testtest

I done did it.....

Well, let us know when/how you make out ..... in the meantime, you should get some type of leather protectant on that new sling before it gets stained. There are several on the market, even some oils (neatsfoot oil, mink oil, vit 'E', and in a pinch, a very carefully applied and buffed dose of baby oil or Vaseline can be good for new leather), but be wary of those oils not so good for leather. Fat based oils are generally considered better than vegetable or petroleum based oils.

But a good leather protectant and then maybe a good coat of saddle soap or even some Kiwi shoe wax. Whatever you chose to use, do it carefully, sparingly, and completely. (y)(y)(y)

Well, let us know when/how you make out ..... in the meantime, you should get some type of leather protectant on that new sling before it gets stained. There are several on the market, even some oils (neatsfoot oil, mink oil, vit 'E', and in a pinch, a very carefully applied and buffed dose of baby oil or Vaseline can be good for new leather), but be wary of those oils not so good for leather. Fat based oils are generally considered better than vegetable or petroleum based oils.

But a good leather protectant and then maybe a good coat of saddle soap or even some Kiwi shoe wax. Whatever you chose to use, do it carefully, sparingly, and completely. (y)(y)(y)

Appreciate that info. Was wondering if I should be conditioning that leather.

You might look into leather dye I would think you would want it a little darker just my two cents
Dye, for darkness? Raw leather?
Tan, like that strap, usually becomes much darker depending on oil type and amount used or how saturated leather becomes. Most oils or leather treatments of any sort will usually darken leather quite a bit.

Want, need an idea of how much darker? Get raw leather wet with water 1st? - It darkens considerably.
( Be sure to let leather dry before any treatment though because leather can mildew or rot if not dried thoroughly.)

You aren't wrong. It's much lighter than I would like. I've read that most conditioners or oils/wax will make it darker.
Some other simple leather tips while leather's raw?
If wanting to make leather strap look more finished, look up leather burnishing or moulding. Basically, while leather's damp from water and before sealing, leather can be moulded or burnished to soften, shape, form or smooth rough edges using very simple tools like a smooth wood dowel for example. A little bit of time and effort using *simple tools can make huge differences on leather while damp. *Simple shaping tools can be many household items like pens or pencils, handles from other tools like screwdrivers, most anything clean and smooth.

Side notes: To blacken leather for effect, use smooth aluminum rod trick. Aluminum causes leather to darken to black on raw leather. May look nice on edges or features to accent features like edges or adjustment holes? But, care should be used using aluminum tools because it's almost permanent. Simple wood, (hard wood's usually better.) some metals and some plastic tools can work out to some amazing effects. Is also a good time to mark names, initials or add features while leather's damp and before sealing too. Take your time in doing. Whatever you choose to do or use on finishing, hope your leather project turns out great.

So after the first sling was stolen I finally received the replacement today.
50C2CC85-443C-4BA6-BE57-CA2806B62FAE.jpeg

Not as heavy duty as I expected but solid leather, the color not what I would put on a walnut stock rifle so off to the hobby store for leather dye.
1A8BD146-2AAD-49CA-B562-8C3041D5AA3F.jpeg

Now this will compliment the gun and give it more of a military look.
Now I have a question, is there a “proper” way to install this onto the rifle? The post by @ddeuce22 shows one way and I’m not saying it’s not right but is there a specific way “military” way of installing the sling.

View attachment 21260
Not as heavy duty as I expected but solid leather, the color not what I would put on a walnut stock rifle so off to the hobby store for leather dye.
View attachment 21261
Now I have a question, is there a “proper” way to install this onto the rifle? The post by @ddeuce22 shows one way and I’m not saying it’s not right but is there a specific way “military” way of installing the sling.

Your sling is looking good!

This PDF article may be of some help?

View attachment 21260
View attachment 21261

That looks so much better. What did you use?

View attachment 21260
View attachment 21261
I like the way it came out kinda distressed looking very nice 👍

Back