testtest

Looking for an EDC

My guess is all those guns are yours.

Doooooood! I wish! :ROFLMAO:

Actually, you're right - but they're actually all just XDms. 😅

I really only have few guns. 11 handguns, including the four copies of my XDms, a deep-carry snubbie and sub-compact that round out my true defensive guns, and two .22 LR trainers plus a .22 WMR fun gun. Of the 10 long-guns I own, again it mostly consists of training:defensive copies (ARs and shotguns, at a pair each, plus a backup and hobby-AR for class, that's already six accounted for), plus .22 LR trainers. I'm by no means a collector, and what little I have is pretty plain-Jane and boring...not to mention completely repetitive! 😩

The last gun I bought (included in the above count) was the gift to my daughter back in 2019, for her 13th birthday (she's Jewish, so that's coming-of-age). Most of my yearly budget goes to ammo and training.....

Are you right handed or a darned lefty? - Am kidding on lefties.

Actually, I think that's a very astute observation - and I'm embarrassed to think that I'd forgotten completely about it!

With the late proliferation of service-grade handguns that offer ambidextrous control surfaces, shooter handedness has become less and less of an issue, but there are still plenty of legacy designs out there that are very, very heavily biased towards right-handers.

While there are plenty of work-arounds and techniques that can circumvent such issues, handguns with specific designs -such as the XD-series' grip safety- can make for potential issues, particularly where it comes to single-handed weapons manipulations.

Case-in-point, at the time I joined the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums when I first started shooting, there was another shooter there that I had really looked up to due to his insightful posts and his having trained at some of Ohio's (and the nation's) most highly respected training schools, like Tactical Defense Institute (TDI). At the time, he spoke highly of his XD, which of-course made me feel very good about my choice of the XDm. Unfortunately, it was during one of these higher-level classes where he discovered that, using his left hand, he could not effectively/reliably perform single-handed manipulations such as the reduction of a double-feed (where, oftentimes, locking back the slide can take sufficient pressure off the magazine so as to allow for easier extraction of not only the jammed cartridges, but also the magazine).

This shooter then went to the S&W M&P, but he continually lamented the fact in his hands, he just was never as accurate as he was with his XD. I, too, experienced this natural disparity when I initially auditioned the XDm versus a Glock 17 versus a M&P 9 Pro, virtually back-to-back (the G17 was on a previous range session), as I looked for my first defensive firearm: I loved the lines of the M&P, but I just wasn't as consistent with it.... I ended up taking home what I'd considered then to be the ugly-duckling gun out of the three, the XDm - a decision which I do -NOT- regret, even to this day. :)

But back to @BobM 's point - I still see this difficulty in training classes where shooters are asked to perform single-handed manipulations, particularly of the first-timers. Sometimes, be they right or left-handed, when they are asked to perform single-handed manipulations with their support hand only, they find that they can't do it (or simply cannot do it well) on the gun that they came into the class with, but that problem went away completely when they tried the same with a different gun.

Given that the point of an EDC firearm is ostensibly to defend the life of the end-user and that in such dire circumstances injury to one hand or the other is of high probability, I really do think that this is something that's worth considering.

Hey, XDman and everyone, I'm Brian, and this is my first post here on the forum. I'm looking for an EDC/CCW. Which Springfield would you all suggest?
Myself, I carry a CZ'83 in 9mm Makarov. Trigger is superb and the thing is accurate while being quite concealable. Makarov today is getting expensive, but it is more a 9mmLite round than a .380 (a bit more punch). Using Wolf or Fiocci for ammo Wolf FMJ, Fiocci Hp, both around 95 gr. Decent pistol and when I got it the 9mm Mak was dirt cheap...which it isn't any more. All this is in service of the fact I have a bit of arthritis and occasionally heavy recoil hurts like H*ll. For when my wrists don't ache, I use Springfield's 1911 officer's model in .45ACP. Relatively soft shooting and like most Springfield stuff, very accurate. Don't carry it that much because of size. Which do I prefer? Actually, the CZ. It's smaller and weighs less and doesn't do me as much hurt when I send fifty or so rounds downrange in practice. My recommendation is something in 9mm Luger: it's the most common round these days and has a proven track record. The pitstol? Springfieldd 9mm XD is the best and you get a choice of barrel lengths. They don't make bad stuff.
HOWEVER: Go to a range and rent pistols and find out which ones work best for you. Then buy one of them. Don't buy THEN try! That can be expensive and painful as well as turning you off to firearms.

