testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

Another thing to consider is availability. It's getting better but some online sellers over promise IMO. At least with SwampFox, they straight out tell you the ship date which has been consistently 45 days or less, depending on when you place the order.

Hey guys, you know if a MRD like the Sentinel would be usable for a compact size handgun? I have a like new (used once at the range) Sentinel but I've since put my Hellcat in the safe and just don't know what to do with it...

To answer @Knights question about ability to mount other RMSc red dots on a slide modified for the Holosun 407K/507K, the answer is yes, it does not prevent the other red dots from mounting. The two removed posts have to be removed to maintain the water tight integrity. Unlike red dots that use a gasket on the base to mount to the slide and provide some level of water tightness, the base of the 507K is sealed and water tight without the need for a baseplate /slide gasket. Much more water tightness integrity as there are no holes in the base where the two removed posts were located.

Personally, I prefer this sealed method and Aron's review is high praise indeed when only the Trijicon RMR get higher reviews from him. I doubt I will ever be as hard on an optic as he is. Now if they just made a sub miniature red dot that would fit on an LCP 2... Red dot sights spoil you real quick.

To answer @Knights question about ability to mount other RMSc red dots on a slide modified for the Holosun 407K/507K, the answer is yes, it does not prevent the other red dots from mounting. The two removed posts have to be removed to maintain the water tight integrity.

So if there is no harm to the slide's ability to accept other optics in the future then what purpose do the posts that must be removed even serve in the slide to begin with? There's no downside at all to making these modification to the Hellcat slide?

Now if they just made a sub miniature red dot that would fit on an LCP 2... Red dot sights spoil you real quick.

The most redeeming qualities of the LCP platform are size and simplicity. Why go ruin that with a red dot?

No doubt about it, I'm strapping 9mm whenever possible vs 380. But there are times when I gotta wear swim trunks or dress suits and the LCP is better than nothing.

But I've shot the LCP I AND II competitively and it's just not worth much for than 5 yard targets.

When I wear the LCP, I'm strictly working in a minimalist environment.

I'm not a competitive shooter but with the iron sights I had no difficulty staying in a 4" group at 7 & 10 yds and 3" group at 5 yds. When I add a laser green dot the groups are tighter. My LCP 2 is 22LR. Virtually no recoil and easy to keep on target. With more practice, I would expect to narrow it down to a 1" at 5yds and 2" at 10 yds.

I'm not a competitive shooter but with the iron sights I had no difficulty staying in a 4" group at 7 & 10 yds and 3" group at 5 yds. When I add a laser green dot the groups are tighter. My LCP 2 is 22LR. Virtually no recoil and easy to keep on target. With more practice, I would expect to narrow it down to a 1" at 5yds and 2" at 10 yds.

Well, I'm using the competitive example as a proxy for a realistic stressful situation.

Is the LCP deadly: Certainly. Can I hit 8 inch steel targets at 10 yards? Yes. Can it hit those 8 inch targets on the run and transition between 6 or 8 of them? Yes

Is it the best tool for the job: I'd say not by a long shot.

The sights are such low profile as to be near useless, magazine capacity is half the Hellcat, 380 is underpowered compared to 9mm, the short barrel affects bullet velocity negatively compared to bigger guns, etc.

Its good for what it is which is a compact gun. For me at least, adding lasers, lights, and red dots negates that primary advantage. Any larger and I'll just carry the Hellcat.

Last edited:
My dilemma is that I own a Hellcat, a Sig P365-XL (both with Holosun 507K red dot sights) and and LCP 2 22LR. My better half wants me to get rid of one. For a 9mm, I like the size of the Hellcat as it is more easily concealed Than the Sig but I dislike its snappy recoil compared to the Sig. The Sig has relatively light recoil and it is very easy to put on target. When I have had women shoot the two they always preferred the Sig. Since I am trying to get my wife to not be afraid to shoot and to get her on the range I know I can't have her shooting the Hellcat. My plan is to start her with the LCP with its light recoil and then when she's ready advance her to the Sig. That means I have to sell my Hellcat which I really hate to part with. Such is life. You have to keep the wife happy.

My dilemma is that I own a Hellcat, a Sig P365-XL (both with Holosun 507K red dot sights) and and LCP 2 22LR. My better half wants me to get rid of one. For a 9mm, I like the size of the Hellcat as it is more easily concealed Than the Sig but I dislike its snappy recoil compared to the Sig. The Sig has relatively light recoil and it is very easy to put on target. When I have had women shoot the two they always preferred the Sig. Since I am trying to get my wife to not be afraid to shoot and to get her on the range I know I can't have her shooting the Hellcat. My plan is to start her with the LCP with its light recoil and then when she's ready advance her to the Sig. That means I have to sell my Hellcat which I really hate to part with. Such is life. You have to keep the wife happy.
No doubt about it, the 365 is an excellent option.

For me, I felt the Hellcat's ability to run the red dot compared to the larger 365 XL the deciding factor. All small guns are snappy. They aren't target guns, they aren't range guns, they aren't plinkers.

I'm saying this from experience, if you sell any of those, someday you may want them back.

