testtest

Long Gun Home Defense

This is EXACTLY why I've been getting so heavily into replica airguns in the last year. My CO2/BB Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec and M1 Carbine replicate my house guns exactly. I can practice my point-shooting in my basement anytime I want regardless of weather--and for just pennies! ;) :cool:
A pellet pistol that is similar to your carry or home defense firearm is a good idea. I bought a Beaman P17 a while back and I use it once in a while to train.

WHaT? I can't hear you!

15+ yrs Army, lots of mh-60, mh-53, mh-47, ch-47, mh-6, a few uh-60, c-130, c-141, mc-130, c-17, c-5 and some caribou rides...oh...and 1 final HH-60M MEDVAC flight on 30 June 05. Plus, ALL the bullets, All the bangers, 5 frags, 6 rpg near misses, 1 friendly fire (blue on blue) 105mm shelling, 8 Goose rnds, 5 IEDS (near misses) 6th one was a doozey. (1 that got me) ...Ya, all without ear pro... Yep...electronic ear pro was all the rage in 2005 and onward...too bad my service was before that and ended in 2008 after 3 yrs of rehab after that last Blackhawk flight. (NO regrets)

Boy Hearing aids have come leaps and bounds since then and you betcha do I wish I had the electronic muffs we have today back then. My hearing is BAD...the only plus is it is hard to understand the higher tones of woman speak let alone the bitching. When I retired, I was rated in the 11th percentile for retainability by the army (100th percentile being the best) meaning the best way for anyone to communicate with me is to yell.

CMDRS Intent = SAVE YOUR DAMN EARS!...

I have Honeywell ear pro on my dresser next to my sbr. I have a can on my Sig on the night stand.

Try to incorporate EAR PRO into your Daily life not just your bump in the night life, It really sucks when you don't know what your loved ones especially your wife and grand kids are saying to you. (My kids sucked it up... I got the gist of their words and they turned out well)

I am always carrying...my main issue Im not always around ear pro....Game changer for me...hearing aids that have noise canceling (BANG!) tech in them. Game changer for you blessed hearing non-aid needing folk...%%@$ you!

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned this a few times before, but a while back, I had the chance to try out a variety of weapons indoors in a soon to be demolished house.

The least offensive unsupressed long guns were a 16” 9mm carbine running subsonics and a .357 lever action running .38 Special—also subsonic, with the .38’s being the quieter of the two by a fair margin.

This was judged simply by experience…but those two were not unpleasant with a single layer of earpro…where a 7.5” 5.56 was almost unbearable even with double earpro (and literally blew plaster off the ceiling).
Usually sub 9 ammo is calculated with a MUCH shorter barrel than 16". Probably not sub after coming down a 16" pipe. OR on the way of slowing back down! Subs indoors would be a quieter choice IMHO.

WHaT? I can't hear you!

15+ yrs Army, lots of mh-60, mh-53, mh-47, ch-47, mh-6, a few uh-60, c-130, c-141, mc-130, c-17, c-5 and some caribou rides...oh...and 1 final HH-60M MEDVAC flight on 30 June 05. Plus, ALL the bullets, All the bangers, 5 frags, 6 rpg near misses, 1 friendly fire (blue on blue) 105mm shelling, 8 Goose rnds, 5 IEDS (near misses) 6th one was a doozey. (1 that got me) ...Ya, all without ear pro... Yep...electronic ear pro was all the rage in 2005 and onward...too bad my service was before that and ended in 2008 after 3 yrs of rehab after that last Blackhawk flight. (NO regrets)

Boy Hearing aids have come leaps and bounds since then and you betcha do I wish I had the electronic muffs we have today back then. My hearing is BAD...the only plus is it is hard to understand the higher tones of woman speak let alone the bitching. When I retired, I was rated in the 11th percentile for retainability by the army (100th percentile being the best) meaning the best way for anyone to communicate with me is to yell.

CMDRS Intent = SAVE YOUR DAMN EARS!...

I have Honeywell ear pro on my dresser next to my sbr. I have a can on my Sig on the night stand.

Try to incorporate EAR PRO into your Daily life not just your bump in the night life, It really sucks when you don't know what your loved ones especially your wife and grand kids are saying to you. (My kids sucked it up... I got the gist of their words and they turned out well)

I am always carrying...my main issue Im not always around ear pro....Game changer for me...hearing aids that have noise canceling (BANG!) tech in them. Game changer for you blessed hearing non-aid needing folk...%%@$ you!

Merry Christmas
I know a few that were in Vietnam that were in artillery (not sure what they fired), but defiantly hard of hearing :( .

Usually sub 9 ammo is calculated with a MUCH shorter barrel than 16". Probably not sub after coming down a 16" pipe. OR on the way of slowing back down! Subs indoors would be a quieter choice IMHO.
Just depends on the loading. As long as the FPS doesn't exceed supersonic speed the bullet will retain it's subsonic effect. I have some subsonic ammo that functions like it should in both rifles and pistols and I have some that will only stay subsonic in pistols.

I’ve mentioned this a few times before, but a while back, I had the chance to try out a variety of weapons indoors in a soon to be demolished house.