@ 8:12am today ..... Hey, XDman and everyone, I'm Brian, and this is my first post here on the forum. I'm looking for an EDC/CCW. Which Springfield would you all suggest?
@ 9:30am today ..... getting an XD a week from Wednesday.
I'm a little confused Brian. At 8:12am this morning, you were asking for recommendations on a SA EDC.

Then at 9:30am, just over an hour later, you seem to have decided. Was the info here really that good, or did I miss something? LOL?

Happy that it came that easy for you, but just be sure it's the right decision. (y)(y)(y)

I'm a little confused Brian. At 8:12am this morning, you were asking for recommendations on a SA EDC.

Then at 9:30am, just over an hour later, you seem to have decided. Was the info here really that good, or did I miss something? LOL?

Happy that it came that easy for you, but just be sure it's the right decision. (y)(y)(y)
the last time i made that quick a decision, saying, "i do"...i was "done"......

Actually, I think that's a very astute observation - and I'm embarrassed to think that I'd forgotten completely about it!

With the late proliferation of service-grade handguns that offer ambidextrous control surfaces, shooter handedness has become less and less of an issue, but there are still plenty of legacy designs out there that are very, very heavily biased towards right-handers. " ........................................... "
Being a life long lefty, I have almost always owned right handed firearms. First because there were actually so few offered in a left hand version, second because over time I had used so many of the right handed versions, that whenever I operated a left hand version, it felt odd and certainly unpracticed.

So, when the reversible mag release buttons first showed up on some of the name brand semi's, I really enjoyed that opportunity. And I truly liked the classic long gun stocks without the big, ugly cheek piece on the left side of the stock to mess up the clean lines of a nice rifle and/or shotgun. Ambidextrous safeties were a really nice idea. But I literally hated the advent of those danged left handed triggers ................... LOL!

Yeh, I'm just funnin' y'all about the left handed trigger, but I really am left handed. (y)

(y)(y)

Is there a local instructor or school that offers a novice/beginner-level class that gives the students a wide-ranging exposure to different modern defensive handguns, @Brian1965 ?

If you have this type of training class/school in your area, it would be very much worth your while to enroll in one, at this juncture in your shooting/concealed-carry path. :)

For example one local school - the one that I try to send my just-starting-off friends to - brings several large Pelican cases full of sample firearms to their classes that are designed for beginning shooters. They also offer these guns as very reasonably priced rentals for use with any of their tiered training classes thereafter, for shooters who want to "try before they buy." These pictures were taken off their Facebook page (Commence FireARMS Training, Cleveland, Ohio - and no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them nor stand to benefit in any way from this recommendation :) )......

View attachment 23385View attachment 23386

^ Same table, from one end to the other. And as you can see, it's quality guns - Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Walther, Ruger, etc. This is c.2011, and I know (from having taken other classes with them) that they've added more in the intervening years.

Why is it important to get your hands on these guns?

^ Because as @Sld1959 , @Keystone19250 , and @straydoglogic noted, due to natural variances in our anatomy and how that "fits" various parameters of the firearm's physical construct and design, there will naturally be guns that we each shooter "better" or "worse," naturally, without having put any thought or even skill into the equation.

While it is absolutely true that the distillation of shooting skills is the art of an undisturbed sight package through the break of the trigger, it's worth noting that even without aiming at all, at the typically short distances involved in civilian defensive shootings, "aiming" in the traditional sights-on-target sense is something that is likely as *not* being performed by most such shooters. With this in-mind, getting yourself as high on the power curve as you can, particularly if this gun is your first gun (and especially so if it going to be your only gun - be it for a while or even permanently), the ability to shoot with it effectively, instinctively, is something to be paid mind to.