With a Holosun 507K red dot, Apex trigger, JM4 Tactical Holster and extra magazine, I have over $1,132 at my cost and I bought before things went crazy. All of these items are hard to find but I want to sell it as a package. I am not looking to gouge anyone so I think I should be able to find a buyer at my cost. What do you think?

Last edited:
No doubt you have a great setup. I'm pretty much the same as well . I'm liking my Sig 938 to be honest
I like my 938. But I'm slower on the manual safety than I am on the Hellcat. My 938 went into my safe when I bought the Hellcat.

But I probably won't sell the 938 because I have the 22 slide and that's working out good for me during this ammo shortage.

Dude, didn't you say you just bought a Hellcat in early August 2020? Now you're putting it out to pasture?

What happened? Glock perfection?
It's complicated. Definitely not Glock perfection lol. I fell in love with a FN 509 MRD Midsize (Compact) and I'm trying to dedicate all applicable funds towards that. I found that I can carry/conceal it damn near as comfortable as the Hellcat, and the thing is just amazing. With that being said, every thought I have about selling my Hellcat lasts about 3 seconds.

I have only used the Shield RMSc so far but after reading the story on The Armory Life about the SwampFox sights I have ordered a couple. Interested to see how they fare? I have had no problems with the Shields but always looking for new things. BTW I can pretty much hit the head of a USPSA target at 25 with my Hellcat OSP all day long so the thing must be a pretty great shooter. Not all little guns are so accurate. Very few likely..

I'm pretty sure that you can hit the head of a USPSA target at 25 all day long because you're Rob Leatham, not because your OSP is a great shooter.

Breaking news (maybe...was to me anyway)! Just ran across a new option. Finally, Trijicon has joined the fray with the RMRcc. As the name implies, it is very, very similar to the RMR. Even better news is that obviously not many folks know about it yet because there are some still available. I'm ordering one and giving up on the issues I've had with the Riton X3 MPRD. The RMRcc comes in 6.5 and 3.25 MOA options and boasts a 4 year battery life. A couple down sides that I see are that unlike the Holosun's ability to change batteries without removing the optic, you'll need to remove the RMRcc when you run out of juice. And by the way, you'll need an adapter plate for most platforms (AC32092 for the Hellcat/Shield C.O.R.E.). A second (third?) down side is that from what I can see in the images you may lose the iron sights co-witness. It is a pricey model at retail of $699 ($70 retail for the adapter plate) but I found them at Midway for $529 & $54 respectively. The adapter plate is on backorder though 🤬

Here is the info sheet from Trijicon:
RMRcc

I’m baffled why you would want to spend more than the gun is worth when very viable options are half the price. Having a adapter plate is the worst thing you can do. You will no doubt lose co witness. So now when you raise the gun to your eye your going to have to find the red dot which most likely be way above your front site. I tried this on a Sig 365 and it turned out to be junk. I sold the gun because I wanted a red dot to actually co witness. barjohn is using the Holson K and I have the Sentinel they both co witness with no adapter plates are durable and work in great. Your money but I’d think about this RMR there are downsides as you pointed out that don’t make it worth 600 dollars

Trijicon has joined the fray with the RMRcc.

You should check out Sage Dynamic's video on the 507k. Personally I feel that Trijicon screwed up their entry to the micro red dot market. I do not want an optic that's going to sit absurdly high on my slide. Even if the RMR cc was the same price as the 507k I'd still go with the 507k. Unfortunately they aren't in stock but I don't mind waiting since it's the only micro dot on the market that has had some serious durability testing done on it and passed.

I’m baffled why you would want to spend more than the gun is worth when very viable options are half the price. Having a adapter plate is the worst thing you can do. You will no doubt lose co witness. So now when you raise the gun to your eye your going to have to find the red dot which most likely be way above your front site. I tried this on a Sig 365 and it turned out to be junk. I sold the gun because I wanted a red dot to actually co witness. barjohn is using the Holson K and I have the Sentinel they both co witness with no adapter plates are durable and work in great. Your money but I’d think about this RMR there are downsides as you pointed out that don’t make it worth 600 dollars

Guy - Valid points. Here is the logic that I applied.

1. Spending more on an optic than the firearm itself is not uncommon at all; I don't like it, but for quality I'm willing to do it. I could have a Nikon that does the job just fine, but if I have the means to get a Steiner I'd rather have it.

2. I liked the co-witness but when I bought the Hellcat I was getting it specifically to use the optic as the primary reference. I intend to train that way and God forbid, should I need to employ it, protect myself that way. What do I do in the staggeringly small chance that I do face a life/death situation and in that few minutes (seconds?) of time the battery dies? Well, first I shoot in the direction of the bad guy and/or extricate myself from the threats. Then I change my batteries (and probably my drawers).

3. As for the Holosun, that is what I have been shopping for and there just are not any to be had. For months. And months. I had the Riton and I like the optic but it just does not seat well on the gun, at least for me, and this is the second one; first went back under warranty and the second one is having the exact same issues. Since the Sentinel looks to be the exact same optic but under a different name, I shied away from that one.

I don't have wads of cash falling out of my pockets, unfortunately, but I do want to go with something that I can actually acquire and trust.

My $.02.

Roach

Back