testtest

Handgun Most Recommended?

SATRP

Master Class
Founding Member
I've just replied to an email inquiry for a self-defense handgun. I recommended the Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto...for the umpteenth time. I'll always add that survivors should buy the best quality handgun affordable.

When queried, what self-defense handgun do you recommend.

That’s a hard one to just pick one, there are many great options, Springfield 1911, XD line, Glock, S&W, Ruger just to name a few. You also have to think if it’s going to be a man or a woman before you recommend any, many women can shoot a 1911, but also, some can’t handle it. So for me it’s kind of hard to recommend a self defense gun.

The very first question for me is, "Is this gun going to be carried concealed"?
The second question is, "How is this person built and how strong are they"?
I might ask how experienced they are with guns, but normally that kind of question comes from a newby or someone with limited handgun experience.

If they only want a handgun to protect their home and they don't have much experience and aren't planning on getting much training, then I'm all in favor of a revolver with a 4-5 inch barrel. If they have the build and strength to handle it, I'm going to recommend a .44 special or a 45 Long Colt. I might ever recommend a single action only. A Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with .44 specials could be a great choice.

If they are going to carry, then my recommendation would be either a 9mm or a .45ACP unless they have age or strength issues. My mother went from a 1911 in .45ACP all the way down to a Beretta .25ACP as she aged.

I think that the .45ACP XDs is fantastic as a carry gun but I would also be very enthusiastic about the Hellcat if the .45 was too hard for them to handle. I now carry both at the same time as a second gun is faster than reloading. The Hellcat replaced a Boberg which is (as Boberg/Bond Arm) is also a fantastic carry gun, but best for a more experienced gun handler.

As others have said, it depends.

I’m also not the type that assumes that just because I like a certain gun, it is the best for everyone...or if I don’t like it, it’s no good (within reason, of course).

Usually, my response is “Let’s go to the range. I’ll bring a some hardware and ammo, we’ll see what you like, and what works for you”.

The selection will be based mainly on what their end purpose is...Home defense? Carry? Both?

Usually, there’s a few standards that will come along; A P30/SK, VP9/SK, a Sig P229...1911 in various flavors (if I wanna be mean, I let them shoot the Baer), a revolver (J, K or L frame S&W) or two...sometimes the Sig P238, if I know they want something small.

I’d say the most popular auto has been the VP9 or VP9SK, based on what people have bought afterwards...but there’s been a few 1911’s as well.

The most popular revolver is usually some form of J-frame, if a small carry gun is desired, or a Model 10 or 66.

With firearms I try to find out how much, if any, experience a person has with firearms. I think this is important when it comes to handguns since they can range from simple to more complicated to operate. If I see a person has minimal/limited experience I lean them towards those more simpler, especially when it comes to semi-autos.

Especially when it comes to semi-autos, some decent level of dexterity is needed. The industry has recognized this and have developed semi's that are easy to cock. Also, having the ability to take down a semi for basic maintenance/cleaning needs some dexterity & understanding on what is needed. I know folks that once some sort of failure happens they don't know what to do.

As we know most revolvers are pretty simple to use, but they also have their idiosyncrasies.

So IMO it all depends on the person. I also suggest that a newby to get some level of instruction & practice.

Nowadays, ammo availability is a key factor so steering someone towards a handgun that has available ammo can be desirable as long as its something a person can handle.

Last edited:
Well, I don't have the firearm experience of several of the posters on here, and I make it a practice to never recommend a specific firearm to some one that asks, as people are all different (hand size, body: frame, weight, height, etc.). I read articles that mentioned that salespeople et. al., should always suggest to people looking for a firearm (especially first time buyers), to shoot the desired firearms, before choosing. That said, (like others have mentioned) when asked, I'll ask what their intended use for the firearm is, and then mention guns I have in that category they may want to try to rent and shoot at the range. Recently, a friend asked me that question, and was annoyed at my answer. I told him what fit nicely in my hand, may be uncomfortable in his. He wanted something small for pocket carry, so I let him shoot some small sub compacts that I own (Hellcat, Sig P365, Glock G43, Walther CCP M2 9mm, and CZ 2075 Rami BD). He liked the Hellcat and G43, then later thought he liked the Sig P365, later a police officer friend of his mentioned the Sig P938. So he made an appointment (was during the virus shutdown where appointments to LGS were required), with the LGS who was also a Sig dealer. He was choosing between the Sigs P365 SAS (which I don't own), and the P938 (which he selected as it felt better in his hand). Unfortunately the ranges were closed due to pandemic, so he didn't get to shoot it. But he thanked me for giving the advice to go to the LGS and handle different firearms and for letting him test fire some of mine to get a feel of the small sub compacts pistols.

Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto is my first recommendation for personal self-defense. It has enviable applications: target shooting, bipedal self-defense, and mean critter self-defense. My TRP is my primary bear protection. It is extremely easy to carry all day in a quality holster on an authentic gun belt.

I've recommended it to two women, both of whom are diligently searching for one. Just over a month ago, a male friend who has a couple concealed carry handguns asked my opinion on a new handgun. Without hesitation, I told him he'd never, ever regret an SA TRP 1911-A1 .45 Auto. A month ago, a vendor took his money with the promise of a two-day delivery. The vendor has not shipped his gun and will not answer his repeated calls or return his emails.

A ful-size 1911-A1 is very easy to conceal. However, weight makes it problematic for urban carry. However, I have known far more than a few cops who carried 1911-A1s off-duty.

Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto is my first recommendation for personal self-defense. It has enviable applications: target shooting, bipedal self-defense, and mean critter self-defense. My TRP is my primary bear protection. It is extremely easy to carry all day in a quality holster on an authentic gun belt.

I've recommended it to two women, both of whom are diligently searching for one. Just over a month ago, a male friend who has a couple concealed carry handguns asked my opinion on a new handgun. Without hesitation, I told him he'd never, ever regret an SA TRP 1911-A1 .45 Auto. A month ago, a vendor took his money with the promise of a two-day delivery. The vendor has not shipped his gun and will not answer his repeated calls or return his emails.

A ful-size 1911-A1 is very easy to conceal. However, weight makes it problematic for urban carry. However, I have known far more than a few cops who carried 1911-A1s off-duty.

It’s understood that you and the TRP get along and there is no other handgun that can compete. To say that it is above all else in all situations and recommend it above all else is, a little much. In comparison a Glock 21, loaded is 38.2 oz. SA TRP is 45.5 oz. (ounces equals pounds, right?) Glock 21, 13 round capacity. SA TRP, 7 round capacity. Just the first 2 comparisons we have a lighter pistol and more rounds.

I would give the accuracy to the TRP, however the G21 is plenty accurate? I don’t know wha area of the country you reside in, but to carry a full size 1911 year round comfortably and it be feasible is sometimes cumbersome. I have several friends in law enforcement as well and some “old timers” that are retired and we talk firearms and what was and is carried here and there. We compared and have come to conclusion, besides the revolver days, that Glock was a great gun.

To solely recommend a full size 1911 to everyone based on ones on opinion or ones on love for a platform or have auto reply set up that states SA TRP 1911-A1 when emailed about a gun when so many variables go into it.

How old are they? Do they have arthritis? Are they wanting it for home/land or on their person? What part of the country do they live in, the deep south or north west? Is it something they will want to or plan to shoot often of just want to carry for protection?

It’s understood that you and the TRP get along and there is no other handgun that can compete. To say that it is above all else in all situations and recommend it above all else is, a little much. In comparison a Glock 21, loaded is 38.2 oz. SA TRP is 45.5 oz. (ounces equals pounds, right?) Glock 21, 13 round capacity. SA TRP, 7 round capacity. Just the first 2 comparisons we have a lighter pistol and more rounds.

I would give the accuracy to the TRP, however the G21 is plenty accurate? I don’t know wha area of the country you reside in, but to carry a full size 1911 year round comfortably and it be feasible is sometimes cumbersome. I have several friends in law enforcement as well and some “old timers” that are retired and we talk firearms and what was and is carried here and there. We compared and have come to conclusion, besides the revolver days, that Glock was a great gun.

