testtest

HELLCAT 15 ROUND MAGAZINE EXPLODES

Trigger

Alpha
I had my 15 round magazine explode from my Hellcat Pro. I was firing 9 mm 124 grain Blazer ammo. After around 180 rounds at the range I had what seemed like the magazine exploded and fell out of my gun. It fell into three pieces. The metal magazine was undamaged but the plastic base plate was broken into 3 pieces. fortunately I wasn't hurt except for the bottom portion of my support hand. My hand had black gun powder residue on it from the explosion. I've seen some threads about maybe the magazine spring being too strong or the magazine not seating well with a full 15 rounds and to load it with 14 rounds to prevent this. Any suggestions or fixes?

yeah, i too suspect a bad round, i'd send the gun back to SA, for an evaluation, make sure you write up specific details, including the LOT # of the ammo.

then when you get word from SA, contact Blazer, with the information as well.

maybe they have had some bad ammo pass thru the process, and this could be helpful in them issuing a recall, like the many other ammo companies.

i am not thinking the magazine spring is the issue.

good luck keep us up to date.

I had my 15 round magazine explode from my Hellcat Pro. I was firing 9 mm 124 grain Blazer ammo. After around 180 rounds at the range I had what seemed like the magazine exploded and fell out of my gun. It fell into three pieces. The metal magazine was undamaged but the plastic base plate was broken into 3 pieces. fortunately I wasn't hurt except for the bottom portion of my support hand. My hand had black gun powder residue on it from the explosion. I've seen some threads about maybe the magazine spring being too strong or the magazine not seating well with a full 15 rounds and to load it with 14 rounds to prevent this. Any suggestions or fix

Springfield Armory Customer Service.

1-800-680-6866

Glad you wasn't hurt.
Is it just me or y'all hearing about more and more ammo failures than normal.

Gun shop guy showed me a 22 round that exploded the other day. Are they producing ammo so fast that QC is not being done.

Or hiring incompetent workers who just don't care.

Or maybe it's some of the gun and shooters fault. All i know is ya hear a lot more of it in the last few years.

I used to never wear eye protection which was stupid i know but i do now

No idea what really happened obviously, but when the brass casing splits at the base during firing, the pressures blow backward into the pistol, and blast the magazine down and out (among other potential results...none of which are good). The primer may also be the culprit here...failed to stay seated or split during the firing. I learned over last year or two that overpressure can be caused by both an over-charged case OR an undercharged case. There's a whole bunch of other potential things that might have happened, but ruptured casing have been caught on camera a number of times and often blow out the magazine like you experienced. Save the ammo box it was packaged in (you'll need the lot number), get the ammo manufacturer and retailer involved.

Glad you wasn't hurt.

Gun shop guy showed me a 22 round that exploded the other day. Are they producing ammo so fast that QC is not being done.

Or maybe it's some of the gun and shooters fault. All i know is ya hear a lot more of it in the last few years.

I used to never wear eye protection which was stupid i know but i do now
Its like crime
Always been there in numbers
You just hear about it more due to media present in large numbers for people to speak up about it… aka.. social media and forums

Glad you wasn't hurt.

go to any store, or eatery.....see the workers who are getting paid that HUGE $15.00 per hour, and watch them give a damn how your burger or milk shake looks, or even tastes.

go to any Lowe's, and try and find that HUGE $15.00 per hour sales person when you need one, or one that even knows a 2x4 from a paint brush.

i like Blazer, i really do, it shoots great in my 45's, and "some" 9mm's.....

but of late, i have to say the stored ammo i still have and have had for like over 2 years now..??

i have more confidence in that, than most name branded new ammo.

hell too, i only been reloading now for 1 full year........i have more confidence in MY reloads than most new ammo.

right now, when i buy new ammo, i seek out Fiocchi, in 9mm and 45 ACP, and .38 specials.

I had a round "Kaboom" in an FAL. The force also went thru the bottom and ruined the mag but FALs are built like tanks & after the initial inspection she ran/and has run 100% since.

With a poly pistol I'd have SA take a look at it.

I hope this is the "correct" place for a GEAR question. Looking for info on indoor shooting gloves,petite gal,hands measure 6-6&1/2. Everything too big, do I need Touchscreen tips to shoot-slotted knuckles? Mainly shooting hand thumb joint gets really sore & swollen. Range officer says my grip is good? Thanks.

I hope this is the "correct" place for a GEAR question. Looking for info on indoor shooting gloves,petite gal,hands measure 6-6&1/2. Everything too big, do I need Touchscreen tips to shoot-slotted knuckles? Mainly shooting hand thumb joint gets really sore & swollen. Range officer says my grip is good? Thanks.
My two favorites are Mechanics ( go through the rack of them at your local auto parts store) and 5.11 Competition Shooting Gloves. Try them on before you buy. I never needed touchscreen tips, but if you think you will need to use your phone while shooting and can't get your gloves off easily enough 5.11 and others make them. Viktos has nice shooting gloves too.

Really the 5.11s are the best I have tried. I have 3 pairs of them now.

Back