testtest

Is an Empty Chamber Dangerous?

Many people assume that any dangerous condition they may face will develop in a way that they will see it coming, be able to ready themselves, have time to formulate a plan, ponder the pro's and cons and casually take decisive action. Unfortunately, the first indication that a problem exists is often when the pavement suddenly comes up and smacks them.

I wont tell someone else how to carry their weapon but if its not ready to go, its just a paper weight. If a person is experiencing some level of trepidation in regards to carrying a round in the chamber, I am not suggesting that they ignore their gut. Each person must decide what is best for them.

I have carried cocked and locked for decades, I have never done any handwringing about it.

Due to the nature and location of where I work, situational awareness is extremely high for me. It is almost certain I would see and identify a threat before it was critical. I still wear a level IIIA vest and carry in condition 0.

Oh Hell, I had terrible angst over buying a auto-pistol with a safety, much less if there is a round in the chamber. All my "loaded" handguns are ready to rock, even the compact with the safety (first striker-fired) if not in my pocket. Decades of LE made it that the way period with the only exception of long guns and that based on train as you fight being burned in. They are what was referred to as "Cruiser Ready" with mag full, hammer down and safety off. Despite all the advice to the opposite a bad-guy's pupils do dilate when the action is cycled...

Many people assume that any dangerous condition they may face will develop in a way that they will see it coming, be able to ready themselves, have time to formulate a plan, ponder the pro's and cons and casually take decisive action. Unfortunately, the first indication that a problem exists is often when the pavement suddenly comes up and smacks them.

I wont tell someone else how to carry their weapon but if its not ready to go, its just a paper weight. If a person is experiencing some level of trepidation in regards to carrying a round in the chamber, I am not suggesting that they ignore their gut. Each person must decide what is best for them.

I have carried cocked and locked for decades, I have never done any handwringing about it.
Sort of like: "prepare for the worse and hope for the best"❗

1706464995629.png

Empty chamber yet againo_O. Tell you what. You do you and I'll do me. For the record I carry with a round in the chamber..............all five of them;)

Wow, this thread went from the last post a long time ago (Mar 2021) to just a day ago (Sunday 28, 2024), but is perfect timing for a question I have.

Talking with a good friend a couple weeks ago, we got around to his relatively new Hellcat. It being his first striker fired handgun, he is very hesitant to carry with a round in the chamber ... and especially with no manual safety. Like most here I cannot tell him what's right for him, but I also know that like the seat belts mentioned above, there may not be time to rack one in when/if needed.

So, for something more than my opinion alone to offer him, what say all you Hellcat carriers? I'd really appreciate a collection of experienced carriers to chime in here with your opinion that I can offer him. I'm not looking for a lot of 'reasons why' you do what you do, or why he should do what we think he should do, just tell him how you carry it. One in the chamber or not. If he decides he'd like to hear the many reasons why/why not, we'll carry on. I'm not trying to make a convert out of him, just trying to offer him some insight into the norm. Thanks, jj

Can't speak to the hellcat. This is my advice to anyone questioning the safety of a striker fired whatever, or anything else for that matter. Carry with an empty chamber just like you would carry with it loaded. At the end of each day, check to see if it would have discharged. At the end of the week rethink your opinion NOT your emotions. Do it again if necessary. After the 3rd week someone is still concerned................
skip the B.S. and get a J frame, which is what you should have done in the 1st place ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most NDs are going to happen as a result of poor holstering technique. Never be in a rush to holster, and always completely 'clear' the holster before inserting.

And particularly with a striker pistol, I insist on a good quality, rigid kydex holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

The Hellcat has the blade in trigger safety. I have carried my Keltec PF9 many years with one in the chamber . It has NO safety of any kind and has never gone off unless I pulled the trigger.

I have a Ruger LCP II with the safety blade in the trigger. I carry it in my front pants pocket with a round in the chamber.

Most NDs are going to happen as a result of poor holstering technique. Never be in a rush to holster, and always completely 'clear' the holster before inserting.

And particularly with a striker pistol, I insist on a good quality, rigid kydex holster that completely covers the trigger guard.
This. I frequently go places where I’ll need to leave the weapon in the pistol vault in my Jeep, then take it back out and reholstering. For ME a striker gun is a non starter (plus I can just shoot an SA hammer gun better😊). YMMV. If you do choose to carry a striker gun W/O a manual safety, you’d best be darn careful when you’re reholstering. If you stick one in a rigid holster that completely covers the trigger-and LEAVE it there all day until you take the holster with weapon off at the end of the day, you’ll be fine. Darn near every cop shop in the countr does it. Remember though that most patrolmen carry owb in a security holster AND seldom have to remove and reholster in the field. A person needs to use the brain you’ve been given when considering what and how.

This. I frequently go places where I’ll need to leave the weapon in the pistol vault in my Jeep, then take it back out and reholstering. For ME a striker gun is a non starter (plus I can just shoot an SA hammer gun better😊). YMMV. If you do choose to carry a striker gun W/O a manual safety, you’d best be darn careful when you’re reholstering. If you stick one in a rigid holster that completely covers the trigger-and LEAVE it there all day until you take the holster with weapon off at the end of the day, you’ll be fine. Darn near every cop shop in the countr does it. Remember though that most patrolmen carry owb in a security holster AND seldom have to remove and reholster in the field. A person needs to use the brain you’ve been given when considering what and how.
True enough, but I’ve holstered safetyless striker guns thousands and thousands of times in classes and training. It’s like literally everything else with guns. There’s only a few basic rules. The trick is NEVER EVER break those rules. That means relentlessly training until they become muscle memory and then continually relentlessly training to make sure it stays muscle memory.

I agree 1000%.

When I first started carrying my XDs - and before I'd gotten mentally comfortable with the drop-safe safeties (and no manual safety) - I carried it with a snap-cap in the chamber every day for a week. Each night when I got home, I would drop the mag, point the gun in a safe direction outside, and pull the trigger.

Every day, it "fired" the snap cap. Click.

That told me that the gun had not "gone off" on its own during the course of the day, and it was all I needed to get my brain comfortable with Condition One carry. I've been carrying it Condition One ever since in my kydex IWB holster (shrouded trigger), with no problems.

Personally - and just like the author - I'll NEVER carry with an empty chamber. It's bad enough that I keep my 12ga pump "cruiser-ready" at the bedside (full tube but empty chamber), but my choice there is, in case someone gets to my bedside and to the shotgun before I wake, the sound of them racking it will absolutely wake me up. I also count on my dogs to wake me if anyone gets anywhere into my house, and I should have plenty of time to react before they're bedside with me, so I'll have time to rack one in as I raise the shotgun. But my handgun? Always Condition One.
Cruiser safe is not a problem.

Back