testtest

Hammer vs. Striker: Which Do You Need?

Discovered a new benefit to the XD-E, which I'm sure is obvious to most of you......Made batch of iffy ammo a few weeks ago. Primer wasn't completely seated. FTF in my Glock. A few FTF in my XD-E. However, simply pull the trigger again. Now that the primer was seated it fired every time. My Glock required clearing every time. Another reason why I would never trust my ammo for self-defense :(

Springfield Armory XDe: The benefits of a revolver (just pull the trigger again) with also the benefits of a semi-auto. Who could want anything more!? :)
My first carry gun. Love carrying it but have wondered if I made the wrong choice over the Hellcat. I really like shooting a friends Hellcat. I liked the idea of a hammer (as a place to park my thumb while holstering). Now, I'm sure I made the right choice.

Like you, I prefer the hammer for a "thumb parker" and the longer DA trigger pull for the first round (besides being able to just pull the trigger again for a misfire).

Springfield Armory XDe: The benefits of a revolver (just pull the trigger again) with also the benefits of a semi-auto. Who could want anything more!? :)

Not really.

A revolver puts a fresh round under the hammer; in an auto, restriking is a gamble that it will go bang on the second hit.

On your case, due to faulty reloads, it worked...but most of the time, it doesn’t.

This is why on a failure to fire in an auto, I go IMMEDIATELY to failure drill, and don’t try to restrike; I’m not going to gamble that it might go...get a fresh round in, get back in the fight.

I’ve seen this in training, and in competition too many times, when someone who practices restrike hits a dud...

“BANG BANG BANG click...click...click click click....”

I really like the 1911 style hammer. I’m comfortable with it, I love the super short trigger pull of the single action, the idea of the thumb safety with a round in the chamber. However, most if not all 1911 style pistols are limited to 6, 7 or 8 round magazines. Right now, I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in .45 and a SA 911 in .380. Used to have a Kimber Micro 9 as well, but traded it in for the Hellcat because of the magazine capacity. It’s nice having 13 +1 in such a small concealable weapon. Striker fire isn’t my favorite, but having a higher capacity weapon is definitely a plus. The Hellcat is my regular EDC except when I need extra conceal-ability and light weight with gym shorts and a tee shirt, I’ll carry the 911. I love the Kimber 1911, but it’s just too heavy to carry all day everyday.

I have both types, and in both types there are those better than others especially in the hammer catagory based on the placement of the hammer and it's design.

I don't have a preference between hammer or striker fired pistols. I look at the firing system as just one part of the gun, and tend to base my opinions on a particular firearm based on the total package. There are hammer-fired guns I love to shoot (CZ75, 1911), and hammer-fired guns that I do not enjoy (PT92). The same goes for striker-fired guns. I actually tend to mix the two systems with my EDC of a Sig Sauer P365 IWB and either a Ruger LCP II or Springfield 911 in a rear pocket.

Not really.

A revolver puts a fresh round under the hammer; in an auto, restriking is a gamble that it will go bang on the second hit.

On your case, due to faulty reloads, it worked...but most of the time, it doesn’t.

This is why on a failure to fire in an auto, I go IMMEDIATELY to failure drill, and don’t try to restrike; I’m not going to gamble that it might go...get a fresh round in, get back in the fight.

I’ve seen this in training, and in competition too many times, when someone who practices restrike hits a dud...

“BANG BANG BANG click...click...click click click....”
Yea, I thought a lot about that yesterday. If it's an OEM round that doesn't fire, it's probably serious and isn't going to fire.

Not really.

I know -- been shooting revolvers and semi-autos for a long time. Just trying to be funny, which obviously failed :(.

Whether a hammer or striker handgun there's no guaruntee that a second strike will fire the round, so better to rack and chamber a new one just about as fast with a striker gun.

If you train to clear your weapon it can be very fast.

Last edited:
With a DA hammer gun if you do another strike & the round doesn't go off again then you have to clear, but that will take more time than doing it the first time.

Back