testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

It works really nice. One thing I really like on the Sentinel is the higher window helps keep the red dot in sight for the user. My Zero the red dot would disappear because it was a lower window. With the higher window it stays in the window. I do like adjustable brightness by end user. Not a fan of auto

If you are looking for a SwampFox Sentinel, go to Steel City Armory. They had 50 of the Shake and Awake models of the Sentinel available today. (Wednesday, August 5th 2020)
Don't know how but there they were!

If you are looking for a SwampFox Sentinel, go to Steel City Armory. They had 50 of the Shake and Awake models of the Sentinel available today. (Wednesday, August 5th 2020)
Don't know how but there they were!
Hey guys, new to the forum, new to the Hellcat. I actually just joined the forum after researching what sight I should get for my Hellcat. After browsing through this thread (probably faster than I should've), and realizing the availability of the options out there, I pulled the trigger on a Swampfox Sentinel from Steel City Arsenal (thanks for the tip!). I didn't realize until after I ordered it that it was the Shake and Awake model, I wanted the auto :confused:.

Has anyone else grabbed one from Steel City Arsenal? Never dealt with them before, was wondering how their processing/shipping times are right now. Also, did anyone here choose the Manual version purposely? This will be my first red dot ever so def a newb. Thanks! Glad to be here.

Hey guys, new to the forum, new to the Hellcat. I actually just joined the forum after researching what sight I should get for my Hellcat. After browsing through this thread (probably faster than I should've), and realizing the availability of the options out there, I pulled the trigger on a Swampfox Sentinel from Steel City Arsenal (thanks for the tip!). I didn't realize until after I ordered it that it was the Shake and Awake model, I wanted the auto :confused:.

Has anyone else grabbed one from Steel City Arsenal? Never dealt with them before, was wondering how their processing/shipping times are right now. Also, did anyone here choose the Manual version purposely? This will be my first red dot ever so def a newb. Thanks! Glad to be here.
I shoot USPSA and it's pretty unanimous that manual is better. Auto sounds like a good idea except the sensor is on the gun and when shooting it's the gun that's pushed out in front of you where the light might be different than the light above your eye. This can cause the dot to be dimmer than your eye expects it to be or vise versa.

Also, for consistency sake, setting the brightness at a known level is, for most shooters, easier to become comfortable with.

I bought the sentinel direct from swamp fox and chose the shake and wake manual version for that reason.

For competition USPSA shooting I run a Canik TP9 sfx with a Holosun 507c with the setting on manual and the brightness for the 2MOA dot at about 50% for indoor shooting and higher for outdoor.

If the dot is too small, I just increase the brightness a bit and the dot bleeds slightly and appears bigger.

But to each his own. This is just what I've learned over the years and it works for me.

I have bought from Steel City before. They are good folks. The Romeo Zero is Shake and Awake Bobafat and like Dredd stated above, I really believe that is the better of the two versions. I have one mounted on my HellCat. I have a SwampFox coming and was thrilled they had it and that it was the shake/awake version. The biggest reason folks were down on this feature and wanted an always on feature goes back to optics that didn't co-witness. You pulled your rifle or pistol up and you were aim-blind. But these units co-witness on the Hellcat. In the unlikely event that they would fail, you still have the ability to point/aim/shoot.

Has anyone mounted optics other than the recommended Shield RMSc or JP JPoint? If so how was the fit and can you still co-witness your iron sights?
I am still waiting for my Holosun 407K to be delivered. I do know about the required optics cut, as I have had my S&W Shield milled forth 407k, so I can compare that optics cut with the one on my Hellcat OSP. The Holosun 407k/507k use the Shield RMSc footprint with the exception of the rear locating lugs. Those must be removed. The front lugs are in the same location, but are slightly shorter. So the front lugs on the Hellcat must be shortened as well. So no, you do not need to have a new optics cut milled into a Hellcat to run the Holosun K series micro red dots. But you do need to remove two locating lugs and shorten two others.
Has anyone mounted optics other than the recommended Shield RMSc or JP JPoint? If so how was the fit and can you still co-witness your iron sights?

I am still waiting for my Holosun 407K to be delivered. I do know about the required optics cut, as I have had my S&W Shield milled for the 407k, so I can compare that optics cut with the one on my Hellcat OSP. The Holosun 407k/507k use the Shield RMSc footprint with the exception of the rear locating lugs. Those must be removed. The front lugs are in the same location, but are slightly shorter. So the front lugs on the Hellcat must be shortened as well. So no, you do not need to have a new optics cut milled into a Hellcat to run the Holosun K series micro red dots. But you do need to remove two locating lugs and shorten two others. Check with Maple Leaf Firearms in Texas to see if they are set up to have a OSP Hellcat custom milled for the Holosun K series. They did my slide on the Smith and their work it first rate. Mil & L/E discount. the 407k optics cut is pictured below. Compare it to your OSP to see how little work is required.

