testtest

Hellcat Pro Broken

dafoxs

Operator
This is just an FYI, wondering if anyone one else has broken the striker on any S.A. pistols???
After almost a couple thousand rounds thru my Hellcat Pro. Wiped off the gun like usual, put it all back together, like usual, dry fired the trigger one time, it clicked, trigger wouldn't reset. Right away I knew what happened. Pulled the striker out and low and behold, the main shaft broke in half. This is the second time this has happened. First time it was on the XDS mod 2. For some odd reason, there is a small hole running top to bottom on these striker. The break happens right at this hole. It is very alarming, plus the Striker sleeve is made out of the cheapest plastic. I ordered the upgrade kit from MCarbo. It's all Titanium, even the sleeve.
Everyone says you can dry fire any pistol and never have an issue. I'm here to say, use a snap cap if you do. Even using a laser pointer in the chamber is bad news after the rubber wears out. I normally do about 50-75 dry fires a day. Maybe too much, who knows. I guess this could happen to any gun, but to see so much plastic inside on these high impact areas, is alarming to say the least.

I do a lot of dry fires with the Mantis Laser Academy Laser Cartridge, the thing is you have to change out the end cap (the back of the cartridge where the striker hits) periodically. Mantis sells them for $15.00 each. That way you don’t really have to worry about any wear on the striker.😊

Didn’t I read somewhere the original HellCat had issues with broken Striker’s?

Anyway I don’t own a HC
I don’t dry fire my weapons (at all) except as mentioned by @Annihilator to disassemble my XD Mod2 40 for cleaning and this of course is ensuring it doesn’t have a round in the chamber.

I always say it’s your gun and you do you but 50-75 dry fires a day is insane.

I always say it’s your gun and you do you but 50-75 dry fires a day is insane.
Why do you say that? Most of the professional trainers that I've seen and worked with directly recommend a similar practice regime. Half hour a day and then validate what you practiced during dry fire on the range.

It's easy to do, especially if you have a training system that makes it enjoyable (e.g. Mantis).

Sorry, I wasn't suggested that you didn't have a right to your opinion. I was just curious as to your reasoning behind that opinion, maybe you have some insight that I don't possess?
No problem didn’t mean to be snarky, I just don’t believe in dry firing to begin with and to do so that many times in one day I find extremely excessive.

I’ll say again if you think it’s ok then you do you “it’s your gun” and although doing so is not a factual determination that caused the firing pin to break either way the gun broke and now can’t be shot at all.

Is there any information on that particular gun not being dry fired at all having a firing pin break?
Something we will probably never know.

This is just an FYI, wondering if anyone one else has broken the striker on any S.A. pistols???

Everyone says you can dry fire any pistol and never have an issue. I'm here to say, use a snap cap if you do. Even using a laser pointer in the chamber is bad news after the rubber wears out. I normally do about 50-75 dry fires a day. Maybe too much, who knows. I guess this could happen to any gun, but to see so much plastic inside on these high impact areas, is alarming to say the least.
Why do you say that? Most of the professional trainers that I've seen and worked with directly recommend a similar practice regime. Half hour a day and then validate what you practiced during dry fire on the range.

It's easy to do, especially if you have a training system that makes it enjoyable (e.g. Mantis).
if you go back to the original posting, the o/p says to use snap caps, if you want to dry fire...

however, his statement makes "me wonder" if he himself DOES use snap caps or not, as he basically seems to allude to he does NOT.

dry firing is ok, but the use of snap caps is recommended too, by many.

he needs to clarify if he indeed used snap caps, or not......

if you go back to the original posting, the o/p says to use snap caps, if you want to dry fire...

however, his statement makes "me wonder" if he himself DOES use snap caps or not, as he basically seems to allude to he does NOT.

Yeah, I've read the same thing regarding snap caps, personally I use laser cartridges most of the time and snap caps for practicing clearing malfunctions and doing reloads. I've also seen people that say you should insert a magazine while dry firing, not sure I buy that but it could be true I suppose (if so I'm in trouble because I don't use magazines for dry fire much of the time).

The one thing that everyone seems to agree on, NO dry firing on rim fire guns.

Seems to be a bit of a controversial topic in the firearm community, some people swear by it, some people avoid it altogether. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I was using the Mantis laser academy with the lazer in the chamber. You can't put a snap cap in with that. After I wiped it down, put it back together, the lazer was not in the chamber. One of the main points I was trying to make was all the cheap plastic used in these guns, especially the Striker sleeve. I should be getting the new all titanium Striker assembly shortly. I'll update this after I do. There has been many reports of these oem strikers breaking. To me that leaves questions in my mind. What if I needed the gun at that moment to defend myself and I heard that blank click. Putting a hole in the Striker, to me, just creates a very week spot. Most reports of the broken Strikers show the top hook, you see in the slide, just sheers off.

Yeah, I've read the same thing regarding snap caps, personally I use laser cartridges most of the time and snap caps for practicing clearing malfunctions and doing reloads. I've also seen people that say you should insert a magazine while dry firing, not sure I buy that but it could be true I suppose (if so I'm in trouble because I don't use magazines for dry fire much of the time).

The one thing that everyone seems to agree on, NO dry firing on rim fire guns.

Seems to be a bit of a controversial topic in the firearm community, some people swear by it, some people avoid it altogether. 🤷‍♂️
on the very rare occasions that i dry fire practice, i insert the magazine, loaded with all snap caps. that way, i waste no time in practicing.

same as any of my revolvers, all chambers get a snap cap.

Sorry, I was using the Mantis laser academy with the lazer in the chamber. You can't put a snap cap in with that. After I wiped it down, put it back together, the lazer was not in the chamber. One of the main points I was trying to make was all the cheap plastic used in these guns, especially the Striker sleeve. I should be getting the new all titanium Striker assembly shortly. I'll update this after I do. There has been many reports of these oem strikers breaking. To me that leaves questions in my mind. What if I needed the gun at that moment to defend myself and I heard that blank click. Putting a hole in the Striker, to me, just creates a very week spot. Most reports of the broken Strikers show the top hook, you see in the slide, just sheers off.
i am not familiar with laser practice.

is it in the chamber, then you fire, it hits the "primer....like back end" then "lights up"....???

yes, i took apart all my glocks when they reached like 1,000 rounds to clean out the striker chamber/channel(?) to fully clean that area, and YES, they too have plastic parts. i did not replace any, as all they are, are my range guns.

i will take what you say about your Hellcat Pro, and reexamine my Hellcat (non-pro) and maybe opt for a new striker and associated pieces from MCarbo as well..i just had the trigger and springs replaced recently...the striker i can do myself.

Last edited:
Back