testtest

Hornady’s Handgun Hunter Ammo

I have long used Hornady's 240 grain 44 XTP projectile out of my Super Blackhawk with excellent results.
Sierra's 300 JSP (semi-jacketed lead flat-nosed) projectiles are just as accurate but give an added degree of penetration on the toughest of targets.
I have yet to be disappointed with ANY Hornady product.

I once read that Steve Hornady's son developed the first "polymer tipped" projectiles and they were simply the XTP projectile filled with RTV silicone caulking. The results were so impressive, the train was off and rolling.

I should add that when I purchased my first 44 Magnum, I began development with WW296. It soon became apparent the various combinations of projectile weights with the 296 shot better than I could.
I never tried any other powder.
Never felt the need to.

I have long used Hornady's 240 grain 44 XTP projectile out of my Super Blackhawk with excellent results.
Sierra's 300 JSP (semi-jacketed lead flat-nosed) projectiles are just as accurate but give an added degree of penetration on the toughest of targets.
I have yet to be disappointed with ANY Hornady product.

I once read that Steve Hornady's son developed the first "polymer tipped" projectiles and they were simply the XTP projectile filled with RTV silicone caulking. The results were so impressive, the train was off and rolling.

The Hornady 240's are exactly what I loaded for my Model 94 Winchester for the elk hunt back in the day. Never connected with an elkie, but sure willing to try again.

I fail to understand why Hornady included 9mm and .40SW in this line.
How many hunt with either of those calibers?
I've been anxiously awaiting some to show up in my area yet the only thing that shows up is .40S&W.
I asked a local gun store about it, their comment were that they too were surprised that of all calibers 40 shows up. Up until the great apocalyptic coronavirus 40 caliber handguns were not selling at all. They just sat and sat on the shelves so long that many shops refused to take any in on trade.

I've been anxiously awaiting some to show up in my area yet the only thing that shows up is .40S&W.
I asked a local gun store about it, their comment were that they too were surprised that of all calibers 40 shows up. Up until the great apocalyptic coronavirus 40 caliber handguns were not selling at all. They just sat and sat on the shelves so long that many shops refused to take any in on trade.
I would not be surprised to find that many who bought those 40 caliber handguns haven't found a lot of ammo to practice with.

I would not be surprised to find that many who bought those 40 caliber handguns haven't found a lot of ammo to practice with.
Normally would say yes, but a local Dunhams had at least 20 / 50 round boxes yesterday. They were fairly well stocked with exception of a few calibers like .45LC. Even had some 10mm in stock. Was surprised. So, guess never know?

I’ve taken deer with a 9mm; G34 w/extended LW barrel shooting a nuclear Barnes-X. Boiler room at 30 feet, clean kill.

Never used a .40, but wouldn’t be afraid to…might just have to take my USP Tactical out for a spin this fall…

I’ve taken deer with a 9mm; G34 w/extended LW barrel shooting a nuclear Barnes-X. Boiler room at 30 feet, clean kill.

Never used a .40, but wouldn’t be afraid to…might just have to take my USP Tactical out for a spin this fall…
In my state neither of those calibers are legal to hunt with.
.357 is the smallest legal caliber to handgun hunt.

In my state neither of those calibers are legal to hunt with.
.357 is the smallest legal caliber to handgun hunt.
MN is .22 centerfire or better…kinda considering trying out my .22TCM.

Technically, my .25 Colt Vest Pocket would be legal…but I have common sense.

In my state, big game can be taken with a pistol, but that pistol must generate 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle for deer and antelope. For the bigger stuff (elk, moose, etc) it must generate 500 foot-pounds at 100 yards and must be 40 cal or larger. So, even 24 caliber and higher for "smaller" big game, and 10mm or bigger for "bigger" big game. Make sense?

Last edited:
For deer hunting, Alabama seems to stipulate "muzzle loaders or black powder handguns 0.40 caliber or larger" and in another line "centerfire handguns with expanding rounds". So it sure looks like I could technically go deer hunting with my great grandfather's .38 if I had expanding rounds in it, or a 9mm. I don't shoot anything other than LRN or full wadcutters in the 1905 S&W though. Rifles are simply restricted to center fire ammo with expanding rounds.

Every deer I have harvested was with a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum using Federal Hydro-shok. Very effective combination. It is also a very effective squirrel round as I have no patience when the little tree rats start barking telling the woods where Im sitting. Always wanted to use my S&W 625 5inch with the Speer 200 grain flying ashtrays on top of 7.8 grains of Unique. Pretty sure this combo would be very effective too. Maybe I should wear it outside of my hunting coat next time or have it in my hand instead of the rifle.

Back