testtest

Groundhog (wood chuck)

USMC1911

Elite
Should I trap it or take it out with my Pellet Rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 97
I've Trapped and released 5 groundhogs that for several years would dig two holes through the rock base that my shed sat upon. I used two different traps (a 2 door and single door), and places plastic snow fencing to each hole with the traps attached to them. For the groundhogs to get home, they had to use the two door trap. If already home and wanted to get out, either trap could be used. I found the old ones to be docile and more nervous that anything. The young one was biting the cage whenever I came near it. I'd released them in a state park several miles from my house (I had a steel rebar in hand in case the young one tried to attack upon release, then I'd clock it in the head. Fortunately it bolted into the woods as the trap door opened). Every year I was trapping these things (it became exhausting), and like you, though about shooting them (my neighbor at the time sometimes did in his yard). I even thought of hooking my truck exhaust up with a hose and gassing them while under the shed. Finally, I placed chicken wire around the base of the shed and covered it with pavers, and at least I stopped them from living under the shed. I occasionally see them in my yard grazing, but don't know where they are setting up their dens. Perhaps they went back to my neighbor's yard, or further down the block.

i never had it but am pretty sure it is nothing like chicken.

I've Trapped and released 5 groundhogs that for several years would dig two holes through the rock base that my shed sat upon. I used two different traps (a 2 door and single door), and places plastic snow fencing to each hole with the traps attached to them. For the groundhogs to get home, they had to use the two door trap. If already home and wanted to get out, either trap could be used. I found the old ones to be docile and more nervous that anything. The young one was biting the cage whenever I came near it. I'd released them in a state park several miles from my house (I had a steel rebar in hand in case the young one tried to attack upon release, then I'd clock it in the head. Fortunately it bolted into the woods as the trap door opened). Every year I was trapping these things (it became exhausting), and like you, though about shooting them (my neighbor at the time sometimes did in his yard). I even thought of hooking my truck exhaust up with a hose and gassing them while under the shed. Finally, I placed chicken wire around the base of the shed and covered it with pavers, and at least I stopped them from living under the shed. I occasionally see them in my yard grazing, but don't know where they are setting up their dens. Perhaps they went back to my neighbor's yard, or further down the block.
"but don't know where they are setting up their dens". Do you have any large trees in your area? Up until a few years ago, groundhogs were unheard of in our area and now I see them occasionally in my yard and they are not adverse to scurrying up a cottonwood tree, of which I have many. Since coons and possums seem to like the big cottonwoods, why not a groundhog?

Back