testtest

How dirty do you let your guns get?

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
So let's do a threefer thread. Show off some dirty guns. And how often do you clean your firearms? What do you use?

So for me I work on guns for a living, so I hate cleaning my own guns. I would rather buy a new one before cleaning a dirty old one. I know some people find it like a zen thing......I do not.

Now for oiling I use a two part solution of half and half Breakfree CLP and WD40. I have this concoction in several squirt bottles around the shop. For cleaning I like Simple green and a vibrator like that you use for cleaning brass for reloading. Cheap non toxic and does not hurt the cuts on my hands. Take caution with Aluminum a

Now as for this one I think it might be time to clean her. Anything for the Gram!
IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

After every use. Echoing the above - I want a clean, ready gun on my hip when I carry.

Good ol' Hoppe's No. 9 for me. Have a bore...sponge, I guess? It fits on the end of my cleaning rod - interchangeable tips, the sponge thing, a brush, and a patch holder. I'll moisten that sponge thing, run it down the bore to get the gunk loosened up. Then the brush. Then a couple cotton patches till they come out clean. Then use the bore sponge to dab all the metal surfaces, and the feed ramp. Toothbrush to clean the inside of the slide, and all the moving pieces, to get out all the pieces of carbon and powder. Cotton cloth to remove excess and wipe down. Then a small drop on each slide rail, and reassemble. Final wipe with the damp cloth, load 'er up, turn on the laser, and back in the holster.

Zen activity, and heavenly smell of Hoppe's ☺

Hoppe's got 3 decades of crap out of dad's old .38 years ago. That poor Colt sat, untouched, for over 30 years before I cleaned it. Took some time, but...in the end, it's darn near a showpiece, and dead-nuts accurate at the range. Not bad for a 69 year old weapon that's been through a war...!

As often as I clean my EDC...there's not a lot of work to do anyway. If I ever get a spot that won't come out, or some gunk that won't come off...I'd hit the local range/shop and ask some advice. But the Hoppe's gets what little grit is in my guns, out...and it coats well enough to keep corrosion at bay even when things sit for a while in the safe.

Which reminds me...I need to take a couple swipes at the .308 rifle. It's been in there a while, unused.

I did a stress-test of my first XDm 5.25 9mm Competition. I didn't clean it for 2 seasons of shooting at out IPSC club.

It kept going like an Energizer bunny. I know guys with $4K guns that "have" to clean & relube theirs or they freeze up.

That level of sensitivity doesn't work for me in a self-defense situation.

I don't have any dirty guns. This thread is timely though. Today I was carrying in an AC undercover conceal shirt ( under the support side arm) and I had the strap that secures my .40 undone and tucked into the spare mag part. I do this very often and haven't had an issue. Today I was bent over a cast iron gas main with a scaler ( it's basically a strap with handles on each end and a series of metal cleats in the middle, which you pull back and forth to clean scale off the main) and I was scaling vigorously ( Main hasn't been touched since 1872 so it was pretty bad) and my pistol ejected itself straight into the mud. I cleaned it all off pretty easily with some paper towels, but my OCD kept my mind on it the rest of the day and the first thing I did when I got home was break it down and clean it.

I clean them every time I am done shooting them and probably once a month I take them all out and wipe them down and lube as necessary.

I will run a sprayed bore snake (1 Step or CLP) thru the pistols at the range. After 3-5 trips I will take apart for a better cleaning. The exception is the gun I'm carrying at the moment. Right now I'm going from the XDe 3.8 and Walther PPS M2 so when I shoot them at the range I will clean them when I get home. I will take my long time safe guns out and wipe them down a few times a year.

I too would like to know the story with the gun in the OP... I get in moods, there are times I enjoy cleaning then times I can’t stand it. I like my firearms clean, it gives me an opportunity to inspect them. My carry guns/rifles, once cleaned I will step out and put a couple rounds through them just for function or piece of mind, whichever. I have been using Mpro-7 and or FP-10.

Back