testtest

Knife sharpeners

Well I have been sharpening by hand since I first started carrying a knife around the age of 8 or 9 . I will say the first few attempts didn't turn out so well. 😂
My first attempt was about 5 with a butter knife and a stone my grandmother gave me because I begged her. She asked me why I was so quiet and came and looked and I had actually gotten enough of an edge to slash my palm when I slipped. She asked me why I did not say anything and I replied because you would have taken it away. And a love affair was born.

Lasky system is nice but with tapered spines and knives like the Microtech with its curve taper spine it's a lot more problematic to use.
I considered the Lansky. This system seems more useful to me. I still will send the MT back to them for maintenance.

I ordered a couple Benchmades last night. I'll send them back to the mother ship for that stuff too. Benchmade is free. And I hear you can send them an envelope full of pieces and they will repair the knife, clean and sharpen it and send it back. MT is a little more user unfriendly about their warranty.

Has anyone here got an opinion on the work sharp Ken Onion ?

I have been looking to get a decent, fairly low cost paper belt sharpening system ( not for really good knives mind you) and this one seems to fit the bill. It gets pretty good reviews and seems like it's fairly well made.

Any opinions on other sharpening systems are appreciated too. Basically I have about 300-350 knives that I have picked up over the years and then just shoved into duffel bags and forgotten about. Most of them need some attention. I'd rather not spend forever and a day trying to sharpen them with stones, which I am not all that great at to begin with. I also have bladed tools I use on the regular around here that constantly need maintenance etc..

What I would like is something that is easy to use, does a good job and doesn't ruin blades. I'd also like to keep the price in the $100 range.
This is what I use

I take my time and use a Lansky sharpner on my good blades. I have a 1" X 20" air tool belt sander I run at 30 psi for kitchen knives ect. I buy 4" X 20" sanding belts and cut them a inch wide.

I considered the Lansky. This system seems more useful to me. I still will send the MT back to them for maintenance.

I ordered a couple Benchmades last night. I'll send them back to the mother ship for that stuff too. Benchmade is free. And I hear you can send them an envelope full of pieces and they will repair the knife, clean and sharpen it and send it back. MT is a little more user unfriendly about their warranty.
My EDC Kershaw that I have been carrying more than 20 years has been back to the factory twice for work on the lock and sharpening. Can't beat the service.

I have a Lansky and it works well but am impatient so I default to the Worksharp. But then all my knives are pretty pedestrian. I have a couple high end kitchen knives that I will send out for sharpening

Those of you who use ceramic rods for routine maintenance. Is there a difference which brand ? I assume it needs to be a fine honing rod ideally ?

I have this ceramic rod arrangement to put a quick edge on utility kitchen knives. Bought it in a local hardware store more than 20 years ago. I use it to touch up blades just before filleting chicken breasts or fish or slicing tomatoes. I have no idea who makes the ceramic rods, not sure there is much difference in manufacturers.

FWIW the Bearded Butchers have a youtube video on using a stone. It is revealing how much metal is removed by constant sharpening. Word of caution: never get in a knife fight with those guys😉

Attachments

• 20230529_064151.jpg
    20230529_064151.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
I have this ceramic rod arrangement to put a quick edge on utility kitchen knives. Bought it in a local hardware store more than 20 years ago. I use it to touch up blades just before filleting chicken breasts or fish or slicing tomatoes. I have no idea who makes the ceramic rods, not sure there is much difference in manufacturers.

FWIW the Bearded Butchers have a youtube video on using a stone. It is revealing how much metal is removed by constant sharpening. Word of caution: never get in a knife fight with those guys😉

I strive to never get in a knife fight period. Been there, done that. You don't win knife fights. You survive them.

I've had the K.O. adition sharpener for a few years. There is a learning curve. Start with cheap knives because you can ruin one if you use the sharpener incorrectly. With enough practice, you can sharpen higher end knives to a polished edge without damage. Depending on blade finish, you may have to use painters tape to prevent scratches.

Back