testtest

Hellcat Magazine differences

Does anyone have a 10 round and an 11 round hellcat magazine? What's the difference? Is it just a different follower that makes it only possible to load 10 rounds? My state has a ban on BUYING magazines over 10 rounds but it is not illegal to possess them. I am hoping I can replace a follower or do a little modification and get that extra round back.

I don't know of anywhere you can buy just the standard follower. Springfield doesn't sell "parts" as it were, except for what you see on the website. I think your only option would be to go to a neighboring free state and buy standard mags. Assuming, of course, you're allowed to do that by MD law.

Not legal advice.... but you may be able to 3d print a follower or trim off excess plasic/spacer. The other option is a mag extension like the hyve extender. All depends on if that is allowed as well.

Not legal advice.... but you may be able to 3d print a follower or trim off excess plasic/spacer. The other option is a mag extension like the hyve extender. All depends on if that is allowed as well.
That would be even better but the issue is most of the extenders say they work on the 11rd mag but not the 10. I'm trying to ascertain what the difference is that they wouldn't work for the 10, or if I can at least get that extra round in from the follower.

Looing at the picture of the 10 round mag, externally, it looks like an 11 round mag, except it is just missing the 11th round sight hole. I am betting that it is just a spacer at the bottom of the mag and not a different follower. If you can open one of your 10 rounders and verify, maybe post a pic, I can compare it to the 11, 13, and 15 round mags that I have here.

Looing at the picture of the 10 round mag, externally, it looks like an 11 round mag, except it is just missing the 11th round sight hole. I am betting that it is just a spacer at the bottom of the mag and not a different follower. If you can open one of your 10 rounders and verify, maybe post a pic, I can compare it to the 11, 13, and 15 round mags that I have here.

15c85898411eab75fcecf651f9277877.jpg

3d1f91890fa767a1a1598845565daa11.jpg

af32061c6613c23fdeb480a9e35cb918.jpg

If you need any different angles or better light let me know.

Edit: here's the spring/follower (round for scale)
41be49b4703313d0d9bcbf88fc0a0498.jpg

From what I can tell,

1. The follower is the same for the 11, 13, and 15 round magazines, so I would think that the 10 is the same.
2. It looks like the 13 round mag is just an 11 with a +2 base plate
3. The 11 and 13 round springs appear to be the same length/turns. I don't know why the changed the base plate retention method for the 13.
4. The 15 round is just longer.
5. The +2 baseplate fits on the 15 round mag, so yo could do a 17.

Looking closer at your base plate, I think that the 1 round spacer is integrated into it. So I think that you just need a "flat" base plate to got 10->11. or a plus (+) adapter to go above 10.

Update: for the +2 baseplate to work , you would have to somehow get that plate off bottom of the 13 round spring as well since that is what keeps it in place.

Hope this helps.

Hellcat 11 13 15 magazines resized.jpg
Hellcat 11 13 15 magazine springs resized.jpg

Last edited:
That kinda sucks. That means that the baseplate for the 10 rounder is "unique" and incompatible with any of the other 3 mag sizes base plates.

Yeah. I already messaged a couple manufacturers that make the extended plates for the hellcat and none of them have any intentions of making a version for the 10 rounders.

Does anyone have a 10 round and an 11 round hellcat magazine? What's the difference? Is it just a different follower that makes it only possible to load 10 rounds? My state has a ban on BUYING magazines over 10 rounds but it is not illegal to possess them. I am hoping I can replace a follower or do a little modification and get that extra round back.
Late to the your post, but wanted to put it up.

The magazine bodies are the same for all the mags.

The 11th round is the first round on the follower, as well with the others that have extended base plates/pads.

No extra sight hole(s) are needed.

The magazine bodies are the same for all the mags.

The 11th round is the first round on the follower, as well with the others that have extended base plates/pads.

No extra sight hole(s) are needed.
There is a difference between the 10 round and the others. Look at the lips the hold the baseplate. The 10 rounder is folded in. The lips on the 11, 13, and 15 rounders are folded out. I was speculating on the differences before I saw the pictures of his 10 rounder.

There is a difference between the 10 round and the others. Look at the lips the hold the baseplate. The 10 rounder is folded in. The lips on the 11, 13, and 15 rounders are folded out. I was speculating on the differences before I saw the pictures of his 10 rounder.
Minor difference in order to hold the extended base plates better. The "bodies" & the number of holes are still the same.

Back