testtest

Is Carrying a Micro 1911 a Mistake?

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Is Carrying a Micro 1911 a Mistake?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-carrying-a-micro-1911-a-mistake/.

I have the Sig P938, which I love as a carry pistol, but it lacks the grip safety which makes me nervous when picking it up in the dark (Don't turn the lights on so I don't wake the wife), although I am very careful not to put my finger in the trigger area. It fits my hand, is slim and easy to conceal, and I do handle it well at the range.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Is Carrying a Micro 1911 a Mistake?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-carrying-a-micro-1911-a-mistake/.

I am a big fan of the 45. I have the 1911,xd45 even a carbine rifle 45. I don't understand the 9mm craziness. Why chamber a micro 1911 in a sub grade bullet. The 7.62x25 mm hits just as hard as a 45. It's distance and accuracy far exceed the 9mm. Why would you do this to a classic like the 1911. Oh I also have a 7.62x25 gun as well so I am very aware of how good of a gun and ammo it is. You couldn't give or pay me to consider let alone carry a 9mm. I would expect such a good gun maker really think the ammo that matches the 45 ammo, not down grade.

As a Springfield fan, I would love to shoot one of their micro 1911s and see if they are all they're stacked up to be. I'm actively looking for a buyer to take my Hellcat OSP off my hands, so my experience with the micro compact side of the family hasn't been great so far. This article hints that a lot of what I found distasteful about the Hellcat (rough on the hands when firing more than one or two shots) is not an issue with the EMP, but I'd have to shoot it to prove it.

I started trying out various micro compacts because I wanted something a little more streamlined and concealable than my XD Mod.2 subcompact as a summer carry option. So far, I haven't found a micro compact that I can practice with and not get the "I'm holding a small porcupine suffering from seizures" feeling.

I'm not practiced with the 1911 platform, but I'm willing to take that on if this is "the one."

I have the Sig P938, which I love as a carry pistol, but it lacks the grip safety which makes me nervous when picking it up in the dark (Don't turn the lights on so I don't wake the wife), although I am very careful not to put my finger in the trigger area. It fits my hand, is slim and easy to conceal, and I do handle it well at the range.

I don't use semi for night stands. I'm a little old fashioned 6 shooter no worries about accidentally firing gun. No burgler hears a slide. Hollowpoint 357 will stop anybody and scare anybody thats with them. That ends accidents but stops intruders. Wife has a 7.62x25 and she is my backup. Her gun has little recoil and she can handle with ease. If you can't do it in 6 shots you have no business having a weapon that holds more. Your an accident waiting to happen. They do make speed loaders for 6 shooters.

I'm just not very accurate with my Kimber micro-9.I really like the size, and it feels good in my hand, even after 500 rounds, I'm still not accurate. So I went back to packing H/K SK200 in.40. Its a little bigger, but I am deadly accurate with it. But hey, that's just me.

Doesn't it come down to what works for you? I carry a P938. My choice came down to trigger, size and accuracy. It solves all three for myself.

Sure I would like more capacity, but 7+1 should be adequate if the need ever arose. My emphasis is on making my first shot count. The 938 gives me confidence that is probable whether I need to fire quickly or have adequate time to aim.

I would say yes to the question, it is worth it. My pistol gives me what I consider the best compromises for what I anticipate needing it for.

"Is Carrying a Micro 1911 a Mistake?" No, not as long as you have a full size to back it up ;)
1911 Gov't Model.JPG

I don't use semi for night stands. I'm a little old fashioned 6 shooter no worries about accidentally firing gun. No burgler hears a slide. Hollowpoint 357 will stop anybody and scare anybody thats with them. That ends accidents but stops intruders. Wife has a 7.62x25 and she is my backup. Her gun has little recoil and she can handle with ease. If you can't do it in 6 shots you have no business having a weapon that holds more. Your an accident waiting to happen. They do make speed loaders for 6 shooters.
Admire your confidence, but I don't know that I will always hit my target under the sort of stress I would expect to be under in a home invasion/break in scenario. It's not reasonable to expect them to remain still like a range target. What happens if there are four assailants but you need two shots to end the treat from each of the first three? I don't want to assume the last will automatically disengage.

In theory, one shot should be enough to end the threat from a single individual. I choose not to stake my life on that. I would rather have eight left in my XDm for any more potential threats than need to hope I have time to reload my sixgun.

Bravado sounds good, but in practice it could get you killed. In a fight for your life your goal should only be to win, not gain style points in the process.

Admire your confidence, but I don't know that I will always hit my target under the sort of stress I would expect to be under in a home invasion/break in scenario. It's not reasonable to expect them to remain still like a range target. What happens if there are four assailants but you need two shots to end the treat from each of the first three? I don't want to assume the last will automatically disengage.

In theory, one shot should be enough to end the threat from a single individual. I choose not to stake my life on that. I would rather have eight left in my XDm for any more potential threats than need to hope I have time to reload my sixgun.

Bravado sounds good, but in practice it could get you killed. In a fight for your life your goal should only be to win, not gain style points in the process.
I get what your saying. A speed loader drops just as fast as a magazine. You have to keep in mind hallways and tight spaces, you will not have line of sight on all assailants. I keep to speed loaders in police carry holster. I have back up a wife with a semi auto and 3 magazines. If you have ever used a 357 the muzzle fire and sound are scarier than an auto. I keep my xd45 close if needed in another place with 3 13 round magazines. Always have more than one gun in a 2 story house you never know where you will be when **** hits the fan

I got off topic the discussion was the micro 1911. I love my full size and I'm big enough to conceal that. My wife needs a micro for concealment. The whole thing I was trying to say is the 7.62x25 mm has the same knock down power as the 45. A ball load can cut through more than one person. A 9mm can't you have to get a p+ if you want it to have power. A 7.62x25 mm hollowpoint is not what you want to get hit with. It is just as big as a 9mm so you can fit just as mini in a magazine and make a perfect micro 1911. Ammo is everything in handling and performance.

Back