testtest

Is Your Grip Why You Miss?

I've found it much more helpful to video the shooter. If they are having a repetitive problem there is a repeated fault. Most of the time in my experience it is easier to look at their actions with them and they will point out the issue before you need to. It makes it both easier to give and receive advice.
I started this when my youngest daughter got into archery. Like most children she didn't always take my advice, which to her was criticism, well at all. When I took a video of her without her knowing and let her see it after the next round it immediately changed our conversation. Her words "I see it dad, now tell me what I can do about it."
The funny part is all four of the coaches said they had never seen anyone shoot like her. Right handed shooting left because it was her dominant eye, too fast to release, and according to them an improper anchor point. Despite that she was consistently challenging for the top shooter at her school, finished state in the top ten three years in a row(3rd,5th,9th), and eleventh at national competition.
All that said to agree not everyone takes the same path but getting there is what counts.

Ideas on grip:

In my opinion, the primary purpose of grip is to control recoil for a faster follow-up shot. We want to maximize skin to weapon contact so we can mitigate the recoil. While the grip is valuable, I don't think it is as important as trigger manipulation for accuracy, unless you are competing, which still doesn't place it as important as trigger manipulation. IMO.

My other issue with perfect grip and stance is that it mainly only applies on a flat range world. This is great if you are learning to shoot, learning a new weapon, or just testing accuracy. If you are in a life and death situation, you better be getting to cover, and learning to shoot in ways that aren't vertical. When practicing these you suddenly have a slightly modified grip that doesn't allow you to square your shoulders. It feels awkward but is something you can get used to and should. Practice shooting around barriers whenever you can.

Finger placement is another thing that seems to cause some issues. I index my finger differently on different pistols. On my Glocks I place the trigger almost to the crook of my finger, on my xdms I place the trigger in the middle of my finger. I learned to notice what my finger placement was doing to the gun when I pulled the trigger. The best way to explain this is to watch the Pat McNamara video from above. You want the trigger to move straight back, otherwise you are pulling your shots one way or another.

You have some great points here love your input.

Being able to replicate all the inputs when shooting is also vitally important. Whatever your grip style is, it needs to be consistent. Finger placement needs to be consistent.

Hand placement from the holster draw is something that needs to be consistent. It is easy to practice, but it sets the foundation for everything else. A bad initial grip from holster makes you waste time fixing it, or make bad shots if you don't.

Back