testtest

Is 5.56 dying?

Dying? No! I think it's popularity finally stating to level off as happens when new calibers are introduced. Similar to what happened to calibers like the 30-06, 308 etc. It's just the cycle of things in the gun world.

Dying? No! I think it's popularity finally stating to level off as happens when new calibers are introduced. Similar to what happened to calibers like the 30-06, 308 etc. It's just the cycle of things in the gun world.
That's a good view on the subject.🤔

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if the 5.56 round will be just as popular as it is now in 10 year's.

With the military potentially moving to a 6.8 round...

Yes, because it's so prevalent. But the 5.56 round may be the last service rifle round that the public will be able to use depending on the results of the current rifle/LMG replacement program.

Only the Sig .277 (Sigs interpretation of the new 6.8 round) would be available IMO.

Yes, because it's so prevalent. But the 5.56 round may be the last service rifle round that the public will be able to use depending on the results of the current rifle/LMG replacement program.

Only the Sig .277 (Sigs interpretation of the new 6.8 round) would be available IMO.
The government is toying with plastic cartridges now.

@80k of pressure no thanks! By by short lived barrels!

The government is toying with plastic cartridges now.

Yes, two of the other competitors are offering polymer-cased or enclosed rounds using the same 6.8 bullet developed by the US Army. I don't see either of these being commonly available.

But on your other point I don't see the public out growing the 5.56 based on it's AR useage. Unless if the AR is banned.

Since there are a multitude of 5.56 rifles currently in consumers hands and in production, it would be a generation or two before the 5.56 is obsolete. Not only for reasons that there are major key ammunition manufacturers that would have to get new equipment for the manufacturing process and that would cost them millions. I do not see that happening until the 5.56 rifle has been out of production for at least a decade. Plus, being the civilian market has a high demand for the ammunition. Maybe not as noticeable at this current time due to the current support of the POTUS. However... It's just an election away and things could shift dramatically. Then you would see the demand back in full swing. In short, I do not see the 5.56 going anywhere in our lifetime.

I dont see it going anywhere. The military just did another contract with Olin fir several million worth of munitions. Sig has a deal going for the Army with a new 6.8 cartridge, but that doesn’t mean it will replace the 5.56. Replacing a solid military round based on its performance in one type of battlefield is not necessarily a good move and the government knows this.
They’re trying to imitate 30 cal performance but have to accept the added bore erosion that you get with 6.5 creedmoor. Its a barrel burner. Taking 308 power and forcing it through a smaller hole erodes the throat and leade rapidly compared to other better balanced cartridges.

Back