To solely recommend a full size 1911 to everyone based on ones on opinion or ones on love for a platform or have auto reply set up that states SA TRP 1911-A1 when emailed about a gun when so many variables go into it.

How old are they? Do they have arthritis? Are they wanting it for home/land or on their person? What part of the country do they live in, the deep south or north west? Is it something they will want to or plan to shoot often of just want to carry for protection?
B726135A-5430-4D75-8915-10A19CDF4974.gif

Any weapon that has a good track record. Let them figure out what they like and then add your two cents if it has a sketchy past.

We all have our preferences and whether we admit it or not we also prefer the way things look.

BanbBang,

I've never written: "To say that it is above all else in all situations and recommend it above all else is, a little much."

I have no clue from where you pulled that. My first thought was it was the logical fallacy of extremism. Extremism is a logical fallacy in effort to make one appear extreme thereby imputing the author is extreme; hence his entire argument is extreme.

The FACT, as evidenced by my previous posts, is that my TRP is not the single perfect handgun for me. For me, it's too heavy for urban carry. For urban carry, I'd use my Springfield Armory EMP 3. However, if I had only one handgun that would be used for various applications, it would be a Springfield Armory TRP.

The fact is I've recommended other handguns including revolvers depending upon specific circumstances.

The majority of the time I've recommended the Springfield Armory TRP they were recommendations to knowledgeable gun owners, including gun owners who own striker fired handguns. One, a chemical engineer, has a Ruger striker fired 9MM. While she's never said a negative word about her Ruger, After I watched her shoot it, it was obviously she liked my TRP far, far more than her handgun. Based upon my knowledge of her, I expect her to sell her striker. My guess is a gun store salesman told her to buy it. After she fired my TRP, she fell in love with it. Another, a retired cop, owns a Glock 9MM. She bought an EMP 3 9MM based upon my recommendation. She loves it. She hasn't fired her Glock since. She wants to travel to our Western national parks where mean critters roam. Hence, she wants a handgun that might be used to save her life from mean critter attack. My male friend, a hard scientist and pharmaceutical executive, is 6'4". He owns striker fired handguns: a Glock and a Ruger. One's a 9MM & the other a .40 S&W. He wanted more.. He asked me for my handgun opinion. My reply was easy: a Springfield Armory TRP .45. He's built to concealed carry a full-size 1911-A1. He does have a CCW. (Pharmaceutical executives can be in possession of medical grade pharmaceuticals.)

Another retired cop friend has recently sent me a store digital recording of a clerk carrying a striker fired handgun.. It (It appeared to have been a Glock.) discharged while he was carrying it causing him to suffer a near fatal wound.

Glocks are decent handguns. They are relatively inexpensive vis-a-vis forged steel handguns. They're very reliable. However, I do not trust them. Accidental/negligent discharges seem to continue to plague them. I do not own a striker fired handgun. I have no intention of owning one. I love Sig handguns. But its recently introduced striker is accruing an increasingly bad rap of accidental discharges. Sig's "P" series, hammer fired, metal handguns are superb. But I prefer single action semis. It's merely my preference.

While I have recommended other handguns, the handgun I've most recommended is the Springfield Armory TRP. I've recommended an S&W revolver to a woman who's primary concern was a lone sexual predator. She had rudimentary handgun knowledge. For her, a .38 Special revolver made most sense.

I always explain to people searching for a handgun that might be used to save their lives to buy the best quality handgun they can afford.

For me, I have no desire to own a striker fired handgun. I'm 100% good with others going with handguns that best suit them. I do get striker fired appeal. They're about a third of the cost of a TRP. I'd pay far more than that to eliminate the mere notion of an accidental/negligent discharge that might kill me or, far worse, an innocent person.

The same concept applies to big game hunting. When people want to enter the Sport of Kings and seek big game rifle advice, I tell them to buy the best quality rifle they can afford. A big game hunt can climb into thousands of dollars in a hurry, assuming a Rocky Mountain hunt. It could be a fatal mistake to wander deep into Rocky Mountain wilderness areas carrying rifles of dubious quality. And I usually recommend that .308 Win. And no, I don't own a .308 Win. But for a new hunter with one rifle, the .308 will do it all in North America without causing bad habits while bench shooting.

