testtest

Is Bear Spray Better Than a Pistol?

1674762012929.jpeg

šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

I've hunted and backpacker in the Colorado mountains for 50+ years. Though you're more likely to encounter Black Bears, there is a growing population of Grizzlies since reintroduction started in the 70's and 80's.
Nope to Bear Spray. Too many factors to consider that take too much precious time. Time better spent readying your rifle or pistol to use. While you're fiddle farting around trying to figure out whether the wind is up or down, the animal's halved the distance between you and it.
In those 50+ years I've had three bear encounters. One while Elk Hunting, the other two backpacking. None ended in an attack, but in all three, I had gun in hand as I slowly backed away.
Bear Spray is for the Tree Hugging Bunny Sodomites.

It was recommended to me. By a friend in Juno, to carry a Lifeboat Flare. If a bear shows harmful intent, lite off the handheld Lifeboat Flair. This type of flare is tremendously bright and produces a lot of smoke. It terrifies a bear, and they cannot leave fast enough! The flares are rugged, waterproof, and easy to light and carry.

Take a lesson from law enforcement. Less than lethal force is always backed up with lethal force. Carry a firearm.

The 12Ga. shotgun loaded with a like round to the Remington Slugger, full power slug, is the ultimate handheld up-close game stopper.
Id agree with everything but the 12 gauge comment. IMO 12gage is over rated for a dangerous game arm. If they were the ultimate hand held weapon for stoping dangerous game? A lot more Alaskan bear guides and African PH's whould carry them. Instead of a high power rifle that delivers 4500 foot pounds of ME or more..

When I ride my horse or 4-wheeler in Griz country of MT, I always carry. Sometimes I bring bear spray too. My sidearm is a Glock 10mm with 200gr hard-cast ammo. This bullet can penetrate bear hide and bone. Glocks are reliable- throw them in the mud and they still fire. If possible, I also bring a 12ga with 00buck or slugs. Grizzly bears are fast. If you have an encounter, the problem with using bear spray is you may not stay alive long enough to fire your gun too.

Walt
Harrison, MT
10mm for Bear. šŸ‘ŽšŸ‘Ž Two thumbs down IMO. I've seen what a well place shot to a deer with a 10mm will do. Definitely not my choice for a bear stopper.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and two .357's, but if hiking I would rely on my Benelli M4 with Brennke 625 grain slugs, with the last one being 000, and all of them are 3". You are going to get nasty remarks from the granola crunchers, but that would be the same result with a handgun. If it had to be a handgun, it would be the Ruger. That .44 and the 270 grain bullets, 7.5" barrel with its sight radius, is worth the trade off over the 10mm. I am near the Cascades National Park that has a few grizzlies, but have never heard of any problems in the twenty years I have lived here. I see numerous black bears and abundant bear sign every year.

FACT: Interior grizzly seem to be far more aggressive than their ocean coastal range brothers!

That's been documented and proven!šŸ‘
The other student kicked the bear and pulled on its ears to get it to stop attacking his friend, then the bear turned its rage on him. Iā€™ve read of some pretty stupid people who go into the wilderness unarmed, but knowingly going into grizzly territory without a firearm is dangerously dumb, just as these two students found out the hard way.

I've hunted and backpacker in the Colorado mountains for 50+ years. Though you're more likely to encounter Black Bears, there is a growing population of Grizzlies since reintroduction started in the 70's and 80's.
Nope to Bear Spray. Too many factors to consider that take too much precious time. Time better spent readying your rifle or pistol to use. While you're fiddle farting around trying to figure out whether the wind is up or down, the animal's halved the distance between you and it.
In those 50+ years I've had three bear encounters. One while Elk Hunting, the other two backpacking. None ended in an attack, but in all three, I had gun in hand as I slowly backed away.
Seen a hard charging brown bear shot over 10 times with a .375! Seen a hard charging brownie pepper sprayed, stop dead in his tracks, turn and run like a tree hugging bunny sodomite straight away in the other direction. A firearm against a charging animal is only as good as the person squeezing the trigger. On a dangerous and big charging animal. Shots must be place deep well into the vitals while also breaking big heavy bone.

"BRING ENOUGH GUN!"

The best thing one can do if he's going to use a firearm is practice at fast distance closing movers! You can find on the internet how to easily, properly, a safely set up a safe moving target range. If you think it is easy to hit an animal with well placed shots while its coming at you at 30+ miles an hour? Your wrong? Especially if your pistol is holstered or your rifle is slung on your shoulder and the animal is already within ten yards of you without you knowing it! Then all of a sudden in thick brush. Along you walking trail. There is a sow on one side of the trail, her kids on the other and you in the middle! I usually take the sling off my rifle completely when specifically hunting bear or in thick bear country. That way, it's always in my hands! Just some tips from someone with a little experience. Not that others of you don't have experience. Don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
Grizzlies were not reintroduced into CO.

The nearest population (that's expanding) is in WY in the Wind River Range. They have to get across a lot of sagebrush and oil wells in the Red Desert before they get to CO.

