testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

My 507k finally came in, as well as my optic mounting plate. The plate came with instructions to torque everything to 20in/b. The 507k's instruction manual says to torque to 15in/ib. I'm assuming I should go with the optic's recommended torque? Any recommendations from someone who has mounted optics before?

Took the plunge and backordered a 507K ($260 w/free ship). I have not heard back from Springfield on my questions yet so we'll see what they have to say.
You don't need to back order it's in stock on several websites. I'd cancel that order if possible. All the sites below have it in stock.

1607399374700.png

It depends on screw size. I would go with the optics recommendation as they know the screw diameter that will fit their optic. I'm not sure why you need an optics plate but almost everyone with more expertise than me recommends against them as they make the optic sit much higher.

It depends on screw size. I would go with the optics recommendation as they know the screw diameter that will fit their optic. I'm not sure why you need an optics plate but almost everyone with more expertise than me recommends against them as they make the optic sit much higher.
I'm not ready to modify my slide just yet and the plate I got is only .045″ thick which really doesn't make the optic sit that much higher. Added a picture for reference, you can barely notice the height the plate adds. Also I should probably have mentioned the adapter plate came with its own set of screws I am supposed to use. It's specifically for the 507k, so should I just go with the plate's recommended torque then since I'll be using the plate's screws?

plate.png

Last edited:
Personal preference I suspect. I went with grinding index lugs/flush mount because I saw some posts out there that even flush, you only retain about 50% of the iron sights as usable (I can confirm this with mine). If you don't mind the "lowitness" configuration, the plate is an easier way to go.

My 507k finally came in, as well as my optic mounting plate. The plate came with instructions to torque everything to 20in/b. The 507k's instruction manual says to torque to 15in/ib. I'm assuming I should go with the optic's recommended torque? Any recommendations from someone who has mounted optics before?

You don't need to back order it's in stock on several websites. I'd cancel that order if possible. All the sites below have it in stock.

View attachment 12663
Had mine tightened to Holosuns specs (15 lbs.). I used the one pair of screws (it comes with two pairs, thinner and thicker - Hellcat takes the thicker ones). Blue Loctite applied as well.

The backorder was placed before they became more available per the online stores recommendation. Glad I did...they filled it the next day!

It is a bummer to see the difficulty many have had with various red dot sights. There seems to be a noticeable quality range between them all. I have been using my Swampfox Sentinel for a few months and am really enjoying it. I did use blue Loktite and it is holding strong. The quality and durability of the sight has been clear to me. It fits well on the slide and the screws that came with it work perfectly. I bought mine from Swampfox and paid $238 with a 20% off coupon code. Could not be happier.

What coupon code did you use?

The 32 MOA circle option on the 507K comes in very handy when paired with a laser bore sight to "pre-zero." Provided you trust your LBS (I had no reason not to -- it positioned snuggly in the chamber), you can easily adjust the circle to get the laser dot in the center of the circle. Then, switch the 507K over to the single red dot option and see if you see two, or just one dot. A pretty simple, no cost way to re-check your zero every once in awhile (provided the range test confirms it).

Long time reader, first time poster. Ive read through all these posts and I appreciate the education that I’ve received from other forum members. New hellcat owner looking for a red dot. I had a shield RMSc on order and just cancelled it, I had read that the RMSc had a battery change tray on a reputable review site, I just learned That was incorrect. That’s a deal breaker for me. Is the 507k the only available sight with a battery tray?

Long time reader, first time poster. Ive read through all these posts and I appreciate the education that I’ve received from other forum members. New hellcat owner looking for a red dot. I had a shield RMSc on order and just cancelled it, I had read that the RMSc had a battery change tray on a reputable review site, I just learned That was incorrect. That’s a deal breaker for me. Is the 507k the only available sight with a battery tray?
Hey there.
It could be the only one with a tray. I have read that other RDS makers did not pursue a battery tray because it adds too much height to the sight and restricts the use of the iron sights even further as a backup.

I don't know but seems to me a battery change every now and then is a small price to pay for 100% co-witnessing. I have the SMSc for about a year now and the battery is still good as new as far as I can tell.

Just one guy's POV.

Edit to add: My ultimate plan is to let this battery go till it's dead to see how long they are actually good for ..... then depending on that first test, decide from there how often to change it out normally. It's normal to change out batteries in smoke detectors, alarm systems, even the FOBs for our cars and trucks every year ...... so why not our RDS's.

Just a thought. (y)(y)(y)

I don't know but seems to me a battery change every now and then is a small price to pay for 100% co-witnessing. I have the SMSc for about a year now and the battery is still good as new as far as I can tell.

Just one guy's POV.

Edit to add: My ultimate plan is to let this battery go till it's dead to see how long they are actually good for ..... then depending on that first test, decide from there how often to change it out normally. It's normal to change out batteries in smoke detectors, alarm systems, even the FOBs for our cars and trucks every year ...... so why not our RDS's.

Just a thought. (y)(y)(y)
My plan is once a year, and removing the sight for that seems like a major PIA.

My plan is once a year, and removing the sight for that seems like a major PIA.
If there was no benefit nor positive advantage to it I would agree. But the reality is that the positive trade off is 'Absolute co-witness' with the good factory iron sights on the Hellcat. The Shield sights are 2 of only 3 sights that will 100% co-witness I believe.

So if that's not a consideration for you then changing the battery might seem like a PIA. Even at that there is only 2 little screws to take out and put back in. I'm pretty sure I could change mine out and be re-sighted in about 10-15 minutes.

Has anyone mounted optics other than the recommended Shield RMSc or JP JPoint? If so how was the fit and can you still co-witness your iron sights?
I purchased the Swampfox Sentinel along with the iron sights guard at Christmas time. I really like it. Although it stays on all the time (auto version) and some don't care for that because of battery life, I don't mind. It's adaptiveness to ambient light is super quick.

I have a SMSC on my Hellcat now for 11 months, Not one problem, co witness great. shoots better than me.
Will probably change battery out soon, was curious to see how long it would last. It mounted right out of the box and was almost right on.. I love it. Bought from Springfield armory. Good service.

It is four screws. Takes about three minutes, if you go slow and not exactly a nail breaker. The zero is unaffected. I removed mine on first use, just be be sure there was no change.
Lee, when you said 4 screws it caught me off guard since I remembered only 2 ..... so I went to the safe and took mine out to be sure and as I remembered, I only have 2.

You are talking about a Hellcat and a Shield sight right?

Lee, when you said 4 screws it caught me off guard since I remembered only 2 ..... so I went to the safe and took mine out to be sure and as I remembered, I only have 2.

You are talking about a Hellcat and a Shield sight right?
No, @jumpinjoe , you're right. I was going off of memory as I didn't have the gun with me. I wanted to say two, but it seemed four would be more solid than the two so I figured I mis-recalled.
Good catch and sorry about that. I don't seem to be able to edit my note to correct it.

No, @jumpinjoe , you're right. I was going off of memory as I didn't have the gun with me. I wanted to say two, but it seemed four would be more solid than the two so I figured I mis-recalled.
Good catch and sorry about that. I don't seem to be able to edit my note to correct it.
No problem my friend. It's all good! (y) (y) (y) I thought maybe I had misunderstood and you were talking about something entirely different.

Back