Women do have advantages men don't They can carry purses designed to conceal large semis with their hands on their handguns concealed within their handgun purses.

bangbang, consistent with the title of this threat, the handgun I've most recommended is the Springfield Armory. Either you've misread the title, or you've pulled a non sequitur out of thin air.

Last edited:
bangbang, I have no problem with your affinity for Glocks. They are popular handguns. But I have never recommended a Glock or any striker to anyone.

One more point that I didn't accurately explain: there is a huge difference between a negligent discharge and an accidental discharge, the latter occurring when a discharge occurs without a person pulling a trigger, and another, more reliable handgun wouldn't have discharged.

I shied away from Glocks for many reason, one dominant one was barrel failures (k-booms). But I'm completely good with your Glocks.

Last edited:
Wow! We all have opinions - apparently some stronger than others.

I love 1911s. I carried a Colt Commander LW on the job. It was always difficult to conceal and very heavy by the end of the day - even in my 20s. In the early 1970s I ended up with a custom cutdown which was very expensive but worth it. It was easier to conceal and somewhat lighter.

I have trouble believing anyone could, with a straight face, proclaim that even a Commander size 1911 is easy to conceal in the summer unless wearing a suit or sport coat. I do acknowledge that inside the waistband carry helps, but that presents its own set of problems if one gets into a physical altercation. It is even worse, as a number of DEA agents have discovered when going with small of the back carry. Spine injuries are only one of the problems LEOs have encountered with that particular carry.

Also bear in mind that LE professionals have different assignments and experiences. Until training methods changed, many LEOs had never drawn their weapons in the line of duty. At that same time, some, on different types of duty, were drawing and firing far too regularly. Long before Cirillo's book, many of us were carrying multiple guns to avoid reloading and/or to remain armed after people though we were unarmed. Myself, I often carried five guns. All that weight adds up!

Almost every type of semi auto has its own set of problems regarding accidental discharges. Most of the ones I'm familiar with are usually because the gun handler either didn't understand his/her/its weapon's weaknesses well enough or they were just plain careless. I've personally observed at least ten accidental discharges with 1911s. On the other hand, one of my favorite holsters (Galco Between the Belt Slide) is no longer available because some idiot Glock owner shot himself trying to reholster his gun in a holster that should never have been used with a Glock.

I thought this thread was about trying to help others decide what is best for them, not acting like fanboys. In my experience what is right for me, may be horrible for someone else.

Lot's of interesting replies. First I rarely recommend a J Frame. The recoil is NOT fun and if you do not enjoy shooting you will not practice and if you do not practice well you know the rest. Now the assumption is we are talking about new or fairly new gun owners. For that reason I also stay away from 1911's. Yes, I have 1911's, 4 of them and I shoot them better than my other guns BUT for a new owner they are more maintenance intensive, more difficult to maintain, you need to learn the safety, and usually heavier than other guns.

I will admit to being a H&K fan so my recommendation is usually a H&K with the first preference a P30sk. A nice size handgun with great grip options and trigger options (DA/SA or LEM). It is not difficult to rack, has decent sights and I like a hammer particularly for a newcomer when re-holstering. Now the H&K VP9sk is identical and striker fired with probably a better trigger. I am not against that and have two. A VP9 and a Sig P365. The Sig P365 is not a bad recommendation either. It has a surprising manageable recoil for such a small gun, is reliable, is accurate, and has nice sights. I have a preference for a larger gun most of the time and think someone's first gun should be larger than a micro.

Your best bet is to find a friend or gun store with a selection of handguns to try and find what you find is most comfortable for you. For instance while the for me the Sig micro feels great the same size Walther was horrible. M&P's and H&K's feel good but Glocks and XD's do not. My daughter in law shoots a .22 handgun better than a .22 rifle. Who does that?

BanbBang,

I've never written: "To say that it is above all else in all situations and recommend it above all else is, a little much."

