testtest

Kimber and Springfield 1911s…

My Kimber Stainless II, and some of my Springfields. A 9 MM, and a Longslide with a Range Officer underneath. Both in .45 ACP. I'm thinking of changing out the rubber grips on the Kimber, to a set of Walnut double diamond grips.

k9DxXZi.jpg

aYWgPeS.jpg

lvDJDxU.jpg

Telling ya, don’t overlook the MetroArms hard chrome American Classic II. They make it in 10mm. Runs about $700 right now. Might have to look for it under Tri-Star since they are importing it now. I have 2 in 45. Still my most reliable. Still the boys favorite.
Thanks for the information but honestly I’m a Springfield Armory guy and although Kimber makes a nice looking 1911 I’ve been following this thread and with all the issues noted it’s kind of a turn off. I did look at a Colt before picking up my Emissary but I’m happy with my choice in the SA 1911

@Annihilator if you can find me this gun under MSRP, I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Out of stock right now, but you can get notified when it’s back in and they do online sales

Thanks for the information but honestly I’m a Springfield Armory guy and although Kimber makes a nice looking 1911 I’ve been following this thread and with all the issues noted it’s kind of a turn off. I did look at a Colt before picking up my Emissary but I’m happy with my choice in the SA 1911
I don’t blame you. I’ve had about 20 Springfields now, although there have been issues with some of the Springfields lately, they always take care of me.

So, how many Garrisons did you have to send back?
2 Garrisons, both in 9mm went back. The Garrison in 45 ran fine without any intervention.

1 Loaded in 45 went back for sights. The other Loaded in 45 needed the sand on the bottom of the slide to operate properly but didn’t have to go back. Did that myself.

I know, it’s a long thread, lot to remember.

Last edited:
A lot if die hard 1911 owners and shooters. Will accept no other chambering than .45 Auto. In a 1911 platform! 🤔 Maybe for a good reason?

Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!

Back in the 80's I had two Colt Gold Cups (series 70 & 80) but was very dissapointed in the loose fit so after I checked out a friends SA I sold the Gold Cups (except one limited production model that was builr better) and moved to SAs.

Other than my SAs (all 90's and older models), one of which I converted to a 9x23 Winchester.

I've found that RIA 1911s are well built although they won't win any beauty contests. Have a 9mm & converted a 9mm to 38 Super.

I also have a .45 Charles Daly that I use as a practice gun, and recently built my first .45 1911 from parts which was a fun project.

I was never attracted to Kimbers mainly due to the "frosted" finish which doesn't appeal to me.

The only remaining 1911 I'd like to get is a duplicate of the 1911A1 carried by my Dad, and others through WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War. The Auto-Ordnance’s 1911BKO is the only US-made model that faithfully replicates the US 1911A1.

1655496551153.png

1655496585641.png

SA used to make a mil-spec 1911A1 replica a few years back but doesn't anymore.

Last edited:
A lot if die hard 1911 owners and shooters. Will accept no other chambering than .45 Auto. In a 1911 platform! 🤔 Maybe for a good reason?

Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!
As guys get older and start having issues with arthritis in their golden years, I’ve witnessed quite a few of them reach a point where racking a semi auto slide either become a challenge or are just plain unable to do it any longer. I know a few that have gone to XDE’s or EZ’s because of it. 9mm is a good alternative because they are in general, quite a bit easier to rack and a lot softer to shoot and hang onto than a 45 version. My wife is a good example of someone sensitive to tension on the slide and she took to the Rapide like a duck to water. HER gun is an 380 EZ because of the grip strength issue.

Garrison 9mm came in today. As expected, runs great. 5 test mags run through it without issue. Hoping to get the other on back soon so I can make the final decision on which I’m keeping.

Regardless, I ended up with 6 reliable, good looking guns out of this. Stopped and bought 3 packs of Kimber mag plates (9) for the guns with magwell extensions. May put some on the Springfields but that’s not decided.
420833CA-4677-4FC0-9D15-CA9C0655A196.jpeg

Going to start looking for a good price on a hard chrome 10mm American Classic II to go with my two 45s. Make myself another trio.

Garrison 9mm came in today. As expected, runs great. 5 test mags run through it without issue. Hoping to get the other on back soon so I can make the final decision on which I’m keeping.

Regardless, I ended up with 6 reliable, good looking guns out of this. Stopped and bought 3 packs of Kimber mag plates (9) for the guns with magwell extensions. May put some on the Springfields but that’s not decided.
View attachment 28247
Going to start looking for a good price on a hard chrome 10mm American Classic II to go with my two 45s. Make myself another trio.
Looooook'nnnnnn good! 👍

Got my MetroArms 10mm ordered. $769 shipped. Was pricey considering my .45s were around $550-$600. The only other one I could find was $820 shipped. I had considered a 9mm because they were available $200 cheaper but… I already have 2 1911s in 9mm and only 1 in 10mm (at least that I’m keeping). Those hard chrome 45s are great little guns. Hope this one doesn’t disappoint.

I’ve been through everything 1911 still being offered by Springfield, looking for my next gun to target. Unfortunately, these will likely be the last Springfield 1911’s I buy for some time. Just not a big fan of the direction the company is taking with the lineup. I have a my Garrisons and Loaded but it appears Springfield has jumped in both feet with cerakote and blued slides over stainless frames, neither of which is appealing to me. The TRP comes in “satin” stainless which appears to be a matte like Kimber. I’m not a big fan of either (you saw what I did to those Kimbers). I think we disagree on what “satin” stainless is. It’s fine on a gun that costs half as much but I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for that finish on a premium offering. The mil-spec might be something I’d look at at some point when the price is right but that’s a shot in the dark.

I’m sure there are are varying taste / opinions that differ from mine, there is just little left that appeals to me. When my attention finally turns to blued guns, I may circle back around and see what’s available but that won’t likely happen in the near future.

Springfield is discontinuing A LOT of 1911 Models.

Back