testtest

Gun Control May 17

Seems like a harder shot than a headshot ? Especially with a pistol any further away than 10-15 yards.
Agreed as I wasn’t saying it would be easy, mentioned many times in this thread was the difference between having a pistol fighting someone with a rifle such as an AR you are definitely outgunned so for me I’m putting rounds into or on the rifle toting individual hoping for one or two or more putting that individual down and if just one can impact the rifle then I feel it’s a win.
Makes me want to rethink carrying extra magazines.

Agreed as I wasn’t saying it would be easy, mentioned many times in this thread was the difference between having a pistol fighting someone with a rifle such as an AR you are definitely outgunned so for me I’m putting rounds into or on the rifle toting individual hoping for one or two or more putting that individual down and if just one can impact the rifle then I feel it’s a win.
Makes me want to rethink carrying extra magazines.
Thinking the same, but also thinking of an EDC with increased round capacity to be able to increase the odds of some shots hitting non-armored area.

Statistically, rifles are in a minority. Throw in body armor and it is further down on the spectrum. If you plan for the common events, the odds are with you.
Have a gun and be familiar with it.
Be aware.
Avoid conflicts if possible.

FWIW, I avoid large Blue cities, I rarely go out at night, I'm not a gang member, I lock my front door, I reload, I shoot quantities of ammo and usually own a dog. I'm not going to wear body armor (not yet anyway), nor am I going to actively pursue a bad guy.

Statistically, rifles are in a minority. Throw in body armor and it is further down on the spectrum. If you plan for the common events, the odds are with you.
Have a gun and be familiar with it.
Be aware.
Avoid conflicts if possible.

FWIW, I avoid large Blue cities, I rarely go out at night, I'm not a gang member, I lock my front door, I reload, I shoot quantities of ammo and usually own a dog. I'm not going to wear body armor (not yet anyway), nor am I going to actively pursue a bad guy.
unfortunately, we live in a blue city. not a gang banger either. we have been locking our doors for decades. i shoot, and now reload (well starting to).

i too will not pursue a bad guy,

BUT....the bad guys have been coming into your driveway, front, or side, or rear yards......

before i got my permit, one such came into our yard, waving his hands, scaring the life outta my sister, this was at night.

when i have to go out at night (nearly 5 nights a week...??), then come home...???

i got my hand on my gun.............

that's when i'll be a "banger"...........

I'm an old guy. The things we are seeing these days in the United States are unprecedented during my lifetime. Sure, we have had people shooting each other and/or finding more creative ways to end someone's life, but not like this!

I have read informal studies by folks like Tom Givens that talk about most self defense shootings taking place at very close distances, most of the time within smelling bad breath distances. It doesn't take very refined markmanship to defend yourself against something like that, mostly just being able to get your gun (if you have one) in the fight. And usually no long guns are involved. Longer distance defense in a mass shooting situation, under severe stress, is an entirely different matter. Most of us probably need to alter our practice routines if we can (if shooting at a range it could be challenging). If a person can perform the longer distance shooting, then the mugger distance shooting would be a matter of working on getting your gun in the fight quickly. Also, the weapon of choice might change from a snubbie to something like a 1911. A lot to think about!

I know I have been spending quite a bit of time thinking about all this.

Several things you can do to improve your property. Lights with motion detection. A fence around property. Thorny plants. If neighbors incorporated some of this, it could help, too.
we have those things you mention. however, in my particular situation, a dead end street borders my property, and it's wide open to my driveway, as well as to the neighbors. city light on a pole, lights on my property, but thugs can hide in between neighbors cars, fencing, etc.

I'm an old guy. The things we are seeing these days in the United States are unprecedented during my lifetime. Sure, we have had people shooting each other and/or finding more creative ways to end someone's life, but not like this!

I have read informal studies by folks like Tom Givens that talk about most self defense shootings taking place at very close distances, most of the time within smelling bad breath distances. It doesn't take very refined markmanship to defend yourself against something like that, mostly just being able to get your gun (if you have one) in the fight. And usually no long guns are involved. Longer distance defense in a mass shooting situation, under severe stress, is an entirely different matter. Most of us probably need to alter our practice routines if we can (if shooting at a range it could be challenging). If a person can perform the longer distance shooting, then the mugger distance shooting would be a matter of working on getting your gun in the fight quickly. Also, the weapon of choice might change from a snubbie to something like a 1911. A lot to think about!

I know I have been spending quite a bit of time thinking about all this.
Another Old Guy here. Agreed that we hear about a lot more crap these days, but I sometimes wonder if that actually means more bad stuff is happening. I suspect that part of it stems from the fact we have far more information available to us than we did 30 years ago.

I made the unfortunate choice to watch the helmet cam video of the shooter. The first 5 or so victims had no chance, even if armed...it was very fast. I was surprised how many went down with only 1 shot. It's still haunting me. I am currently rethinking my carry methods.
I watched the raw, unedited video as well. What amazed me is how much carnage was inflicted in just a minute and two seconds.

I watched the raw, unedited video as well. What amazed me is how much carnage was inflicted in just a minute and two seconds.
I have no desire to watch that horrible event in fact from what I’m hearing is law enforcement is trying to get the information on the members of that chat group that the shooter invited people into and may have shared what he was planning to do. If he told anyone what he was planning and they made no attempt at reporting him they are complicit in murder.
This vial evil needs to stop.

I have no desire to watch that horrible event in fact from what I’m hearing is law enforcement is trying to get the information on the members of that chat group that the shooter invited people into and may have shared what he was planning to do. If he told anyone what he was planning and they made no attempt at reporting him they are complicit in murder.
This vial evil needs to stop.
and it is this "evil" and using such a weapon, that gets the anti gun citizens, as well as politicians to ban "assault weapons", or "weapons of mass destruction", which then will eventually lead to ALL firearms.

i thought i read that this whack job was at one time under the eye of the FBI..??

if so, how deeply did the FBI investigate this whacko..as far as into his online activities?

What say we refer to the aftermath of WW1 andWW2 and see how many of those folks came back homeless and drunks. You can totally blame the federal government for the problem because in every war we have fought since ww2 we lost because of the way we fought them. Folks we have the ability to win every war we fight if we let the good generals fight them without the interference. These woke idiots we have had in their are so fuc--- up they have no idea about winning. No wonder our fighting men are so hurt. They go in to win and have to put up with losing when they know dam well we could have won. It has to hurt.

I'm 81 years old and after the fiasco of Nebraska senate last session failing to pass constitutional carry figure might as well start carrying open carry. Boy it will come up again in the next election and I plan on fighting hard as I can to get it through. Omaha and Lincoln shut it down and don't give a dam about what we in rural Nebraska have to live with. NRA and the rest of Nebraska better start now to get in the fray if we want this soon. Start by joining NRA AND CONTACT THEM AND DEMAND THEY START HELPING US. Next contact your state senators and demand they pass it ASAP !!

I'm 81 years old and after the fiasco of Nebraska senate last session failing to pass constitutional carry figure might as well start carrying open carry. Boy it will come up again in the next election and I plan on fighting hard as I can to get it through. Omaha and Lincoln shut it down and don't give a dam about what we in rural Nebraska have to live with. NRA and the rest of Nebraska better start now to get in the fray if we want this soon. Start by joining NRA AND CONTACT THEM AND DEMAND THEY START HELPING US. Next contact your state senators and demand they pass it ASAP !!
They tried to stick Omaha's BS amendment in and make it applicable to the entire state. I do and will continue to bypass Nebraska on my way to and from the west.

Back