testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

BobaFat, I did not see a review by Aaron of any Swamp Fox optics on the Sage Dynamics site.
FYI, the Swamp Fox Sentinel looks like an interesting option for the Hellcat. But it is in short supply everywhere since the Armory Life article on it. Swamp Fox is saying next delivers will go out September 17. Optics Planet "estimates" my backorder will be filled before then. I have a backup order with Midway. I will cancel the order that ends up shipping last.
A $100 premium is being asked on GunBroker.com and EBay for Holosun 507k & 407k sights that have already been delivered to scalpers. The Holosun 407K is less expensive if you are willing to endure a long delivery delay. The Swamp Fox is currently less expensive if you want a delivery in late September.
Do you have any first hand experience with Swamp Fox optics? I do not.
I have no experience with optics at all. Just a newb that joined this forum to sub to this thread specifically. I think you missed it, but after reading reviews and examining availability, I ordered the Swampfox Sentinel from Steel City Arsenal (as one of the members suggested on this thread) on August 8th. It already arrived today! So, under a week from purchasing to delivery. About to go out to the mailbox now to get it.

Just finished install of the Swampfox Sentinel. Looks badass. One minor thing kind of bothered me. In the manual, they label the three sets of mounting screws that came with the sight: M4 x .07 x 7.5mm screws for Springfield Hellcat, M4 x .07 x 10.1 mm length for Canik, and some M3s for P365. I messed with the 7.5 mm ones they specifically labeled for the Hellcat for 10 min and could not get them to thread. When I look at the sight with waterproof plate and screws in OFF of the gun it looks like the screws only extend past the sight enough to maybe get a 3/4 turn into the holes on the slide, if that. Like I said, I couldn't get them to catch at all. So, I ended up using the 10.1 mm screws. They go down flush with about 4-5 full turns, but I'm still concerned as even the SA website mounting kit comes with the M4 x .07 x 7.5mm screws. BTW @SkyMarshall I got the Sentinel-M for $250. Looks like the Holosun 407K is only $30 difference FWIW.

Can someone who has successfully installed the Sentinel weigh in here? I won't take it to the range until I confirm. I will also email Swampfox. Anyway, here's some quick pics.

tPzdFJE.jpg

6o0LXq1.jpg

vLUn31D.jpg

Just finished install of the Swampfox Sentinel. Looks badass. One minor thing kind of bothered me. In the manual, they label the three sets of mounting screws that came with the sight: M4 x .07 x 7.5mm screws for Springfield Hellcat, M4 x .07 x 10.1 mm length for Canik, and some M3s for P365. I messed with the 7.5 mm ones they specifically labeled for the Hellcat for 10 min and could not get them to thread. When I look at the sight with waterproof plate and screws in OFF of the gun it looks like the screws only extend past the sight enough to maybe get a 3/4 turn into the holes on the slide, if that. Like I said, I couldn't get them to catch at all. So, I ended up using the 10.1 mm screws. They go down flush with about 4-5 full turns, but I'm still concerned as even the SA website mounting kit comes with the M4 x .07 x 7.5mm screws. BTW @SkyMarshall I got the Sentinel-M for $250. Looks like the Holosun 407K is only $30 difference FWIW.

Can someone who has successfully installed the Sentinel weigh in here? I won't take it to the range until I confirm. I will also email Swampfox. Anyway, here's some quick pics.

tPzdFJE.jpg

6o0LXq1.jpg

vLUn31D.jpg
Looks nice. Enjoy. If the optic is snug it should be fine. Especially if you used blue lock tight. You can put a little lock tight on the cut and plate as well to help with the seal. Metric screws have a finer thread and higher thread count. So 3/4 turn is probably grabbing more thread then you think. You can always email the manufacturer if you are that concerned.

Looks nice. Enjoy. If the optic is snug it should be fine. Especially if you used blue lock tight. You can put a little lock tight on the cut and plate as well to help with the seal. Metric screws have a finer thread and higher thread count. So 3/4 turn is probably grabbing more thread then you think. You can always email the manufacturer if you are that concerned.
I emailed the manufacturer and read some reddit threads of people having same issue with other sights. They all say they trimmed the 10.1mm screws down to about 9mm. But, I don't understand why I have to trim at all. The 10.1 screws don't bottom out the slide. Am I missing something here?

I could not use the ones they recommended either with that battery protector sleeve. I'm in Arizona have not seen rain in over 100 days. Lol

I emailed the manufacturer and read some reddit threads of people having same issue with other sights. They all say they trimmed the 10.1mm screws down to about 9mm. But, I don't understand why I have to trim at all. The 10.1 screws don't bottom out the slide. Am I missing something here?
So my mechanical and engineering expertise is in elevators. I know a lot about dynamic force etc... just saying that so you know where I’m coming from. I wouldn’t worry about it. If the optic feels tight, no day light coming through where it meets the plate and gun and the barrel moves freely it should be fine. Worse that happens the optic flys off. I would put a line on the screw and the optic and go fire it. After each shot make sure the optic is tight still and the lines still line up. I lost a screw in my 507c on my Glock 45 during a idpa match and still fired it with no issue until getting a replacement screw... but it’s not my optic or gun. Good luck.

I could not use the ones they recommended either with that battery protector sleeve. I'm in Arizona have not seen rain in over 100 days. Lol
So did you end up ditching the protector sleeve and using the recommended 7mm screws? Or did you trim the longer ones?

