Gun Keeper

• Great idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Meh

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Excel spreadsheet with appropriate columns and a post-it note telling whoever that they will go to whoever I name upon my demise. It's in the safe-deposit box. No way the "cloud" can / should be considered for data the feds could look at. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
i actually have "college bound notebooks", that i get at wally-world, for like under $2.00 each.

it's like a diary of each gun that i keep. all info like purchase date, build date, day of use, how many rnds, cleaning and lubing.

it's for my use. when i went to sell 3 guns i no longer wanted, the LGS, did not even want those books.

so they are for my record keeping.

i actually have "college bound notebooks", that i get at wally-world, for like under $2.00 each.

it's like a diary of each gun that i keep. all info like purchase date, build date, day of use, how many rnds, cleaning and lubing.

it's for my use. when i went to sell 3 guns i no longer wanted, the LGS, did not even want those books.

so they are for my record keeping.

Can be a good idea to keep records, but with a trained eye, much of those things can be seen or felt as well. Many people used to and some still do keep various logs on aircraft, boats and vehicles. In some case, it's law. In other times, it's sometimes a selling point to some people or sometimes only for maintenance reminders or verification.

"it's for my use. when i went to sell 3 guns i no longer wanted, the LGS, did not even want those books." - Likely not, since it's not a commonly passed on practice. They've likely no place to keep them either,

Can be a good idea to keep records, but with a trained eye, much of those things can be seen or felt as well. Many people used to and some still do keep various logs on aircraft, boats and vehicles. In some case, it's law. In other times, it's sometimes a selling point to some people or sometimes only for maintenance reminders or verification.

"it's for my use. when i went to sell 3 guns i no longer wanted, the LGS, did not even want those books." - Likely not, since it's not a commonly passed on practice. They've likely no place to keep them either,
goes back to my earlier years as a mechanic, then followed me as a truck driver, to keep detailed records of PM services.

i had to keep records (work orders) of customers repairs, as back then, there were no computers.

in trucking, you have to keep detailed records, especially inspection reports in case of a dispute with a shop, or in case of an accident.

when i first started shooting, i'd ask the RSO's, how many guns did they own, and how many rounds gone thru them.

the standard answer would be..."about xxx amount"

i as a detailed record keeper, don;t want to say to someone buying a gun of mine to hear...."about"

i show them the book, on all the information from day #1.

it's like a bad habit, i cannot change what i've been doing for decades.

even my house.

i have detailed repair work that dates back to the early 1980's.....which includes copies of permits, estimates, finial invoices, and contractors.

goes back to my earlier years as a mechanic, then followed me as a truck driver, to keep detailed records of PM services.

i had to keep records (work orders) of customers repairs, as back then, there were no computers.

in trucking, you have to keep detailed records, especially inspection reports in case of a dispute with a shop, or in case of an accident.

when i first started shooting, i'd ask the RSO's, how many guns did they own, and how many rounds gone thru them.

i as a detailed record keeper, don;t want to say to someone buying a gun of mine to hear...."about"

even my house.

i have detailed repair work that dates back to the early 1980's.....which includes copies of permits, estimates, finial invoices, and contractors.
Man you're going to have to "jazz up" that diary of yours if anybody is going to buy any of that stuff....😁

even my house.

Record keeping can be a helpful salvation of sorts in some instances, but can also be an undoing of many things as well? FBI routine and J.Edgar's overly idealistic librarian background and ideals may come to mind?

Record keeping can be a helpful salvation of sorts in some instances, but can also be an undoing of many things as well? FBI routine and J.Edgar's overly idealistic librarian background and ideals may come to mind?
if my home were to be raided by any LE, they would find, guns, ammo, cleaning materials. and those books.

what difference if they find the books or not..???

doesn't matter googling searches, google then sends ads in what we were searching for.

they already track us.
I use Startpage or Duck Duck Go to do my searches.

Also, I browse with Firefox, with the NoScript extension installed and running. By doing so, I can (1) see what is trying to run quietly in the background and (2) block anything I don't want running in the background. Shockingly, just about every website you visit has Google scripts running in the background; I block all Google scripts from running except for those associated with Google Maps. Occasionally I will temporarily allow Google scripts to run if I can't avoid it.

Even this site (thearmorylife.com/forum) is running "googletagmanager.com" scripts in the background, or trying to (I have them blocked).

(About the only heavily trafficked site I have found that doesn't run Google scripts is Microsoft.com (and all of their sites). And you will be hard pressed to find Microsoft scripts running on any site other than their own sites.)

But even with all of that, I'm sure that Google figures out a way to spy on me. I'm just making it a bit more inconvenient for them.

if my home were to be raided by any LE, they would find, guns, ammo, cleaning materials. and those books.

what difference if they find the books or mot..???

Legalities and some evidence, written or otherwise can work both ways - and laws can change?
Written log books can contain other info besides just maintenance? Just cleaner, grease and oil? They often do and can also contain receipt copies or proof of larger round mags and other attachment info as well like usage where with what for example?

Besides, not many people should be too surprised after reading news about how some things can be twisted and manipulated out of context and reality? For example: A half dozen guns and a thousand rounds of ammo soon becomes a fearsome major arsenal in courts or national news? The written logs could contain and verify other things not seen or found and their info as well? Can all depend on the logs info.

Legalities and some evidence, written or otherwise can work both ways - and laws can change?
Written log books can contain other info besides just maintenance? Just cleaner, grease and oil? They often do and can also contain receipt copies or proof of larger round mags and other attachment info as well like usage where with what for example?

Besides, not many people should be too surprised after reading news about how some things can be twisted and manipulated out of context and reality? For example: A half dozen guns and a thousand rounds of ammo soon becomes a fearsome major arsenal in courts or national news? The written logs could contain and verify other things not seen or found and their info as well? Can all depend on the logs info.
date of purchase, date of build, date first put into service, cost including taxes.

the LGS where i got it, or from an online site, like Gunbroker.

ammo used, new (and name brand and grain) or reloads, grain, and how many rounds that range visit.

cleaning and lubing.

nothing else, like modifying, gunsmithing, etc,etc.

which i do not modify, nor do any gunsmithing. (other than change out a plastic MSH for an all metal one).

Last edited:
I posted this the other week. It seems that Calistan gun owners will soon have their personal information released to gun-violence researchers across the country by the California Department of Justice. It will supply information identifying firearm and ammunition purchasers to a newly created research center at the University of California Davis or any other university that requests them. The information includes details such as the buyer’s name, address, date of birth, what they purchased, when and where they bought it, and more. So if you live out there you won't have to worry about storing your own information. Those they share it with will have it up until the moment their system is hacked and your gun info ends up in the LA Times.

Back