I have no clue from where you pulled that. My first thought was it was the logical fallacy of extremism. Extremism is a logical fallacy in effort to make one appear extreme thereby imputing the author is extreme; hence his entire argument is extreme.

The FACT, as evidenced by my previous posts, is that my TRP is not the single perfect handgun for me. For me, it's too heavy for urban carry. For urban carry, I'd use my Springfield Armory EMP 3. However, if I had only one handgun that would be used for various applications, it would be a Springfield Armory TRP.

The fact is I've recommended other handguns including revolvers depending upon specific circumstances.

The majority of the time I've recommended the Springfield Armory TRP they were recommendations to knowledgeable gun owners, including gun owners who own striker fired handguns. One, a chemical engineer, has a Ruger striker fired 9MM. While she's never said a negative word about her Ruger, After I watched her shoot it, it was obviously she liked my TRP far, far more than her handgun. Based upon my knowledge of her, I expect her to sell her striker. My guess is a gun store salesman told her to buy it. After she fired my TRP, she fell in love with it. Another, a retired cop, owns a Glock 9MM. She bought an EMP 3 9MM based upon my recommendation. She loves it. She hasn't fired her Glock since. She wants to travel to our Western national parks where mean critters roam. Hence, she wants a handgun that might be used to save her life from mean critter attack. My male friend, a hard scientist and pharmaceutical executive, is 6'4". He owns striker fired handguns: a Glock and a Ruger. One's a 9MM & the other a .40 S&W. He wanted more.. He asked me for my handgun opinion. My reply was easy: a Springfield Armory TRP .45. He's built to concealed carry a full-size 1911-A1. He does have a CCW. (Pharmaceutical executives can be in possession of medical grade pharmaceuticals.)

Another retired cop friend has recently sent me a store digital recording of a clerk carrying a striker fired handgun.. It (It appeared to have been a Glock.) discharged while he was carrying it causing him to suffer a near fatal wound.

Glocks are decent handguns. They are relatively inexpensive vis-a-vis forged steel handguns. They're very reliable. However, I do not trust them. Accidental/negligent discharges seem to continue to plague them. I do not own a striker fired handgun. I have no intention of owning one. I love Sig handguns. But its recently introduced striker is accruing an increasingly bad rap of accidental discharges. Sig's "P" series, hammer fired, metal handguns are superb. But I prefer single action semis. It's merely my preference.

While I have recommended other handguns, the handgun I've most recommended is the Springfield Armory TRP. I've recommended an S&W revolver to a woman who's primary concern was a lone sexual predator. She had rudimentary handgun knowledge. For her, a .38 Special revolver made most sense.

I always explain to people searching for a handgun that might be used to save their lives to buy the best quality handgun they can afford.

For me, I have no desire to own a striker fired handgun. I'm 100% good with others going with handguns that best suit them. I do get striker fired appeal. They're about a third of the cost of a TRP. I'd pay far more than that to eliminate the mere notion of an accidental/negligent discharge that might kill me or, far worse, an innocent person.

The same concept applies to big game hunting. When people want to enter the Sport of Kings and seek big game rifle advice, I tell them to buy the best quality rifle they can afford. A big game hunt can climb into thousands of dollars in a hurry, assuming a Rocky Mountain hunt. It could be a fatal mistake to wander deep into Rocky Mountain wilderness areas carrying rifles of dubious quality. And I usually recommend that .308 Win. And no, I don't own a .308 Win. But for a new hunter with one rifle, the .308 will do it all in North America without causing bad habits while bench shooting.

Women do have advantages men don't They can carry purses designed to conceal large semis with their hands on their handguns concealed within their handgun purses.

bangbang, consistent with the title of this threat, the handgun I've most recommended is the Springfield Armory. Either you've misread the title, or you've pulled a non sequitur out of thin air.

Pardon me, I over emphasized on my opening statement, I apologize. I took “umpteenth time” and easy to carry all day, apparently out of context. I’m not disagreeing on the TRP as a platform and it’s capabilities. I’ve stayed in other threads how I am one of the biggest 1911 fans out here. But in this thread and others, it comes out as there is no other and on recommendations, the sad truth is, there is.

Back