The least offensive unsupressed long guns were a 16” 9mm carbine running subsonics and a .357 lever action running .38 Special—also subsonic, with the .38’s being the quieter of the two by a fair margin.

This was judged simply by experience…but those two were not unpleasant with a single layer of earpro…where a 7.5” 5.56 was almost unbearable even with double earpro (and literally blew plaster off the ceiling).
The concussive blast of a 5.56 short barreled pistol shot in a confined space can also be slightly disorienting depending on how close to a barrier you are in terms of blast deflection.

The concussive blast of a 5.56 short barreled pistol shot in a confined space can also be slightly disorienting depending on how close to a barrier you are in terms of blast deflection.
I don’t recall what muzzle device that shorty had on it, but I think it was some type of forward diverter…it was fired in a 10’ or so hallway.

One of the people there with me said it felt like a flash bang…it was VERY disorienting, even on the giving end.

I use a 44mag lever action and currently a 357Sig for home defense. Gus (98lb GS) is our first line. The wife and I have Walker electronic muffs in the safe zone. I would not sacrifice life/safety for hearing but given the opportunity we will both be in the Walkers. I have been wearing protection hunting for so long I don't remember when I started but I do remember it started from the deer blind.

I don't use my AR for home defense - too much overpenetration. I use an old Mossberg 500 loaded with a bean bag round up first and four 00 buck loads after that if they don't get the hint...
kkCSBeI_d[1].jpg

I don't use my AR for home defense - too much overpenetration. I use an old Mossberg 500 loaded with a bean bag round up first and four 00 buck loads after that if they don't get the hint...
View attachment 42231
A .223 will penetrate a lot less walls than OO…

Particularly if you load with a thin-jacketed varmint round like a V-Max or a NBT.

Even M193 will usually penetrate less walls than OO.

As for bean bags…just…no.

Either use effective lethal force (if you didn’t know it, those bean bags ARE lethal force in the eyes if the law) or don’t use it at all. If someone is doing something so extreme that you feel you need to use lethal force…why would you want something that may not effectively stop your assailant?

That mindset is utterly foreign to me.

A .223 will penetrate a lot less walls than OO…

Particularly if you load with a thin-jacketed varmint round like a V-Max or a NBT.

Even M193 will usually penetrate less walls than OO.

As for bean bags…just…no.

Either use effective lethal force (if you didn’t know it, those bean bags ARE lethal force in the eyes if the law) or don’t use it at all. If someone is doing something so extreme that you feel you need to use lethal force…why would you want something that may not effectively stop your assailant?

That mindset is utterly foreign to me.
I completely agree, although I'll admit to favoring a shotgun in this role as well. That's not to say that I don't have options, including 5.56 readily available, but if it comes down to it I'm probably grabbing a shotgun. It won't be loaded with bean bags though.

Hey folks, I am brand new here and enjoying reading through all of the posts, articles and information. I am curious about this post... It was about long gun home defense I think, then turned to Ear Pro and hearing loss, or something. I may not understand what this si all about but I do know, if I wake up at 2am hearing breaking glass downstairs, I will be running downstairs naked with my AR12 and zero ear pro because that's how immediate fight or flight home defense situations work. Even given 5 minutes to get dressed and ready for action I would leave out ear pro because I need to hear the creepers... defending the fam is more important than any other consideration.

Hey folks, I am brand new here and enjoying reading through all of the posts, articles and information. I am curious about this post... It was about long gun home defense I think, then turned to Ear Pro and hearing loss, or something. I may not understand what this si all about but I do know, if I wake up at 2am hearing breaking glass downstairs, I will be running downstairs naked with my AR12 and zero ear pro because that's how immediate fight or flight home defense situations work. Even given 5 minutes to get dressed and ready for action I would leave out ear pro because I need to hear the creepers... defending the fam is more important than any other consideration.

Welcome to the forum Michael. You'll notice we hi-jack our own threads around here. A lot.

I agree with you by the way. Even Electronic muffs are not something I am going to be thinking about during a home invasion scenario.

Wise of you to consider this. Firing almost any caliber capable of inflicting damage indoors will cause hearing loss. Lots of ear-pro offers protection AND amplified ambient hearing simultaneously, but getting that ear-pro on when needed is the issue. I've struggled with this issue for many years. I have not read/heard a good solution.

Welcome in.

Wise of you to consider this. Firing almost any caliber capable of inflicting damage indoors will cause hearing loss. Lots of ear-pro offers protection AND amplified ambient hearing simultaneously, but getting that ear-pro on when needed is the issue. I've struggled with this issue for many years. I have not read/heard a good solution.

Welcome in.

I've fired shotguns and ARs indoors, sans Earpro. Yes it's loud. Yes it's probably damaging and no I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. I can tell you that auditory occlusion will keep you from noticing in the heat of the moment and considering the likelihood of a home invasion scenario is pretty slim, I don't think it's anything you should be too concerned about really. I stood in front of a giant walls of guitar and bass amplifiers for a great many years before anyone ever thought about using ear protection. No my hearing isn't top notch, but I ain't deaf either. Again, I am not suggesting it isn't something to be concerned with, but I am suggesting that trying to add it to a monstrously stressful situation like a middle of the night home invasion is not that great of an idea.

Back