testtest

How Many Magazines Are Too Many?

As you say, itā€™s their money. I just canā€™t conceive why but if that makes ā€˜em feel warm and fuzzy so be it. The only time Iā€™ve damaged mags was when I was shooting competition and dropping them. Occasionally youā€™d see feed lips get buggered.
Well we have went over all the reasons at least twice in this very thread. Magazines wear out. Magazines magically become illegal. Most people here train. I don't know about you but nearly all my training involves practicing reloads. It's not like I gently remove the mag and stick it in my pocket. Most of the time I hit the paddle and sling the mag to the ground then continue with the drill without paying any attention to where that mag landed.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. lol

Why do you have more than one gun. You should sell all your guns except one and buy ammo and training classes with the proceeds and learn how to shoot the one you have. :rolleyes:

After the Great AR Magazine Scarcity of 2009-2014ā€¦when mag prices dropped, I bought a lifetime supply; a case of 100 PMags, and about the same amount of various supplier USGI aluminum mags w/upgraded followers.

Never personally used any of them, yet.

I did sell a few in 2020-2021, when (surprise!) they became scarce again due to demand; mainly to friends who got caught short.

After the Great AR Magazine Scarcity of 2009-2014ā€¦when mag prices dropped, I bought a lifetime supply; a case of 100 PMags, and about the same amount of various supplier USGI aluminum mags w/upgraded followers.

Never personally used any of them, yet.

I did sell a few in 2020-2021, when (surprise!) they became scarce again due to demand; mainly to friends who got caught short.
I would say about 98% of the ones I have are still in the plastic bags they came in.

You know, the logic used for that argument is the same as the logic for people who buy way more ammo than they use too. And yet 2020 comes along and all kinds of people got caught with their pants down and were fighting each other over $1200 cases of 5.56.

I would say about 98% of the ones I have are still in the plastic bags they came in.

You know, the logic used for that argument is the same as the logic for people who buy way more ammo than they use too. And yet 2020 comes along and all kinds of people got caught with their pants down and were fighting each other over $1200 cases of 5.56.
And whining they were being ā€œgougedā€ because of their lack of foresight.

And whining they were being ā€œgougedā€ because of their lack of foresight.
I talk about this a lot but I learned my lesson during the Obama years. Once the supply issues eased up my wife and I created an ammo budget. We put so much aside every paycheck and when we found a good sale we bought as much as we could reasonably afford. We continue that practice.

I remember all the people damning the hoarders during the Obama years and most of the people that were bitching the loudest made no attempt to lay in any kind of supply once it was over.

There have been two ammo shortages that I recall since Obama and it seems like the same people continue to refuse to stock up and continue to damn the hoarders.

OIP (4).jpg
ļæ¼ What are these magazine things you're talking about? ;) One is too few. Other than that, the more the merrier.

I wondered the same question. My wife and son bought me several Wilson Combat mags for Christmas one year plus what I had bought, giving me 10 WC mags for my .45 RO (some 7s and some 8s). Thatā€™s more than enough for me I think, because if I canā€™t stop the threat in my home with 70+ .45 ACP rounds, then itā€™s been nice knowing you folks, Iā€™m taking up knitting and yoga.

I wondered the same question. My wife and son bought me several Wilson Combat mags for Christmas one year plus what I had bought, giving me 10 WC mags for my .45 RO (some 7s and some 8s). Thatā€™s more than enough for me I think, because if I canā€™t stop the threat in my home with 70+ .45 ACP rounds, then itā€™s been nice knowing you folks, Iā€™m taking up knitting and yoga.
Again, it's not about needing 10 mags all at the same time. Or in the same place.

Again, it's not about needing 10 mags all at the same time. Or in the same place.

Backpacks full O' Pmags still in the plastic. If the wife finds another one I might get the divorce papers. One can only dream. :p

On a serious note though, I use about 10-15 for training/bullshit plinking and i've got a bunch loaded for shtf.
some extra stashed in a "go bag" etc. Can never have enough, i've got to be in the 100-150 ish range now, which I think might be enough. Until they go on sale again.

I remember reading an article several years ago by Tamara Keel in which she stated that she literally buys 30 round AR-15 magazines by the case. She claimed to have hundreds of magazines still in their original packaging and she was buying more.

And I want to clarify that she claimed to have well over a thousand AR magazines. The hundreds were just hundreds that were still in their original wrappers.

To be clear, if that's what she wants to spend for money on it's her money to spend as she pleases. Even if that means hoarding magazines that she literally will never use.

All right, on the other hand, don't have that much money. I can't afford that many magazines. I think I have right around 50 magazines for my Glocks.

I think that's enough to last the rest of my life and I think if I bought any more than that I'd be wasting money that could be better used elsewhere.

I remember this discussion coming up on Glock Talk several years ago and people were literally showing duffel bags full of hundreds of Glock magazines. Again, it's their money to spend as they wish. Some of them were competitive shooters who might have actually used all those magazines in competition. It's just more magazines than I would buy and it's certainly more magazines than I could talk my wife into letting me buy.

So my question is where's your limit? I'm not even looking for a specific number. I'm just wondering at what point do you decide that you're wasting money on magazines?
My combat load in Nam,300rds. Of course it depends on where you are. My buddy in II CORPS carried everything on his back

Back