I actually ordered the Apex new trigger for the Hellcat. Not that the OEM verisimilitude is bad or anything . But thought maybe a nice upgrade. It should come around the 24th. I love this firearm I’m really accurate with it and I’m pretty fast too. Definitely a good home defensive weapon and awesome range gun

I actually ordered the Apex new trigger for the Hellcat. Not that the OEM verisimilitude is bad or anything . But thought maybe a nice upgrade. It should come around the 24th. I love this firearm I’m really accurate with it and I’m pretty fast too. Definitely a good home defensive weapon and awesome range gun
Please give an update after the install. I was thinking about getting the power precision kit and the apex, and using the apex trigger with the ppr guts, since the ppr reduces pull a little more.

I ditched the protector.
Have you put rounds through it with the Sentinel installed that way yet?? Any issues?

I may try this. At least as a temp solution. If I use the 10.1 mm screws, I notice I can press down on the front of the sight and there is some play...

Emailed Swampfox, responded within 2 hours and told me they've heard of the screw problem with the Hellcat and are currently working on a screw pack just for the Hellcat. They recommend to trim the 10.1 mm screws down to 9.6 or something.

Lots of rounds through so no issues.
I wonder if that little piece is really needed... As I said this is my first RMR, but common sense makes me wonder why this expensive piece of technology has a battery....but no battery door? Even with that tiny piece of plastic just pressed between the slide and the sight, I can't imagine it being "waterproof". Are all RMRs like this?

I wonder if that little piece is really needed... As I said this is my first RMR, but common sense makes me wonder why this expensive piece of technology has a battery....but no battery door? Even with that tiny piece of plastic just pressed between the slide and the sight, I can't imagine it being "waterproof". Are all RMRs like this?
No. The holosun has a tray that slides out on the side for the battery

UPDATE: Idk if I'm just an idiot or what. I took my Swampfox Sentinel off my Hellcat today to try @Guy Mancuso fix by not using the battery protector. Before I get to the good part, Swampfox sends a pack 4 screws in different sizes, so 12 total. I took out the 10.1mm ones (spec for Canick), then I said hell, why don't I just try the other two 7.4mm screws that they spec for the Hellcat. Since they were all mixed in the bag, I just dumped the 4 out on my table and picked the two that looked longest, even though all 4 were pretty indistinguishable. Then I said, hell, why don't I just try it again with the battery protector in place.

Long story short, the Hellcat screw kit that came with it fits perfectly... I just held it down with a little more pressure as I was screwing it in and it caught immediately and was able to do 2-3 full turns on each screw. So @Guy Mancuso, I would suggest trying the other 2 screws in the pack if you ever want to use that battery protector. I really don't know what happened with my first install attempt... maybe I was just babying it too much and was too gentle with it. It sits great, secure, flush, looks amazing. +1 for the Swampfox Sentinel, now just need to go to the range for the real test!

Please guys, RTFM on page 27 it tells you that the screws should not protrude more than 0.95" or 2.4mm from the bottom of the optic. If you look at the right rear screw hole (barrel pointing away) you can see the retractor spring. They don't want the screw going that deep.

I have mounted the RMSc, the Romeo Zero and now the Holosun 507K on my Hellcat. In addition to cutting off the rear lugs I had to shorten the front lugs 0.5mm and shorten the screws so they did not protrude further than 2.4mm.

I just received it this weekend so I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I hope tomorrow. They come zeroed at 25 yds but I prefer to zero at about 10yds. It is for defense use, not for targets 75 feet away. I find by zeroing at the shorter distance it is still very close at 8' - 15' which is where I am most likely to need it. I use a laser bore sight first and then check it with a dry fire laser bullet and target before finally taking it to the range for fine tuning if needed.

In my dry fire practice with a laser bullet I have seen one thing that concerns me and that is having the brightness change by itself after several shots (dimmer). While there is some shock from the striker firing, it is nothing compared to live ammo recoil so I hope it is not a defective unit. This has happened about 3 times. Subsequently I locked the setting and I haven't had it happen since. I will see how it does at the range.

One last comment, the build appears to be excellent and the reticle is very sharp, even at brightness levels beyond where I would use it. I like the circle and dot setting.

Please guys, RTFM on page 27 it tells you that the screws should not protrude more than 0.95" or 2.4mm from the bottom of the optic. If you look at the right rear screw hole (barrel pointing away) you can see the retractor spring. They don't want the screw going that deep.

I have mounted the RMSc, the Romeo Zero and now the Holosun 507K on my Hellcat. In addition to cutting off the rear lugs I had to shorten the front lugs 0.5mm and shorten the screws so they did not protrude further than 2.4mm.

I just received it this weekend so I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I hope tomorrow. They come zeroed at 25 yds but I prefer to zero at about 10yds. It is for defense use, not for targets 75 feet away. I find by zeroing at the shorter distance it is still very close at 8' - 15' which is where I am most likely to need it. I use a laser bore sight first and then check it with a dry fire laser bullet and target before finally taking it to the range for fine tuning if needed.

In my dry fire practice with a laser bullet I have seen one thing that concerns me and that is having the brightness change by itself after several shots (dimmer). While there is some shock from the striker firing, it is nothing compared to live ammo recoil so I hope it is not a defective unit. This has happened about 3 times. Subsequently I locked the setting and I haven't had it happen since. I will see how it does at the range.

One last comment, the build appears to be excellent and the reticle is very sharp, even at brightness levels beyond where I would use it. I like the circle and dot setting.
The whole issue was the screws not being long enough... So I think finally getting them to catch and thread by applying proper pressure is perfect. The screw set that comes with the Sentinel is the same set that SA sells on their official site for optics mounting. If you look at the screws hanging in the sight they barely protrude 1.5mm...

Back