testtest

How to Choose Your First Semi-Auto Handgun

Does the SK have the interchangeable back strap/panels ?

I keep flip flopping back and forth over whether or not I want to put the short reset in it. At this point really I can't justify it because it shoots very well. That's the same reason I have never put an Apex kit in my Shield .45. It seem like it would be nicer than that stupid ass hinged trigger, but it's hard to argue with the groups I pull out of it.

Who knows though, maybe it would be even better.
It does have the panels.

I don’t think the DA/SA needs the short reset kit. The trigger is pretty nice.

Two ways to start a hobby,

Get the cheapest most basic item you can, learn what you want or like, then go an invest it an actual good item that best fits your needs and you'll enjoy for the duration....

-OR-

Do lots of research, talk to lots of folks and find out what you think you'll like best and buy it...

I started with a cheap Ruger 22/45 .22lr MkIII, the fact it was designed to help train for the 1911 was a bonus in my view..

I also disagree with the advice that everyone should start with .22lr as their first pistol... ...if you're going to go the route of something cheap and basic to start off with, yes, a .22lr pistol would be perfect.... ...but you know you want a certain 9mm or .45 ACP pistol, I believe you can start out just fine with that kind of pistol, there will just be a longer initial learning period cause it will be a little more challenging....

I know I'm not the only one, that the first time I ever shot a pistol was after I joined the military, and it was a full sized 1911 .45 ACP. Other the M9 in 9mm. Sure, the first couple of sessions I was all over the place, but with a little coaching, it wasn't but the third session I was shooting just fine....
When my wife and I decided to get into shooting, I did a fair amount of research before settling on the Ruger 9E. It was a hair over $300, came from a reputable company, had generally good reviews, and was a great starter for us. In fact, my wife still shoots the 9E better than any other pistol we've bought in the intervening years and it's chugging along just fine. Took me forever to find night sights that would fit it, but other than that, it's stock.

We've spent a lot of money on pistols since 2017, and learned some good lessons - one of the top ones is: try before you buy. This isn't always possible, but get as close as you can. Lesson 2: micro compacts aren't great shooters. We've had (or shot) S&W Shield 2.0, Sig P365, and Springfield Hellcat. I could hit the target with all of them, but the experience was on par with trying to bathe a cat. True, a micro 9 will never be as comfortable to shoot as a full-size or even compact pistol, but I'm a believer in practice and if I'm not able to shoot a couple hundred rounds through my carry gun without wincing, I'm probably not going to keep it.

Folks are going to disagree with me, but that's my take. Had a training session this week and used my Springfield XD Mod.2 during half of it. Worked great, shot it well, was never uncomfortable. That's why it's my EDC - I know I can draw and shoot it well, with no issues on follow up shots, it's got decent capacity with the flush magazine (13+1) and it's easy to carry.

As always, others' mileage may vary.

When my wife and I decided to get into shooting, I did a fair amount of research before settling on the Ruger 9E. It was a hair over $300, came from a reputable company, had generally good reviews, and was a great starter for us. In fact, my wife still shoots the 9E better than any other pistol we've bought in the intervening years and it's chugging along just fine. Took me forever to find night sights that would fit it, but other than that, it's stock.

We've spent a lot of money on pistols since 2017, and learned some good lessons - one of the top ones is: try before you buy. This isn't always possible, but get as close as you can. Lesson 2: micro compacts aren't great shooters. We've had (or shot) S&W Shield 2.0, Sig P365, and Springfield Hellcat. I could hit the target with all of them, but the experience was on par with trying to bathe a cat. True, a micro 9 will never be as comfortable to shoot as a full-size or even compact pistol, but I'm a believer in practice and if I'm not able to shoot a couple hundred rounds through my carry gun without wincing, I'm probably not going to keep it.

Folks are going to disagree with me, but that's my take. Had a training session this week and used my Springfield XD Mod.2 during half of it. Worked great, shot it well, was never uncomfortable. That's why it's my EDC - I know I can draw and shoot it well, with no issues on follow up shots, it's got decent capacity with the flush magazine (13+1) and it's easy to carry.

As always, others' mileage may vary.

I agree for the most part. Although I shoot the Shield .45 as well as any of my full size pistols inside 25 yards.

I do look forward to cool weather though so I can carry full sized guns.

I have bought a lot of handguns without shooting them first and a few without ever even seeing or handling them first, although I always do my due diligence researching them. I bought my main cool weather carry gun without ever having seen one in person, but it's a P30L which is pretty similar to the VP9 which I already had. I bought a Walther Q5 Match without ever seeing one in person. And more shotguns than I can count.

I agree for the most part. Although I shoot the Shield .45 as well as any of my full size pistols inside 25 yards.

I have bought a lot of handguns without shooting them first and a few without ever even seeing or handling them first, although I always do my due diligence researching them. I bought my main cool weather carry gun without ever having seen one in person, but it's a P30L which is pretty similar to the VP9 which I already had. I bought a Walther Q5 Match without ever seeing one in person. And more shotguns than I can count.
What I've noticed lately is that all the top micro 9 companies are now making bigger versions of those platforms... Shield, Hellcat, P365... all of them are coming in "large" or "XL" sizes now... which really just makes them subcompacts :D I guess that's a product migration strategy. Although we're looking at the P365 XL Spectre comp for my wife - so I guess there's something to their plans lol.

When I bought my Q5 Match SF I saw it in the case and thought it was one of the most gorgeous guns I’d ever seen. I figured a gun that good looking had to be a great shooter. Fortunately, I was right.

Back