testtest

Is the 1911 Dangerous to Carry?

Agreed.
Anyone involved in a conversation about gun safety and starts an argument with
“if a child picks up a gun” immediately has there argument dismissed.
There is no reason whatsoever that a (child) should be able to gain access to a firearm!!! Period!!! Gun owners that leave their firearms out and accessible to children shouldn’t own guns.
Howl at that!!!
I won't bother to take the time to research/list the times a child has picked up a firearm.....and discharged it.........
What now??

I won't bother to take the time to research/list the times a child has picked up a firearm.....and discharged it.........
What now??
Agreed.
Anyone involved in a conversation about gun safety and starts an argument with
“if a child picks up a gun” immediately has there argument dismissed.
There is no reason whatsoever that a (child) should be able to gain access to a firearm!!! Period!!! Gun owners that leave their firearms out and accessible to children shouldn’t own guns.
Howl at that!!!
Starts an argument? Who? Thought this forum exchanged viewpoints?
But stay with the point: If the same child picks up a firearm an idiot did not secure and one is a 1911 and the other a "splitter", which one is most likely to have an AD/UD??

What now??
260DE0AC-3A48-4A35-9EBE-34025CCA6108.jpeg

There is no question about idiots. There is agreement on safety. Don't be soooo defensive; I'm not against splitter triggers, I owned a full line of them and competed with them.

But on the question ( focus with me please ) of whether a splitter is a tad less safe than the 1911, the answer is clearly yes.

Anyone can go to humor, or ignore the facts, or refuse to admit to a point, or take it personal with another viewpoint, or feel less a person to admit/change/agree to a point they had not previously considered, or divert from the single question; so what?

So I'll display my "pattern" to (I think) it was BobM, and move on. Just offering my take on the matter, it's not the end of the world to any who believes the splitter is more/equally safe to the 1911.

Ok, good thread, here in my reply.......The Revolver is far the safest gun to carry, it can't go off unless you actually pull the trigger and the double action is extremely heavy so you will know if your pulling the trigger or not. 1911"s are perfectly safe just as any other gun if you know what your doing and keep your damn finger out of the trigger guard...

Ok, good thread, here in my reply.......The Revolver is far the safest gun to carry, it can't go off unless you actually pull the trigger and the double action is extremely heavy so you will know if your pulling the trigger or not. 1911"s are perfectly safe just as any other gun if you know what your doing and keep your damn finger out of the trigger guard...
But.............unlike the other two ( revolver & splitter ) which will go BANG! just by the pull of the trigger, the eleven has the two steps ( manual + grip ) safeties that must be activated before she will go Bang! with a trigger squeeze, which makes the nineteen just a tad safer, no? In other words, the 1911 is the only one that one could pull the trigger (intentional (idiot) or accidental ) and the piece would not fire.............just a tad safer, no?

I agree the revolver is safe, unless the hammer is back.............

Although funny gun safety is not a joke and should NEVER be taken lightly and be CONSTANTLY talked about so that everyone is safe.
was not being funny or joking, it just seems that everything that can be said, on this particular subject, has been said.
and speaking of not funny, when people on here or there or anywhere, refer to firearms as "toys"( as in range toys, or I'm buying/bought a new toy) they are not toys, never have been and never will be.

was not being funny or joking, it just seems that everything that can be said, on this particular subject, has been said.
and speaking of not funny, when people on here or there or anywhere, refer to firearms as "toys"( as in range toys, or I'm buying/bought a new toy) they are not toys, never have been and never will be.
Agree on the toy comment however with safety there is nothing that has not been said to much.
My opinion.

But.............unlike the other two ( revolver & splitter ) which will go BANG! just by the pull of the trigger, the eleven has the two steps ( manual + grip ) safeties that must be activated before she will go Bang! with a trigger squeeze, which makes the nineteen just a tad safer, no? In other words, the 1911 is the only one that one could pull the trigger (intentional (idiot) or accidental ) and the piece would not fire.............just a tad safer, no?

I agree the revolver is safe, unless the hammer is back.............
When I was working at my sheriff dept, one deputy actually deactivated his grip safety, ask why in the hell would you do that...his reply.....its a nuisance .........so yea, idiots are out there.....

