testtest

Is This Your First Gun?

Although I own the SA XDE, XD.MOD2, XDS (all compact in .45), and the XD(M) 10mm 5.25 bbl, my fist gun was actually 2 guns. I bought a S&W M&P 9mm 4.25 bbl & Bushmaster EM15 ORC .223/5.56 from Cabelas as the first firearms I bought. I started late in life, and wish I got interested in firearm much earlier in my youth. It is was it is I suppose. :( Now I’m making up for lost time, as I keep adding to my collection.:cool:

It seems I grew up in a different time and world. My parents gave me my first real gun when I was 12 years old, it was a .410ga bolt action shotgun for hunting. I purchased my first pistol after I had joined the military a Colt Trooper MK III.

Welcome to The Armory Life Forum. This auto-generated thread is for discussing The Armory Life article titled Is This Your First Gun? which can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-this-your-first-gun/.

My first XD was a 4" service model in .45 acp. It was accurate AND reliable. After about 11,00 rounds through it, I retired it and purchased the 10mm in 4.25". After several hundred rounds through it, I am very happy to say it rests in my hip every time I leave the house. I feel well protected and well armed for anything i encounter throughout my day. My next purchase just may be the Hellcat...I've been looking for a pocket 9mm. I'll keep you informed.

My first gun was a Remington Nylon 66. It still sits in my closet 31 years later and is the rifle my kids have learned to shoot with. Love that little .22.

My first is my dad's first - a 1952 Colt 4" OP .38 revolver that he carried with him in Korea (Cdr-USN/Ret). 97-98% condition, numbers match. Hand-carved, monogrammed ivory grips that he had done while overseas, still have the original Colt box, the original manual/pamphlet, and the business card for the shop who made the grips. It was a gift from his FBI brother, before he shipped out for his four campaigns overseas, on the Essex.

The safe also has my .308 rifle; my 12ga pump is...um...strategically placed in the house; and the XDs is my first true "carry" pistol. Once I get a rental property sold and my budget recovers, I'll be adding to the 'family'...really want to try out a Hellcat!

My first is my dad's first - a 1952 Colt 4" OP .38 revolver that he carried with him in Korea (Cdr-USN/Ret). 97-98% condition, numbers match. Hand-carved, monogrammed ivory grips that he had done while overseas, still have the original Colt box, the original manual/pamphlet, and the business card for the shop who made the grips. It was a gift from his FBI brother, before he shipped out for his four campaigns overseas, on the Essex.

The safe also has my .308 rifle; my 12ga pump is...um...strategically placed in the house; and the XDs is my first true "carry" pistol. Once I get a rental property sold and my budget recovers, I'll be adding to the 'family'...really want to try out a Hellcat!
Your dad's pistol sounds like a great piece to be passed down through the family.

Go Navy! :)

My first firearm was a Marlin rifle in .22LR, which I still have after 25 years. I did not do any research in my purchase it was solely based on price. Now I do research and try to shot the gun before I buy. Which is much more easier to do thanks to rentals at gun ranges. The Hellcat is on my radar right now. Read many articles and watched some of the 10K round shoot test video.

My first firearm was a Marlin rifle in .22LR, which I still have after 25 years. I did not do any research in my purchase it was solely based on price. Now I do research and try to shot the gun before I buy. Which is much more easier to do thanks to rentals at gun ranges. The Hellcat is on my radar right now. Read many articles and watched some of the 10K round shoot test video.

Funny enough, while it’s not my first gun, I just got done cleaning and lubricating a 50 year old Marlin 22LR that came out of my deceased father-in-law’s closet when he passed away 4 years ago. I don’t think he ever cleaned it, and believe it was purchased in the 1960’s, as it also had some 22LR boxes of ammo that cost 89 cents at Otasco, which has not been in this area in decades. The workings were very sticky and gummed up, a lot of Ballistol later, the bolt and trigger feel free, and I loaded 17 rounds of 22LR into the tube, then cycled them through the chamber with the bolt.

My first gun I purchased was a Ruger Mark II target pistol with the 5.5” bull barrel. Around 1990 or 1991. A few years after that my uncle gave me my great grandfather’s S&W M&P 38 special 6”, confirmed by letter to have been made in 1905, and my great grand father’s Winchester 1873 .38-40 with the 24” octogonal barrel. Based on serial number, that one was made in the early 1880’s. I still shoot the Smith & Wesson at least yearly, using wad cutters, and recently picked up some Black Hills 38-40 rounds to test the rifle with “some day”.

Last edited:
Nice article. Research is key. I liked the way the author went to the range and shot different pistols before he made his choice. I did that with my wife, it works well. For me however, I did not know you could rent pistols at gun ranges when I purchased mine. I am sure the salesman in the gun shop new you could but he didn’t share it with me. Probably didn’t want to lose a sale to some kid that didn’t know any better. Water under the bridge...

Nice article. Research is key. I liked the way the author went to the range and shot different pistols before he made his choice. I did that with my wife, it works well. For me however, I did not know you could rent pistols at gun ranges when I purchased mine. I am sure the salesman in the gun shop new you could but he didn’t share it with me. Probably didn’t want to lose a sale to some kid that didn’t know any better. Water under the bridge...
True Maks_Ameau. When I went to Cabela's to purchase my 2 first time guns, all I did was a bit of research on each after some people told me about these two guns. I never went to a range before, in fact I never even fired a gun before (other than My Crossman single shot pellet pistol). After my purchase, I took a leasson at the local range to make sure I knew about saftey & the other preliminaries of owning a firearm. It was there that I saw that they rent firearms for use (as well as ear & eye protection if you did not have these either).

Back