

It’s interesting to see this thread pop up again with no new posts since February 2020 so I thought I’d share an update.

I mentioned previously a travel trailer I owned however that was sold last year as I found out quickly it was just to small with extremely limited storage space for necessities if needed for an extended emergency, I’ve made some changes to my current truck to accommodate a larger 5th wheel camper that my lady and I are getting later this year.
More storage space and 4 season capability will be the order for this new camper.

I’ve also contacted an old family friend who owns land in north/west Texas and he has guaranteed that I have space available on his 50 thousand acres to hold up in.

For me, the thought had always been about getting home and bugging-in...the latter as much as that's possible, sadly, in terms of an inner-ring suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.

One would imagine otherwise, but the community is actually really tight-knit, and there's a surprising number of us-minded people who seem to really dwell unnoticed among those who unfortunately do not share the same mindset.

Where would we "bug-out" to?

Sadly, as city-dwellers for generations, there are no relatives living in the country/rural areas, but good friends with established reciprocal pacts are our goals, if the situation ever got desperate enough. That said, if we stayed until things got that bad, I honestly don't know what the odds would be of getting out, versus what we may be able to hold if the neighbors all banded together (recall Koreatown, in the 1992 LA Riots).

Really, my wife has always said that it's simply better to just not be there for the event, and I honestly cannot disagree with that. We are lucky in that we do have the ability to "just leave," however, this line of thinking requires that there be somewhere to leave *_TO_* and the foresight to *_HAVE GONE_*. The former may be less of a worry than the latter, given the realities of the world, but the fight against normalcy bias may instead have us looking at the situation from a 20/20 perspective, from inside the disaster zone rather than outside of it.

Practically speaking, I feel comfortable with our "suburban preps." Certainly, I'd like more, and I'm always slowly adding more, but we are reasonably self-sufficient for the time being. With enough emergency food, water, and supplies cached away that, even discounting the pantry - where things like bottled/seltzer water, canned foods and pastas, instant ramen (I'm first-generation Taiwanese immigrant of Chinese ancestry, so, yeah, there's like an entire 7-11's worth of that :p for when I get cravings) and freeze-dried camping food are stocked....well over three week's worth of sustenance in and of itself - we'll be OK until aid finally reaches us.

So why the bags?

Because of my daughter, actually.

Last spring, during the height of tornado season here in NE-Ohio, we found ourselves in the basement as the neighboring city's warning siren joined the klaxons going off on our TV and cellular devices. Safely huddled together on an old mattress, listening to the weather-band radio while swimming in a sea of my daughter's old toys and Halloween costumes, the 13-year-old popped an interesting question: "What happens, dad, if we had to evacuate?"

And this is really where I am/we are, with respect to our "go bags."

It's really intended to sustain us on our trip to the evacuation shelter - to offer us more comfort and capabilities than if we were forced to either go entirely without or only had the "5 minutes" to scramble for necessary items prior to such an event.

Even if the rest of the house is whisked off to Oz and the preps in the basement water-damaged beyond salvage, the weather-tight bags would still be secure, and would hopefully serve as sufficient lifeline.

I know, this is pretty depressing - honestly, if it was the zombie apocalypse, I'd be out there with all my cool-guy gear on (my first stop would be a motorcycle store...seriously, human teeth being the worst I have to worry about? people chip a tooth just eating a corned beef on rye!) and just laying waste to my ammo cache :ROFLMAO: - but it's really the pragmatic side of me speaking.

I have this patch/sticker from 30 Seconds Out on a lot of different pieces of my range gear:

View attachment 419

But the reality of the situation, as I've discussed with my family, is that this stuff hopefully will be what bridges us through until that aid (be it from the state/federal goverment or from simply our neighbors) actually becomes available and accessible.
30secs out is a great site 👍
“hope is not a good plan” is my motto
Its on my truck as well as many other places
There stuff is all over my helmet
D6C2D248-4E36-45E3-A65B-4A4BAB59D182.jpeg
03652E4D-2F28-4284-BA4E-A857374BA898.jpeg

Back