Agree on the toy comment however with safety there is nothing that has not been said to much.
My opinion.
I agree, Safety is paramount! but......

IS THE 1911 DANGEROUS TO CARRY?​

this is the original question that was posted, now this thread went through most possible scenarios about the 1911 and whether or not it is safe to carry, then like many other threads this one morphed into hammer with safety vs striker with and without safety, and kids getting their hands on them and so on. and that's all FINE, but start a new thread if the topic changes like this ( I know, I know, I'm free to ignore the postings I don't want to read) but when I look at a topic and decide to read it, I expect to read about the topic at hand, not all the other variations. This exact same thing happens in many threads on here. feel free to ignore what I've written, if you'd like too :)

I carry an EMP 4" with 1 in the chamber and no thumb safety on. I don't see an issue carrying this way and since this is my first 1911 I've ever carried, it takes away the learning curve. I do place it into my IWB holster with the thumb safety on, then take it off after that. I can see some reasons to keep it on, but I don't think it's a safety issue...
Peace,
Michael J.
It seems to me that the most dangerous part of carrying is when you holster the gun. I believe it is a good idea to put your safety on when you holster. Once the gun is safely and securely snapped into the holster, you likely have no danger of it going off, if you have a good-quality holster which keeps the gun from moving, and which totally protects the trigger. Therefore, there is no harm in turning off the safety at that point.

When I carried my Beretta IWB, I would put the safety on, holster the gun, then turn the safety off. Of course, my Beretta is DA/SA, and I would carry it in DA mode. With the safety off and with the gun in DA mode, it was always ready, and I felt it was safe to carry that way.

Mentally, I fully agree with you that the way you carry your 1911 is safe; emotionally, I'm not sure I could carry a 1911 that way.

I carry an EMP 4" with 1 in the chamber and no thumb safety on. I don't see an issue carrying this way and since this is my first 1911 I've ever carried, it takes away the learning curve. I do place it into my IWB holster with the thumb safety on, then take it off after that. I can see some reasons to keep it on, but I don't think it's a safety issue...
Peace,
Michael J.
Just an old man's observation: Carry as you like. But. First time carry for 1911? Think it's an asset to short circuit the "learning curve?" Since (to my way of thinking) the best "draw" is with the thumb atop the safety, with the safety coming off (with a bit of pressure) when a trigger squeeze is imminent and with the thumb remaining on the safety as a proper grip so the high thumb assists to dampen both upward recoil and the left hand rotation. Even if it is safe to holster the piece then thumb safety off for carry, the question is why? And why risk the hundred things that could/do go wrong on the draw with the thumb safety already "off"? I see nothing gained by your condition one manual safety off carry, see reasons to keep it on holstered and do see safety (and learning curve) issues.

FWIW…

Back in the day, there was a Texas Ranger—Lone Wolf Gonzaullus—that carried a 1911 with the grip safety pinned down and the thumb safety off.

He also had the front of the trigger guard cut away.

Never shot himself with it, afaik…
E359ABE5-F1B5-4CC0-BA83-B47886959FEB.jpeg

Now, I wouldn’t advise ANYONE to do this (particularly in today’s climate), but…it does go a long ways in showing how proper gun handling mitigates a hell of a lot of risks.

Just sayin'.

FWIW…

Back in the day, there was a Texas Ranger—Lone Wolf Gonzaullus—that carried a 1911 with the grip safety pinned down and the thumb safety off.

He also had the front of the trigger guard cut away.

Never shot himself with it, afaik…View attachment 22804

Now, I wouldn’t advise ANYONE to do this (particularly in today’s climate), but…it does go a long ways in showing how proper gun handling mitigates a hell of a lot of risks.

Just sayin'.
I’m glad you mentioned
“in today’s climate” as that is totally irresponsible and although as you said he never shot himself, if he had or shot someone else (by not using) safe firearm fundamentals he we have had no defense. WOW

I’m glad you mentioned
“in today’s climate” as that is totally irresponsible and although as you said he never shot himself, if he had or shot someone else (by not using) safe firearm fundamentals he we have had no defense. WOW
Oh, I believe he shot SEVERAL people with it…but they were viewed as “people who needed shootin’ “, as it were.

But that was then.

Back