Attachments

• IMG_8863.jpg
    IMG_8863.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
I shoot USPSA and it's pretty unanimous that manual is better. Auto sounds like a good idea except the sensor is on the gun and when shooting it's the gun that's pushed out in front of you where the light might be different than the light above your eye. This can cause the dot to be dimmer than your eye expects it to be or vise versa.

Also, for consistency sake, setting the brightness at a known level is, for most shooters, easier to become comfortable with.

I bought the sentinel direct from swamp fox and chose the shake and wake manual version for that reason.

For competition USPSA shooting I run a Canik TP9 sfx with a Holosun 507c with the setting on manual and the brightness for the 2MOA dot at about 50% for indoor shooting and higher for outdoor.

If the dot is too small, I just increase the brightness a bit and the dot bleeds slightly and appears bigger.

But to each his own. This is just what I've learned over the years and it works for me.
Thanks for the info, definitely helpful. I don't compete, so my Hellcat is for CCW/defense. I was interested in the Auto because of the no-fuss, high-stress situation benefits--especially in low light situations like home defense. But I'm seeing now that the Manual might even be better for this.

I have to admit I don't know exactly how the Shake and Wake works... Does that mean I have to press a button to turn on the sight? Or that it is always on "standby" and movement will cause it to active. In other words, can it be holstered or in a nightstand, and activate upon drawing/presenting, or would I have to remember to turn it on first?

I read on Swampfox's website that it goes to sleep after 4 minutes of no motion, but it's still not clear to me whether I have to actually turn it on via a power button or something.

Forgive the ignorance guys, and thanks for the education!

Nothing to forgive. As soon as your gun moves, the optic turns on. The slightest vibration. The optic turns on. You don't have to do a thing. Set it up and forget it!

Nothing to forgive. As soon as your gun moves, the optic turns on. The slightest vibration. The optic turns on. You don't have to do a thing. Set it up and forget it!
Nice. When I realized I had ordered the Manual version I immediately thought I'd made a mistake. But after getting more info from you guys here I think I made the right choice. For now, it's my only home defense gun (I used to have more, long story) so I suppose I will set it to an optimum setting for low light/no light and be good. Sure wish I could turn down the lights at the range though, since I will have to set it differently for that full-lit environment?

Anyway, looking forward to this thing coming in. Hope it doesn't take forever. I know someone mentioned they had bought from Steel City before. I have no qualms about their customer service or whatever. Just wondering if anyone has ordered from them recently so I can get an idea of processing/shipping times.

Thanks for the info, definitely helpful. I don't compete, so my Hellcat is for CCW/defense. I was interested in the Auto because of the no-fuss, high-stress situation benefits--especially in low light situations like home defense. But I'm seeing now that the Manual might even be better for this.

I have to admit I don't know exactly how the Shake and Wake works... Does that mean I have to press a button to turn on the sight? Or that it is always on "standby" and movement will cause it to active. In other words, can it be holstered or in a nightstand, and activate upon drawing/presenting, or would I have to remember to turn it on first?

I read on Swampfox's website that it goes to sleep after 4 minutes of no motion, but it's still not clear to me whether I have to actually turn it on via a power button or something.

Forgive the ignorance guys, and thanks for the education!
Forgive me for my potential ignorance of technical stuff but the shake and wake technology likely operates using a similar gyro chip tech in your phone. You move it and it wakes up.

So yes, when you wear it on your body, it will be woke. When you hang your holster up at night, it will sleep.

Still, at the beginning of the day, I unload the gun, function check the dot, do several practice draws, and review cleanliness esp for lint and oxidization.

I use my USPSA experience as a sounding board for what I've learned from people with many more hours of gun time than myself. I don't compete with my Hellcat but I have tried it out in qualifiers and smaller engagements just to get more rounds through it. For what it is, it works great IMO. I especially like the iron sights and can get a good blend of accuracy and speed that is acceptable to me given the platform. It's no competition gun but it is good at what it does. I wanted the red dot because I'm shooting carry optics for USPSA and I can measure the improvements doing that between iron and dots. My measured improvements in acquisition, speed, and accuracy are significant enough to warrant the cost, weight, and increased size for a carry gun.

Now just have to shop for holsters... :confused:
Appendix or 3-4 o'clock?

This is my 4 o'clock. The claw works for me. I'm searching for a hellcat OSP for appendix.

