testtest

I done did it.....

I know that this flies in the face of other admonitions in the manual regarding reloads, BUT if you do reload one could easily deconstruct that soft point ammo and pop in a FMJ in its place.

OTOH can anyone expound on the consequences of shooting soft points through their M1A? At least one previous poster claims no ill effects but what about the other way?
Some info may be a generalized disclaimer of sorts? It also may depend on and likely does depend on lead consistency or composition of the lead itself of how soft or hard or if the lead is coated with something else like a polymer or lacquer. There's lead variations too. Also like some "Cowboy loads" verses conventional loads, where the lead bullets are sometimes hard or soft, dark or light colored. Generally, the darker lead is harder than softer lead that have seen.

I agree with the general disclaimer observation. They have to discourage the less informed from wandering off the farm so to speak. I'll confess that I have some 150 Gr Federal Non Typical Whitetail (soft point) ammo that has a metal jacket all the way to the tip with only the lead core visible when viewed from the nose. I may shoot a few just to see how they perform. If there is anything weird, as I mentioned earlier, I'll take them down and replace with FMJ.

Usually 308win chambers won't chamber m118 ammo? Must be throated longer in your guns?
If it works, why not!
I agree with the general disclaimer observation. They have to discourage the less informed from wandering off the farm so to speak. I'll confess that I have some 150 Gr Federal Non Typical Whitetail (soft point) ammo that has a metal jacket all the way to the tip with only the lead core visible when viewed from the nose. I may shoot a few just to see how they perform. If there is anything weird, as I mentioned earlier, I'll take them down and replace with FMJ.
I have shot that same ammo thru the M1A at hogs with no ill effect. As well as the similar Win and Rem ammo.
Thus my surprise with the Manual of Arms saying no soft point

This article will answer most of your questions grasshopper!

Sums it up
Thanks 👍👍👍

This article will answer most of your questions grasshopper!

This is the exact article that sent me down the rabbit hole and also led me to post here for further input. lol.

1632195370759.jpeg

I suspect that there are vendors out there selling stuff that's on backorder. It may be weeks before their shipment arrives. I had a pair of kaki from LL Bean and waited for almost 3 months before they shipped them. At least they didn't charge my credit card until they shipped them.

I suspect that there are vendors out there selling stuff that's on backorder. It may be weeks before their shipment arrives. I had a pair of kaki from LL Bean and waited for almost 3 months before they shipped them. At least they didn't charge my credit card until they shipped them.
Have had a few things on backorder. I don't do it anymore. After several months of something being on backorder with no hope of item being back in stock per the company, cancelled the order with them. Month or more went by and they shipped item w/o saying so or contacting me about order being in or shipped as they had agreed to do. Order doesn't show in their system, but was still charged for it. In the meantime after cancelling, found something else so instead of going through their hoopla of returns with that company and the ordeal, just gave backordered item away. Not doing any more backorders and likely not dealing with that company anytime soon until things calm back down.

Back