testtest

Leather holster

One thing I have learned is you can't really judge a holster until you actually use it. That's why I have a bunch of holsters I'll probably never use!
I think a lot of us have a box or drawer full of these and likely have a bunch of miracle gun cleaners and/or lubes. Yep, count me in. You have to ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?" Maybe next time, I should say, "Hold on a minute."

Try Safariland. My company just asked for a Level 2 or 3 holster. This one is very pricey. Some of the guys have bought some on Amazon for a lot less

Attachments

• IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 56
'm a bit apprehensive about carrying it with one in the chamber until I'm a little more comfortable. Mostly a psychological thing I believe. I have zero issues carrying my hellcat and Glock (both striker fire) but this is a new gun to me.
opplanet-galco-yaqui-paddle-holster-kimber-3-1911-browning-hi-power-kahr-pm9-yp212-2.jpg

Funny I'm not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun with no safety. ;) I guess it's what you grew up with. Picture stollen from the interweb, but I do love my Galco Yaquis.

Have a Hunter holster for my single six that has seen heavy and hard use for 40+ years. The only conditioning that it has ever seen is smoke, greases splatters from cooking, dirt, grime, sweat, pine pitch, blood, fish guts, snow, ice, sunshine, the occasional dunking in fresh and salt water, motor oil, and I don't know what all. Still as good a holster as the day I took it out of the package.

20221029_171921.jpg

I like Kramer Leather.

Every leather holster manufacturer I've ever encountered specifically recommends using any kind of conditioner or wax or oil on your leather holster.

Even though I know this is an old discussion if I had a 1911 I would put it in the holster (unloaded of course) and leave it there for a weekend to kind of work the leather in.

I personally don't do any of the things that the holster manufacturers suggests like putting my gun in a baggie to stretch out the holster or putting it in a sock to stretch out the holster because in my opinion all that does is shorten the service life of the holster.

Couple things.

I just started carrying my new 1911. The holster I bought is a leather one with a thumb strap. Everything is still tight and when I attempt to button it, the manual thumb safety will sometimes come disengaged. I can sort maneuver back to safety with the thumb strap engaged. I'm a bit apprehensive about carrying it with one in the chamber until I'm a little more comfortable. Mostly a psychological thing I believe. I have zero issues carrying my hellcat and Glock (both striker fire) but this is a new gun to me.

So my question is that thumb safety concern an issue if I carry it red? (One in the chamber, hammer to the rear) The grip safety seems mechanically sound.

My other question is also holster related. In this case, I've heard of western folks, Buffalo Bill in particular, talk about covering the inside of their holsters with wax to make drawing easier. Does anyone do this?
In the summer time I usually carry my G19 in a Kydex holster because of the lighter weight and wear inside the pants holsters.

In winter months I'll switch to leather outside the pants holsters. I sometimes will add a little bit leather conditioner you can buy at Wally World but I baby most of my gear so it stays pretty clean and wiped down. When my gear is exposed to moisture I'll let it dry out and then apply a little conditioner. If you have a good leather holster it really doesn't need much maintenance.

Over the years I've had leather straps get a little loose but not very often. Like others have written I will sometimes change the position of the strap on the holster. Other times I'll wet the holster down, wrap my unloaded firearm with plastic and go through a similar procedure of breaking in a new leather holster.

Though I still like the feel of a leather holster, I really like the retention of a well made kydex holster. My G19 Gen 5 is so comfortable in a Bravo Concealment inside or outside the pants kydex holsters.

With all that said, I would never carry my New Model Ruger Vaquero in anything but a leather holster. I wouldn't want Kurt Russell to suddenly appear dressed as Wyatt Earp and threaten to turn my head into a canoe...:)

Back