Appendix or 3-4 o'clock?
Not really sure yet. I'm accustomed to carrying 3-4 o'clock, but I'm considering trying appendix carry with my other EDC gear (wallet, keys, knife, light, etc.). It was my understanding that most decent holsters cater to both options.

EDIT: I've been a "knife guy" more than ever a "gun guy". I carry a "tactical" waved knife more than I've ever carried a gun. My concern with appendix firearm carry is that it would conflict with my knife carry. For anyone who isn't aware, a waved knife's optimum carry position is front right pocket (for right-handers at least). I was thinking I could carry a knife in my left back pocket but would only consider that for a back-up knife.

Also, the only holster I currently have for my Hellcat is a Concealment Express OWB. Open to any criticism/comments about that. It was kind of an impulse buy. And yeah, I accidentally got the OWB vs the IWB but haven't seeked out other holsters yet because of my plan to get a red dot.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for my Holosun 407K to be delivered. I do know about the required optics cut, as I have had my S&W Shield milled for the 407k, so I can compare that optics cut with the one on my Hellcat OSP. The Holosun 407k/507k use the Shield RMSc footprint with the exception of the rear locating lugs. Those must be removed. The front lugs are in the same location, but are slightly shorter. So the front lugs on the Hellcat must be shortened as well. So no, you do not need to have a new optics cut milled into a Hellcat to run the Holosun K series micro red dots. But you do need to remove two locating lugs and shorten two others. Check with Maple Leaf Firearms in Texas to see if they are set up to have a OSP Hellcat custom milled for the Holosun K series. They did my slide on the Smith and their work it first rate. Mil & L/E discount. the 407k optics cut is pictured below. Compare it to your OSP to see how little work is required.
I just installed a 507k on my hellcat.
the work is simple to do. You need to cut the rear recoil lugs off and trim the front indexing lugs .5mm according to the email that holosun gave me with the layout. I took a dremel with a cut wheel, cut the rear lugs of flat, then little by little filed down the front lugs with the same cut wheel until the proper fit was achieved, then put two coats of a clear coat metal protector from amazon. installed it with the screws holosun provided. Sorry did not take a before photo of under the plate. Just need to zero it in now. Also new to this forum. I contacted holosun via email asking what modifications needed to be made. Holosun replies with in 24hours. Modifications took maybe 15minutes and used a hair dryer to speed up the drying process of the clear coat.

Attachments

• C6B7181C-E76D-485C-BB04-EE2DFD5503BD.jpeg
    C6B7181C-E76D-485C-BB04-EE2DFD5503BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 452
  • 28CB64F3-F273-43B4-8A70-7FBDD24F1B34.jpeg
    28CB64F3-F273-43B4-8A70-7FBDD24F1B34.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 448
  • 5F0D13FA-FBBE-4169-91FD-55789E38D979.jpeg
    5F0D13FA-FBBE-4169-91FD-55789E38D979.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 421
  • 29174CF6-2C2B-4605-AEE5-FE0D263EDE39.jpeg
    29174CF6-2C2B-4605-AEE5-FE0D263EDE39.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 426
  • 7772BF00-4492-41DE-9B28-6D67C4958957.jpeg
    7772BF00-4492-41DE-9B28-6D67C4958957.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 424
  • 54CA600D-4F36-430A-BFC5-13793C8C36CD.jpeg
    54CA600D-4F36-430A-BFC5-13793C8C36CD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 454
  • 0F5A3041-A98F-4FDA-8076-E8E1CE27FC2B.jpeg
    0F5A3041-A98F-4FDA-8076-E8E1CE27FC2B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 542
  • 4BE94406-9EB5-4D99-B534-A284423E5D52.jpeg
    4BE94406-9EB5-4D99-B534-A284423E5D52.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 464
  • 8E147161-B213-4A76-A42D-0CB0C96B79EC.jpeg
    8E147161-B213-4A76-A42D-0CB0C96B79EC.jpeg
    989.1 KB · Views: 483
Now just have to shop for holsters... :confused:

This is unsolicited info but.........I use a simple OWB Kydex holster from Bullseyeholsters in Jacksonville, FL. When ordered to fit the Hellcat, it fits it well with or without my Romeo Zero mounted. My IWB is a generic, (Tagua Sport), belt clip holster and or a Mini Scabbard from DeSantis for the Hellcat. Nothing fancy and I carry everyday with one of them. Please note that neither of the IWB holsters I mentioned will fit with an optic mounted.

Alien gear sells an optic cut for the hellcat. Was carrying it with out the optic and gun fit fine. Gun still fits great with the optic

Back