testtest

Knife Sharpening: Pocket-sized tool, or Elaborate System?

ScottJ

Professional
Founding Member
With most everyone carrying some sort of folder, or fixed blade, wondering what you use to keep things sharp. I don't hunt, so no need to have a extremely sharp blade for field dressing a deer or other animal. I just use a small, pocket-sized, inexpensive sharpener for my daily carry utility knife. Coarse and Fine slots, plus a fold-out tool for serrated blades. 20200203_144353.jpg20200203_144838.jpg20200203_144440.jpg

^ Stropping is always nice.

-----

I use the Work Sharp (Ken Onion model - it was on sale, and hey, I figure if I was in the bathroom with the guy, at the urinals together and chatting once, this will just remind me of the hilarity of that!) for my kitchen knives and any user that I've neglected for too long.

The kitchen stuff is nothing special, just the usual Henckels "Professional" series, and the Work Sharp really does them both quickly and nicely. Works just fine for my junky el-cheapo Chinese-grocery-store cleaver (I can't call myself an Asian unless I have one, and yes, I do use it for *EVERYTHING*), too.

1580769882249.png

:)

For my nicer stuff, I prefer to go at it manually, with my trusty old Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener set. I've had this ever since I started really getting into the knife hobby in the late 90s, and I still love it. It's gotten my knives sharp enough that it passed muster as a proper defensive knife (the instructor's cutting demo opened my eyes as to the kind of damage that a 3 to 4-inch folder could do o_O) as well as led to the amusement of a kitchen full of cops, when a knife that I sold as a user from my collection was used by one officer to demonstrate to his buddy that the latter's slash-proof gloves really weren't, by cutting off all five fingers in one swoop. 🖐

I really want to get a Wicked Edge setup, but I've been holding out. I haven't been active in the knife world since the mid-oughts, so I haven't really been tempted. Still, pictures posted by various online friends' - both of the overall look of the edges they've been able to achieve as well as what they can see under a microscope really often has me frothing at the mouth.......

Those small pocket sharpeners are great if all you have is a couple knives and they are great to throw in a backpack or pocket if you are going hiking or hunting. For the various things that need sharpening around home I have wetstones, files, an electric sharpener and a Lansky setup.

I have several, but nothing works better than paper wheels on a bench grinder. For field use I use ceramics. They work better on newer high end steels that are very resistant to wear and sharpening.
Carbon steels are easily sharpened with novaculite. An actual strop is good to have, as many edges dont need ran on a stone to hone it up.

^ How's that compare with the Wicked Edge?

I'm not sure. I don't have one of them. I just thought it was a really well made item. I have to say I have never heard of the Wicked Edge before but will look into it.

I have always sharpened my knives by hand , using EZ-Lap diamond hones and an old stone that may be as old as I am. As far back as I can remember my stone was in the kitchen drawer in the home I grew up in. I know I have been using it since I was 9 years old and I am 65 now.

Back