10mm for Bear. šŸ‘ŽšŸ‘Ž Two thumbs down IMO. I've seen what a well place shot to a deer with a 10mm will do. Definitely not my choice for a bear stopper.
10mms work.

From here.

Alaskans Stop Grizzly Bear Charge with Glock 10mm On Elmendorf-Richardson

838d351f-a119-4bbc-b075-602218be3d06-jpeg.409478

Glock 20 with 200gr Hardcast

It's all about the shooters skill level, and putting the right bullet in the right load in the right place.

It's anyone's druthers what they want to carry.

I carry a similar Buffalo Bore load in my 10mm XDm 5.25 and/or XDm Compact, either mostly in a chest holster, along with my bear spray.

Last edited:
10mms work.

From here.

Alaskans Stop Grizzly Bear Charge with Glock 10mm On Elmendorf-Richardson

838d351f-a119-4bbc-b075-602218be3d06-jpeg.409478

Glock 20 with 200gr Hardcast

It's all about the shooters skill level, and putting the right bullet in the right load in the right place.

It's anyone's druthers what they want to carry.

I carry a similar Buffalo Bore load in my 10mm XDm 5.25 and/or XDm Compact, either mostly in a chest holster, along with my bear spray.
A lot of variables involved! Like you said. Shot placement is key! Skill with your arm, knowing your arm, keeping your cool and in his case, maybe even a little luck, but hard to say. šŸ¤· Any one is free to carry what they like for bear protection no doubt. Im not nearly as comfortable, confident, or accurate with a side arm as I am with a rifle or carbine. Not saying the 10mm cant do it. Im just saying its not the best choice. IMO, far from it. That being said. If you pack a 10mm? Your "Bringing Enough Gun" vs "no gun at all!" šŸ¤£ That's an interesting story and it seems to be NOT a small bruin! Impressive for sure. Im surprised I never heard about it until now. Big state, small population. Word travels fast about something like that in the shooting and hunting world here in AK! The LGS and Sporting goods shops are full of all kinds of related gossip! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Thanks for sharing that @Talyn! Good on ya!šŸ‘

Respect and Enjoy Bear Country. Donā€™t Fear It​

If your passion, whether hiking, fishing, hunting, trail running, etc. puts you squarely in bear country, it doesnā€™t mean you have to stop doing it or live in fear of the idea. On the contrary, part of why we venture out into the wilderness is because of the intrinsic wildness of it all.

Whether you prefer bear spray or a gun, pick your deterrent of choice and practice with it (safely and frequently). Also, be mindful of how you carry the spray or firearm.

Staying Safe in Bear Country

When I ride my horse or 4-wheeler in Griz country of MT, I always carry. Sometimes I bring bear spray too. My sidearm is a Glock 10mm with 200gr hard-cast ammo. This bullet can penetrate bear hide and bone. Glocks are reliable- throw them in the mud and they still fire. If possible, I also bring a 12ga with 00buck or slugs. Grizzly bears are fast. If you have an encounter, the problem with using bear spray is you may not stay alive long enough to fire your gun too.

Walt
Harrison, MT
I donā€™t think that most people really have a good feel for either just how big or just how fast a Brown Bear may be. Full grown Coastal Brownies in Alaska can average 1100 pounds and move at 35 mph (read a 6 second 100yard dash) more over they can take a heard an lung shot an still have enough living time to take you out.

I donā€™t think that most people really have a good feel for either just how big or just how fast a Brown Bear may be. Full grown Coastal Brownies in Alaska can average 1100 pounds and move at 35 mph (read a 6 second 100yard dash) more over they can take a heard an lung shot an still have enough living time to take you out.
The Lincoln male is the 3rd-largest Montana grizzly measured out at 830 lbs. & 8 feet tall. The one on the bottom was either #1 or #2.

We just don't have the salmon runs to fatten ours up. Ours are fast also.

grizzly-bear.png

Birch Creek male estimated at 900 lbs.

e4f18d08-86a6-4ecf-a812-39f22221e4be-20181018_092132.jpg

Last edited:
The Lincoln male is the 3rd-largest Montana grizzly measured out at 830 lbs. & 8 feet tall. The one on the bottom was either #1 or #2.

We just don't have the salmon runs to fatten ours up. Ours are fast also.

grizzly-bear.png

Birch Creek male estimated at 900 lbs.

e4f18d08-86a6-4ecf-a812-39f22221e4be-20181018_092132.jpg
Those are still HUGE interior grizzly bear! Very nice bear!

That guy squaring in the bottom picture looks familiar.
Is that legendary Scranton Joe?
Morris Talifson.

The two men in the other picture with the man on the ladder is
Bill Pinnel (on lader) and Morris Talifson
Both guided Kodiak Browns from the 40's to the 80's and are the most famous and successful Kodiak Brown Bear guides to ever come off the Island. With literally over a thousand successful hunts recorded. Morris's hated the 7mm Mag for brown bear. He said, "bears just have to be riddled with that round".

Last edited:
Back