testtest

How often to the range and how many rounds?

I am a semi-retired Hospice Nurse, so I have a lot of Saturday’s. I am also fortunate enough to live on 60 acres and have built a small range. I used scrap wood, empty jars (not glass), and about anything else I could use for targets. I am sorta like John Denver’s Thank God I’m a Country Boy, because I shoot when I can and work when I should, which translates to 1-2 times per week at about 200 rounds per visit. Life is Good.
As far as varied targets to shoot, we (and I'm sure others have) will occasionally save 1 gallon milk jugs, then fill with water and freeze them. They make good targets, can take quite a few hits (depending on what they're being hit with), and they won't blow over if a breeze kicks up. When done just toss the jug(s) in the trash can.

Outdoor our group averages about 3 times a month weather and schedule permitting shooting steel mostly with the pistols and the lever action rifles. Rifle range will usually be worked into 1 of the trips for friendly contest shooting on the 200yrd range. When I only go to the rifle range I warm up with around 150rnds 22LR then will shoot 15-20 rnds of the 2 calibers I brought. My wife and I go 2-3 times a month for pistol (paper silhouettes mostly) working on her mechanics and I work on my draw. Every few months I will go to the indoor range and work on stabilization and trigger control about 50-75 rounds. I would guess a total of 600rnds of 9mm, 350rnds of .45, 150rnds of .380, and 40-60 assorted rifle rounds I don't count my 22LR in the total. I will continue to practice until I hit the same place on the steel and shoot the through the same hole on paper.

Please understand that I am fully retired. Everyday is like Saturday for me. That said I try to hit the range each weekday morning and if one is available take a family member with me. Usually burn through 2-400 rounds per visit. Depends on what I'm taking. I have cals from .17 to .454 and I am a bit of a hand cannon lover. Afternoons, evenings and weekends are spent caring for the wife and reloading. I find reloading is relaxing and it's very interesting trying different loads. There is one person that is quite unhappy with my large amounts of shooting and reloading. No, not the wife. She enjoys me gone for a while each day. It's the poor mailman that has to put those 70# shipments of bullets at my doorstep.
I have some of those and the usps doesn't get used to it, especially the females. The countless bullets rolling freely in the box.

1-2 times per week between April and mid-Oct. Outside of that it's hunting season or the winter weather makes it problematic.

I am usually at the range once a month but mostly as an RSO and instructor. I rarely get to shoot during that time, may be a magazine or to test fire a firearm that malfunctioned. I do pick up my SIRT pistol a could of times a week.

I don't get to the range as often as I would like. I too am totally retired now but been tied up for last year caring for an aging parent. Then I broke my leg and have only had cast off for a few weeks. I hope to make it to the range a couple times a month this coming year. Also hope to get back into long range competition. I have a custom Remington 700 in 308 Winchester the son built that will put three rounds in a 3" circle at 500 meters if I do my part. :)

Funny, I googled the same question and this particular thread returned. 200-400 rounds twice a week as some said, and a few even way more than that, wow! This thread began two months before the great viral pool party changed the way we interact on earth, when of course ammo then skyrocketed in price and even worse, got really scarce... interesting. Not really saying anything important here, it's just pretty interesting to read back during the time right before it all hit. I probably owe y'all an apology because I was one of the 2020 new gun owners that did exacerbate the gun and ammo shortage. OK, it's sorry/not sorry because I was able to grab, after 4 months of waiting, this baby as my first and now it's discontinued, so that's the not sorry part, lol. Even that's probably skewed thinking because you usually cherish your first handgun I would imagine. But one thing that was a huge added blessing was this forum... it had only spun up a few months before I found it, yet it was already a huge knowledge base of people with experience and passion for the right to bear arms with, of course, the emphasis on SA firearms.

That's all. We can turn off the triumphant sound track now, I'm done babbling... back to work! ;)

Well, round count has definitely went down since this thread was started. Still I go once a week at least and usually have a class once a month. My ammo bill is about $500/month lately.
That's a hefty ammo bill.

I try to go once a week and typically shoot 200-500 rounds of various calibers depending who im with and what range we go to.

That is about to get cut back drastically since our Tax Appraisals came back and my taxable value on the house jumped 60%.

Hi,

I guess this is actually a necro-thread with historical significance. Yes, interesting that this thread started just a couple months before all the big lockdowns. Now that everything is starting to open up again, why not revive it? ;)

I guess you could say that I'm a fairly new gun owner, less than two years. The last time there were firearms in the house was in the last century. :D

When our training started in August of 2020 we would go once or twice a month, once for a training session then once for a practice session. We would shoot 100-200 rounds between us, per session. It was tough scraping up ammo during those times.

For the last few months I've been getting to the range once or twice a week. I'm still taking training twice a month. The rest of time time I go with friends or by myself to practice. It's rare that I'll shoot more than 100 rounds per training or practice session. The exception being the last time my daughter and I went for some practice. We shot about 300 rounds of 9mm and 300 rounds of .22. We had a blast. ;)

I'm hoping to continue at least once a week. That would keep my monthly ammo bill between $200-$300. I don't think Mrs. BassCliff will complain about that. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back