testtest

Gun shops empty and rationing ammo

There is only so much you can do with executive orders, gun laws need Congress to pass anything major, so with an executive orders, can’t ban so called assault weapons, can’t ban high capacity magazines, can’t ban 9mm ammo, but more then likely some of the minor stuff maybe, but when it goes in front of the Supreme Court, it more then likely will be repealed, just my opinion
Exactly however and unfortunately states can do it without the federal government getting involved so as they say it’s a crap shoot.

I miraculously found some ammo online and placed roughly a $400 order. It consisted of some 9mm FMJ & JHP, .380 FMJ & JHP, and some 22lr. Brands were Fiochhi & Federal, and 115, 124, & 40 grain. Made and rec'd the order confirmation Oct. 21st, and then on Oct. 29th rec'd an email stating an order delay. No updates so far.

🤔 Maybe they're waiting to surprise me and make it a Christmas present. 😊🤞

Last edited:
2 out of 3 of my local gun stores have a decent supply of guns, just not the most popular ones. Popular ammo is the problem. My range will sell ammo to you for range use @ $29 for 9mm. They will NOT let you buy a bunch to take home. The same with the adjacent gun store. They will sell you ammo at a reasonable price WHEN you buy a gun. Otherwise they limit your purchase.

S
2 out of 3 of my local gun stores have a decent supply of guns, just not the most popular ones. Popular ammo is the problem. My range will sell ammo to you for range use @ $29 for 9mm. They will NOT let you buy a bunch to take home. The same with the adjacent gun store. They will sell you ammo at a reasonable price WHEN you buy a gun. Otherwise they limit your purchase.

Sounds similar to my LGS/Range. They will sell shooters one box of ammo, but they are often out of 9mm, .380, and .45. They do a good job of making the shop look stocked, but regular customers will notice that racks that have always held home-defense shotguns and MSR's are now filled with bolt-actions. Cases that were always full of M&P's, XD's, Glocks, and Sigs are now filled with used revolvers and assorted Turkish semi-auto's, with a few high-end 1911's mixed in. They seem to be doing okay selling whatever new guns come in, but range traffic is really suffering.

I went to Academy on Veterans Day early, and there was already a line outside waiting for the doors to open at 0900. One guy brought his lawn chair for the wait, lol. Anyway, once the doors opened a sales associate walked down the line asking us what we were looking for. When he announced there was no 9mm available, I was out the door at 0901. There is a very small amount of ammo in town, but it is 500% over retail. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

I've been using ammoseek.com (a search engine) - they can typically find in-stock vendors. I ordered 500 rds of 9mm earlier this week, showed in stock, supposed to arrive at my door sometime next week.

I don't personally use Optics Planet because, for some reason, they say they can't / won't ship to Maryland. I don't understand that because I get ammo shipped to me all the time, and they have yet to reply to any of my inquiries...so they're on my "ignore" list.

I've been using ammoseek.com (a search engine) - they can typically find in-stock vendors. I ordered 500 rds of 9mm earlier this week, showed in stock, supposed to arrive at my door sometime next week.

I don't personally use Optics Planet because, for some reason, they say they can't / won't ship to Maryland. I don't understand that because I get ammo shipped to me all the time, and they have yet to reply to any of my inquiries...so they're on my "ignore" list.
Thanks

I don't see any recovery back to pre-Feb. 2020 levels for the foreseeable future.

If Chairman Joe's Covid Teams' proposal for a nation-wide 4-6 week lock-down, they'll like make anything related to firearms non-essential like that in several states to date, then bump my estimate way back if there's a 1-2 yr backlog right now.

It took 2-3 yrs to recover from the .22lr panic.

Last edited:
While I was at my local gun shop today, plenty of rifles and handguns, ammo was plentiful except for .38special, .357mag, .44mag, plenty of 9mm and .45acp, .40 S&W. They have a 100 round limit per day, 26.95 for Federal .45acp 230gr, which isn’t as bad as some places right now.

I haven't looked for any ammo recently, and am still wtg on my delayed order made on Oct. 21st. Nowadays, I'm diverting available funds towards stocking-up on non-perishable foodstuffs, and portioning it out, vacuum sealing, and setting it aside for future use. Not going full-blown prepping, just preparing for the nationwide 4-6 week lockdown if things go sideways. Will still keep my eyes open for available ammo though.

All the shops near me have well stocked gun cases. Ammo availability seems to go through cycles but always sells out quick. It’s necessary to be at the front of the line on the day the trucks arrive. It would be nice if Academy would limit their boxes further though. They’ve been very liberal even when there isn’t much availability. I heard recently that they still weren’t even limiting 380 which has been very scarce. A guy at the front of the line bought the entire case they received leaving none for others. You know that stuff is going up on gunbroker.

I can appreciate capitalism but B&M retail stores should consider how their policies affect the market and ask themselves are they a distributor or are they serving local customers. A quick look at gunbroker will reveal that Academy has been feeding the resale market heavily due to their liberal volumes and low prices.

In contrast, Bass Pro has limited to 2 boxes period. It doesn’t matter what combination of calibers you buy they wouldn’t allow you to walk out with more than 2 which allows them to serve more customers.

Everyone is pretty pricey now. But.

ammotogo

bulkammo.com

all going to be inflated though.
I’ve been using (bulkAmmo) but I checked yesterday and their prices have gotten ridiculous.

All the shops near me have well stocked gun cases. Ammo availability seems to go through cycles but always sells out quick. It’s necessary to be at the front of the line on the day the trucks arrive. It would be nice if Academy would limit their boxes further though. They’ve been very liberal even when there isn’t much availability. I heard recently that they still weren’t even limiting 380 which has been very scarce. A guy at the front of the line bought the entire case they received leaving none for others. You know that stuff is going up on gunbroker.

I can appreciate capitalism but B&M retail stores should consider how their policies affect the market and ask themselves are they a distributor or are they serving local customers. A quick look at gunbroker will reveal that Academy has been feeding the resale market heavily due to their liberal volumes and low prices.

In contrast, Bass Pro has limited to 2 boxes period. It doesn’t matter what combination of calibers you buy they wouldn’t allow you to walk out with more than 2 which allows them to serve more customers.
Our local Academy limits ammunition purchases to a three box maximum purchase no matter the caliber combination. I haven't seen any case ammo for sale.

Back