testtest

Going the distance!

I mostly practice 30-50ft for defensive drills when using a sub compact pistol. I have shot targets up to 50yds with a sub compact but I don't regularly practice that distance. I try to stay at a reasonable distance I can lay down steady fire and still hit a paper plate sized target consistently. When using my Ruger PC carbine with Vortex Sparc2 I practice 100yds.

I use a indoor range most of the time around 25 ft. I do some shooting at camp but its not much for training just to shoot stuff and make noise and have fun with the family they have some gun but not a gun nut like me get to take the new ones to show off and let them shoot.

Indoor range up to 25 yards, but with my Sub Compact carries I normally practice at 5-10 yards.
Outdoor range up to 200 yards, rifles - I practice at 75 - 200 yards (when I can see that far 👓🔭), Pistol/revolver - 25 yards or less.

I keep it inside 25 yards for the most part. I will occasionally stretch to 50 or 100 just to keep in mind of where to hold at that distance if I had to. My hope is if I'm that far away I can find some avenue of escape unless others are in eminent danger.

I generally practice between 7-15 yards with my defense ammo, as I used to work at my local Sheriff Dept, and I used to go out with the deputies when they had to qualify, that’s what they usually stressed that you should be proficient at that distance, cause most self defense shootings happen at those distances.

As far as I possibly can. :)

There's something to be said for knowing that I can make that far-away hit - and to also be challenged to do so.

That said, I think that it's important to keep the BSA (Balance of Speed versus Accuracy) template in-mind. I feel that the distance alone is incomplete measure, and instead, I like to work with a matrix of distance versus target-size versus time.

This isn't to suggest that I'm a good shot, at all. :p I am really challenged to make good shots at 75+ yards with my EDC, my XDm9 3.8 Compact, and by the time I push out to the 100, I'm really, really struggling. But hey, that's that stretch that I need to make, right? :)

With the gauge, instead of pure distance, I focus more on trying to be more intuitive about my grasp of distances and their effect on the patterning of my particular gun/ammo combo. Second to that are my weapons-handling skills: the ability to load reliably and properly manipulate the pump and fire-controls. Marksmanship I actually place on a lower tier with the gauge because at the 15-and-in, my experience with long-guns is that I can make good hits just using kinesthetic indexing (although I also have a a RDS on my 870) - meanwhile, I am comfortable in knowing that with a change to slug, I can easily reach out to the 100.

Where distance is concerned, the AR is my go-to. While most classes I've attended were from the 100 or the 50-in, I try to at least push out to the 200 every once in a while, and I'd really like to get in the couple of local classes that either tackle the 300-and-in, or push the gun even further (there's one local class that takes things out to the 600-700, with the .223/5.56 AR).

And for classes with moving targets, I pay for those whenever I get the chance. :)

With my carry arms (SIG, 40, 45) I practice from 6 to 21 feet (22-7yds, 1.8-6.4m). I believe now I will start pushing out further. I have been told many times by many knowledgeable folks that most confrontations are from 6 to 18 feet. That may very well be true, but we also need to be able to reach out a bit further, as has been aptly demonstrated.

With my carry arms (SIG, 40, 45) I practice from 6 to 21 feet (22-7yds, 1.8-6.4m). I believe now I will start pushing out further. I have been told many times by many knowledgeable folks that most confrontations are from 6 to 18 feet. That may very well be true, but we also need to be able to reach out a bit further, as has been aptly demonstrated.
Like 80 yards in the other post? :LOL:

If you shoot and kill someone at 80 yards you most likely will get a murder charge. Majority of the time it would be difficult to prove they were a threat. Although you don't have a duty to retreat I think that far away one is walking on egg shells..... I know I wouldn't attempt it.

Back