testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

I checked the Shield and J Point...ended up buying a Riton Optics X3 Tactix MPRD Micro Red Dot. It fits the Hellcat perfectly without any overlap. The MOA is 3 and it doesn't "quite" co-witness with the iron sights. By that I mean that I can see the top half of the front sight against the rear notch but it's simpler to just use the red dot. Witth me, it has taken some getting used to just relying on the red dot and not the front sight. I purchased my red dot from Rainier Arms for $199 + tax...around $213 delivered. I have had one instance of red dot failure where the red dot would not illuminate, however Riton is in the process of replacing the entire unit through their lifetime warranty. we'll see, over time, if there is any long seated problem there or if my unit was just a fluke.

Are you trying any other optics out or are you just sticking to irons now?
I'm sticking with irons for now. If the sentinel had a gap at the back like the shields do it would have been perfect.

I like the looks of the holosuns but I don't want to modify the slide yet and I'm still waiting for a picture to see what the 507k looks like when mounted with an adapter plate.

Having personally modified my Hellcat for the 507K, I can tell you it was not difficult and it is the RMR to beat for the Hellcat or the Sig P365XL. It is a fantastic and rugged sight. You can co-witness the front sight as it has the notch. A decent machines can do it in 5 minutes, it probably took me 10-15.

Anyone have a recommendation on a decent torque wrench I can use for installing a pistol optic? Looking for something I could also use on rifles since I'm getting one of those soon as well.

So if there is no harm to the slide's ability to accept other optics in the future then what purpose do the posts that must be removed even serve in the slide to begin with? There's no downside at all to making these modification to the Hellcat slide?
I'm asking the exact same question here...hoping to learn more about the function of the posts before doing any mods

This is pure speculation on my part, but some of the red dot optics are polymer with thin screws (going from memory some RMRs came with thinner screws than others). They would inherently have more flex and put more force on the screws during slide recoil so the posts would act to add extra support and prevent the screws from snapping. The 507K uses thicker screws and the support structure is a very solid metal. Also the fit is very snug so it doesn't allow for any motion during recoil. I'm not a mechanical engineer but an electrical engineer so I could be wrong.

LOL I totally understand. Im not sure where the Riton is made or who actually makes it. Swampfox is in Tucson which is actually 120 miles from me. I know how you feel I dealt with all this crap with the Sig P365 with out the slide cut and tore my hair out

Guy - you made a few points I want to revisit with you and those out here...bought my Hellcat for one primary reason - personal self defense. My interaction with it will be minimal compared to other big shooters out here. Maybe once a month to the range to stay sharp/hone skills. Bought it as my CCW.

As for a red dot...well...I am drawn to gadgetry, and have to resist the urge (or get swept up in groupthink) to buy something I think I need, but in reality never will, at least not in a chaotic, high adrenaline personal defense scenario.

Reasons to get one? Well, maybe there's some training value to be had....and I don't want to **** away a lot of $$ on missed shots at the range. And maybe there is some personal self-defense value I just know about yet.

Now that I've bored you with my story ;), to my question...will a RMD likely play any real role in a self-defense scenario? When I read comments about having issues finding the dot I think "There won't be time for that in a high-stress situation. I just need to be skilled at "point and shoot" at 25 yards or less." I don't see a personal defense scenario where I'd be shooting at anything far off (25 yards+)...or am I missing something?

So...for those of us who own a gun solely for these reasons, is a red dot a true value-add? BTW, I'm 62 and do wear vision correction, and assume this will only get worse as the years go by. How does a dot accomodate those who wear glasses full time, or are blurry-sighted without them (since my glasses may or may not be available in a bad situation)?

....and not that it matters, but if I DO go ahead, I've narrowed it down to the Swampfox or the Holosun 407K (yes, I'm aware of the necessary mod to the slide)

Last edited:
I am not an expert on self defense and I am not Guy but there are numerous experts on YouTube that are and the majority of them recommend a red dot. See videos by Sage Dynamics and Aaron Cowan as a good place to start.

Thanks BJ - will check those out today (although any video by a manufacturer is biased, right?)

Were you hesitant to grind down the posts on the Hellcat for any reason? Concerns about sacrificing stability of the sight on recoil?

Because I am not a machinist I was worried I would screw up the job but I took my time and I was careful and I measured after each slight removal on the front posts. For an amateur I thought I did a decent job. I did think about taking it to a local machine shop as it wouldn't have been very expensive to do a 5 minute job with the right tools.

Yes, I used low speed and took it slow as it will sand off pretty quick. I don't recall exactly which attachment I used but it was a fine grain. May have been a small grinding wheel.

I have an RMSc Shield on my Hellcat but while reading these posts, a question popped into my mind. Would the grinding down of the posts on the OSP or grinding your slide on the non-OSP void your warranty if you needed factory service? Just curious. Anybody know?

I don't know the correct answer but I would think that unless the manufacturer could show how that would effect the gun such that it would not properly function the answer would be no that it wouldn't.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone asked Springfield this question and they indicated the warranty would remain intact (but probably not a bad idea to get it somewhere in writing and post here).

Last edited:
I don't know the correct answer but I would think that unless the manufacturer could show how that would effect the gun such that it would not properly function the answer would be no that it wouldn't.

You posted this on another thread on Aug 14:

I just spoke with Holosun and Springfield on the modification to the Hellcat. Springfield says that as long as the modification doesn't effect the operation of the pistol it does not invalidate the warranty. They did not know what modification was needed for the lugs for the Holosun. Holosun says the rear lugs need to be completely removed (milled or ground off) and the front lugs need to be lowered by ½ mm. In other words, not much reduction on front lugs. Some people are using a Dremel and others a manual flat file. I asked why no lug holes in the rear of the sight and it was as I suspected, due to water proofing requirement.

Took the plunge and backordered a 507K ($260 w/free ship). I have not heard back from Springfield on my questions yet so we'll see what they have to say.

Back