testtest

HEX Optics: A High-Tech Swarm

Interesting to see some new optics on the market. There are some things I like, such as the 2032 battery and the serrated housing to reduce glare, but there are some things that raise questions as well. Hopefully someone here can answer those questions for me.

* I generally consider any red dot with an auto shutoff to be hobby/range toy tier and would not consider them for duty or carry. Is the auto-off feature on the larger sight user defeatable, or is my dot likely to be off when I need it most?

* Those are some impressive battery life numbers but since it does not have a shake-awake feature, it makes me wonder what intensity level those numbers are from. What would the battery life be at max setting?

* I tend to not like the auto-adjust feature on most current generation dots as it tends to freak out if you are firing from a car or room that is dimmer than where your target is. What is the response time on the sensor and is it mounted on the muzzle side of the optic or on the top? Also what is the response time going from drawing my pistol from concealment to being in full sun? Will my dot still be "spooling up" by the time I am on target? Generally I like a dot I can run at "daylight bright" all day and cover my bases.

* The sights look more or less like variants of the Chinese made SwampFox optics. Does anyone know where these are being sourced from? And please no "packaged in US" weasel speak. Just want to know if its a Chinese made optic.

Generally I run a DPP for my competition guns and either Holosun 507K, 508T or Trijicon on my carry guns. It would be great to have a new entry into the actual duty grade red dot field. Thanks in advance if anyone has answers to my questions!
Good questions.

I have another one coming on my new Hellcat RDP, I'll see how that compares and post, but yes I'm very disapointed as well so far. Very washed out hard to see dot, also, the not able to turn up or off ever is a game ender for me to train with my backup irons. BTW I have eagle eyes, no glasses 20/15 vision, Its the optic not me!
Mine should be here today. FedEx shows it’s out for delivery. I’ll post on how mine looks when I get it.

Just got mine and installed it!! Looks great, no problems with the dot at all. See it fine in a dark room and see it fine outside as well. It’s a little overcast, but the dot seems fine to me.

I can tell already, I’m going to have to do a lot of practicing bring it up in the right position to see the dot with both eyes open. It’s MUCH easier to do on my AR because I know exactly where to cheek weld to see the dot. With a pistol, there’s no reference point, it’s going to have to be all muscle memory.

Another point, this does not 100% clear the rear sight. I’d say probably 1/3 of the rear U-notch is blocked by the RDS. But you still get a decent idea of where the front sight is in relation to the rear notch.

So far I’m happy. Just going to be doing a lot of sitting in front of the TV bringing the gun up and perfecting acquiring the red dot quickly.

Just got mine and installed it!! Looks great, no problems with the dot at all. See it fine in a dark room and see it fine outside as well. It’s a little overcast, but the dot seems fine to me.

I can tell already, I’m going to have to do a lot of practicing bring it up in the right position to see the dot with both eyes open. It’s MUCH easier to do on my AR because I know exactly where to cheek weld to see the dot. With a pistol, there’s no reference point, it’s going to have to be all muscle memory.

Another point, this does not 100% clear the rear sight. I’d say probably 1/3 of the rear U-notch is blocked by the RDS. But you still get a decent idea of where the front sight is in relation to the rear notch.

So far I’m happy. Just going to be doing a lot of sitting in front of the TV bringing the gun up and perfecting acquiring the red dot quickly.
Let us know how you're liking it with more time, and hopefully you get to the range to zero it soon. I'm going to take your advise and put a new battery in mine and see if it was just a bad battery. otherwise, I may have gotten a dud, and will compare once the store ships me my new hellcat rdp I bought. I love the looks, and you are correct it doesn't cowitness as the pictures show, still see front sight but only about 1/3 of the front sight.

Let us know how you're liking it with more time, and hopefully you get to the range to zero it soon. I'm going to take your advise and put a new battery in mine and see if it was just a bad battery. otherwise, I may have gotten a dud, and will compare once the store ships me my new hellcat rdp I bought. I love the looks, and you are correct it doesn't cowitness as the pictures show, still see front sight but only about 1/3 of the front sight.
Yeah, could just be a bad one that got through and maybe the battery will work, worth a try anyway.

And the cowitness thing is the only thing that I’m a little disappointed about. You’d think SA would have designed it for 100% with the Hellcat. But I guess that’s asking a lot of technology to be squished into a very small place.

Overall, as of now, I’m pretty happy with it.

One other note, if I keep both eyes open and line up the front sight in the nook of the rear notch, the red dot shows up right in the center of the front sight. It should be pretty darned close to sighted in. Probably won’t get to the range until next week some time, but when I do, I’ll follow up on how it did.

Some pics please? Given the rmrc cut I am guessing it can be mounted on others without issues, or does it have a weird protrusion (like crimson trace dot on xds).

All's well that ends well :)

We kicked our departure back one day; FedEx did indeed show up; Hex Dragonfly is mounted and boresighted... being able to co-witness with the suppressor-height sights again is wonderful! Here's a few shots of it mounted on the XDM Elite Tactical OSP. Hopefully will get some "action" shots this week at the range :cool:

Springfield Hex Dragonfly.png

Springfield Hex Dragonfly 1.png

Springfield Hex Dragonfly 2.png

I don't understand the posts about it not co-witnessing 100% with the Hellcat's irons. Wasn't there another video a few day ago that showed exactly that?

RECEIVED MY WASP TODAY INSTALLED BATTERY AND NOTHING.. DOESN'T WORK OUT OF THE BOX. TRIED ANOTHER BATTERY SAME NOTHING!

RECEIVED MY WASP TODAY INSTALLED BATTERY AND NOTHING.. DOESN'T WORK OUT OF THE BOX. TRIED ANOTHER BATTERY SAME NOTHING!
when the battery is in, do you see the + showing? Also, I've had similar with small optics and realized I just didn't push it all the way in to make the connection, just make sure not to force it, specially if you have it backwards.

when the battery is in, do you see the + showing? Also, I've had similar with small optics and realized I just didn't push it all the way in to make the connection, just make sure not to force it, specially if you have it backwards.
On some battery configurations, DO NOT FORGET battery isolator.
Sometimes looks like a shipping isolator and is.
But, sometimes there is an isolator that needs to be in place to avoid outside contact as well when device is supposed to be operational with one installed. Sometimes on bottom of device to eliminate another surfaces contact.

Where are the contacts? On side or bottom is a clue. No battery cover, is likely side contact. Usually needs thin adhesive plastic isolator that looks like shipping isolator. Can be easily overlooked when are transparent. Can usually use adhesive non conductive electrical tape instead of isolator if lost or missing. Best bet is to re-read manual or look up online. Many times mfg. has online manual that's easier read or more indepth than printed manual. Hope not defective, but can happen with delicate electronics.

On some battery configurations, DO NOT FORGET battery isolator.
Sometimes looks like a shipping isolator and is.
But, sometimes there is an isolator that needs to be in place to avoid outside contact as well when device is supposed to be operational with one installed. Sometimes on bottom of device to eliminate another surfaces contact.

Where are the contacts? On side or bottom is a clue. No battery cover, is likely side contact. Usually needs thin adhesive plastic isolator that looks like shipping isolator. Can be easily overlooked when are transparent. Can usually use adhesive non conductive electrical tape instead of isolator if lost or missing. Best bet is to re-read manual or look up online. Many times mfg. has online manual that's easier read or more indepth than printed manual. Hope not defective, but can happen with delicate electronics.
installed correctly they are sending me out a new one.... springfileld is awesome to deal with great customer service!

Back