testtest

How often to the range and how many rounds?

I’m just curious how often the folks here go to the range and when you go, how many rounds do you go through?

Every weekend under normal circumstances, but sometimes during the week if time permits. On the weekend my wife and I will shoot between 650-750 rounds. We have two ranges we frequent. One for target practice and one for tactical training and simulations (carjackings, home invasions, etc.)

Monthly during the winter months, but two to four times during the other months. 50-100 rounds per session, practicing on stance, grip, trigger control, and recoil management.

Probably once a month or so. Usually 50-100 rounds depending on timing and the like. I also try to work on some dry fire techniques the rest of the time. Once it gets nicer out, looking to bump up to every week or two.

I went once or twice a month before my cataract surgery back in August, and would send 200-300 rounds down range in a typical visit. I've done nothing other than dry-fire practice since the surgery and some complications that came after it (vitreous detachment). I've been ready to go to the range since early December, and my work schedule (travel, deadlines) has had me too busy to get to the range on a week day, and I don't bother going to the indoor ranges around here on a Saturday, as they are overwhelmed then.

I need to go with some of my buddies to USPSA matches and just get my shooting fix that way a couple of times a month.

I went to pay our range membership renewal fee this morning, and took the gear with me, even though it's been raining off & on all morning. After leaving the place where we pay, I stopped by the range, which is about 3 miles away, and decided just to shoot the XD Mod2 9mm. Left the Saint Edge in the truck. Pouring down rain, so I didn't set up any paper targets, and opted for the 8" swinging steel targets, which are roughly at 65yds distance. I had 74 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ left in the box in my range bag, and recall hearing at least 5 distinct, intermittent hits out of those 74 rounds, lol. The rounds made the steel move, so I'm happy. Also hit the 1,000 round milestone for the XD Mod2, and can happily state there has not been one FTF, FTE , or any malfunctions whatsoever.
20200110_135837.jpg

I went to pay our range membership renewal fee this morning, and took the gear with me, even though it's been raining off & on all morning. After leaving the place where we pay, I stopped by the range, which is about 3 miles away, and decided just to shoot the XD Mod2 9mm. Left the Saint Edge in the truck. Pouring down rain, so I didn't set up any paper targets, and opted for the 8" swinging steel targets, which are roughly at 65yds distance. I had 74 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ left in the box in my range bag, and recall hearing at least 5 distinct, intermittent hits out of those 74 rounds, lol. The rounds made the steel move, so I'm happy. Also hit the 1,000 round milestone for the XD Mod2, and can happily state there has not been one FTF, FTE , or any malfunctions whatsoever.
View attachment 222
That is awesome!!! People that don't shoot are missing the fun and challenge that shooting provides.

View attachment 222
Got to love that Maglula. I bought one after my first trip to the range with a new Ruger American Pistol. The springs were so tight that I couldn't get the last round in. Been using one ever since.

Got to love that Maglula. I bought one after my first trip to the range with a new Ruger American Pistol. The springs were so tight that I couldn't get the last round in. Been using one ever since.

Yeah - all 10 of my XD-M magazines are so tight that when they were new I could not get the last 4-5 rounds in without a mag loader. I loaded them all up and let them sit for a couple of months with ammo loaded, and that helps some. Now I can get all but the last 1-2 rounds in using just my thumbs, haha. My solution is just to keep one of the XD-M 9/40 mag loaders in my range bag... heck, I've used a mag loader to save my thumbs even with my trusty old Ruger Mark II for decades.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it's a definite thumb saver, and I keep it in my range bag also. When my 13 yr old grandson goes to the range with me he loves loading the pistol mags using the Maglula.

I am a semi-retired Hospice Nurse, so I have a lot of Saturday’s. I am also fortunate enough to live on 60 acres and have built a small range. I used scrap wood, empty jars (not glass), and about anything else I could use for targets. I am sorta like John Denver’s Thank God I’m a Country Boy, because I shoot when I can and work when I should, which translates to 1-2 times per week at about 200 rounds per visit. Life is Good.

It has been longer than it needs to be since I have been to the range. I grew up (way) out in the country, and we could go out in our side yards and shoot to our hearts content. I don't have that luxury anymore,
Where we live now have the same problem. So nice to step out on the porch and have target practice.
Now it's a 7 mile drive.

Yeah - all 10 of my XD-M magazines are so tight that when they were new I could not get the last 4-5 rounds in without a mag loader. I loaded them all up and let them sit for a couple of months with ammo loaded, and that helps some. Now I can get all but the last 1-2 rounds in using just my thumbs, haha. My solution is just to keep one of the XD-M 9/40 mag loaders in my range bag... heck, I've used a mag loader to save my thumbs even with my trusty old Ruger Mark II for decades.
People see mine at the range and start with the questions. So just like when I taught college I have handouts that
steer folks to where they can buy them. Carry them at my range but they sell out fast.

Back