testtest

Knife Sharpening: Pocket-sized tool, or Elaborate System?

^ Cool - thanks!

I was just curious because that's in the same ballpark, and looks like a similar device. I've been out of the knife hobby for going on a decade and a half, now, so I'm not up-to-date on all the latest and greatest. :oops: This was my first time seeing the Wranglestar, so it piqued my interest. :)

Any recommendations for a serrated blade? I have a nice Benchmade that was gifted to me years ago that needs some love. I've also heard they offer a lifetime warranty - anyone ever send one back to them for a rehab?

Any recommendations for a serrated blade? I have a nice Benchmade that was gifted to me years ago that needs some love. I've also heard they offer a lifetime warranty - anyone ever send one back to them for a rehab?
I don't know about sending knives in for sharpening/warranty work, but that little sharpener I posted in the beginning has a tapered fold-out tool for serration work.

I like the edge this puts on my knives...... spent a day sharpening everything in the house.
This particular version of the Work Sharp is a Cabela's exclusive.

View attachment 1648
I have one of these too but have to pick up some new belts. Only way I can sharpen a knife decently. Grandad always just used a small whetstone. Never had as much patience as he had. I have a couple of stones he used for years that are almost worn into two pieces.

I have one of these too but have to pick up some new belts. Only way I can sharpen a knife decently. Grandad always just used a small whetstone. Never had as much patience as he had. I have a couple of stones he used for years that are almost worn into two pieces.
I ordered replacement belts from Amazon. Had them in a jiffy.

The spyderco sharp maker does that. It has triangular ceramic rods that sharpen a lot of blade styles.

Nothing is going to sharpen cheap metal.

If a serious take down is required (chips, gouges, and so on) a course stone of commercial grade.........

From there on it is the fine and soft Arkansas stone.........

And lastly, jewelers rouge on the rough side of leather fixed to a board.......shave with it every time.

Call me old school but I like the old wet stones when it comes to sharping a knife. Plus it’s kinda relaxing sitting in front of the tv and sharping a knife or two.

That is pretty much how I do it. I have used some super fine sand paper if it needs it. I wrap the sand paper around something and can get it pretty sharp.

With most everyone carrying some sort of folder, or fixed blade, wondering what you use to keep things sharp. I don't hunt, so no need to have a extremely sharp blade for field dressing a deer or other animal. I just use a small, pocket-sized, inexpensive sharpener for my daily carry utility knife. Coarse and Fine slots, plus a fold-out tool for serrated blades.View attachment 1633View attachment 1634View attachment 1635
I have one of these. It doesn’t do a very good job. The most I can say is it will make a dull, jacked up blade sharper than it was.

I’ve tried a few “Systems”. Never bonded with any of them. My old man was a butcher his whole life and when he retired he gave me all his stones and steel. I have a nice Japanese stone that does an amazing job.

I am not sure. If you use a Japanese knife, you should read the article on Sharpener of Japanese Knife. There are many ways to do it. You read the topic of sharpeners for Japanese knives. It's very helpful for you.
Hi rehan890,
Welcome to the forum! Have a good time reading and learning. Am hoping you have a good time. There's many good people here!

Was a good review article you posted. A bit hard to decipher sometimes because of wording being a bit off, but the intention of you and article information is good. If you don't mind me asking and in most ways doesn't matter, where are you from? May help to understand each other better is all?

Back