Similarly, as many above have mentioned, assuring that you are able to effectively manipulate (i.e. operate the safety mechanism[ s] of, easily reach the critical operating controls, and that you are able to effectively reload the firearm and perhaps even be able to effectively remediate stoppages) the firearm will be important, too. In most cases, particularly with newer firearms owners, having someone who is able to take you through these considerations - like a vetted instructor or a trusted school - can help tremendously.

If you can get your hands on your perspective handguns, that's half the battle, right there. Much like buying a car blind versus after having sat in one on the showroom floor or at a car-show, there's so much that a hands-on experience will be able to put into perspective for you that any level of academic thinking or blissful daydreaming simply will not. And similar to test-driving that vehicle, if you can get out to the range to shoot the guns, that can *really* either help you settle your decision - or make you reconsider it completely. Just like that test-drive, a live-fire session will show you how the gun behaves dynamically in your hands...things that may not be obvious to you just upon handling the gun may immediately assert themselves, as you're shooting. And just like how a more experienced driver may be able to determine what he/she may like more or less about the car from just sitting in it, stationary, while less experienced drivers may need some road-time before they can figure out the car's shortcomings, handing a gun versus shooting it can do the same, too.

Finally, in terms of every day carry, @HayesGreener and @youngolddude 's posts contain some excellent wisdom that's won through hard experience.

Here, prepare to be flexible, and be willing to listen to both your body as well as the recommendations of others, so that you can allow your gear (and even your selection of weapons) to naturally evolve as your needs change and/or as you find better alternatives. @BassCliff , who is a member here, is a dedicated enthusiast who started off his journey by - get this! - obtaining his CALIFORNIA o_O CCW - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/basscliffs-ca-ccw-adventures-carry-or-bust-success.451457/

As they say, that ain't hay.

And soon thereafter, he started a still-ongoing thread about his journey into the legal concealed-carry lifestyle -

^ Understand that as you go, you'll likely need or want to make changes, too. Don't let your choices today blind you -or, conversely- marry you to any piece of gear or doctrine. Be ready to evolve and improve, because, brother, we -ALL- did, and have continued to do so since our first days of EDC, too, be that 10 days, 10 weeks, 10 months, or 10 years. :)
This is a great idea because then you will shoot a Sig P365 and realize that it is the One Gun to Rule Them All.

This is a great idea because then you will shoot a Sig P365 and realize that it is the One Gun to Rule Them All.

I mean, these really are pretty cool.......

^ If I had a back yard that'd support this, I definitely would. :geek:

I mean, these really are pretty cool.......

^ If I had a back yard that'd support this, I definitely would. :geek:
Holy Cow, that’s awesome.

@Brian1965 I am a SA fan, love my RO 1911, my CCW is the EMP4 and I have been very pleased. Shoots accurately, love the bull barrel, keeps recoil down. It is a bit heavy for EDC but I have upgraded to a little bit better belt and that made wall the difference for me. Good luck on your decision. Finding a range that has rentals is also a good option prior to purchase if you have one available to you.

Wow! He who hesitates is lost, I guess. I have been busy today and just now (5:00 p.m. EST) logged onto the forum. Brian asked about an EDC and has already decided. That was quick.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Brian! Since you have alread made up your mind, I will leave it at that. :)

Being a life long lefty, I have almost always owned right handed firearms. First because there were actually so few offered in a left hand version, second because over time I had used so many of the right handed versions, that whenever I operated a left hand version, it felt odd and certainly unpracticed.

So, when the reversible mag release buttons first showed up on some of the name brand semi's, I really enjoyed that opportunity. And I truly liked the classic long gun stocks without the big, ugly cheek piece on the left side of the stock to mess up the clean lines of a nice rifle and/or shotgun. Ambidextrous safeties were a really nice idea. But I literally hated the advent of those danged left handed triggers ................... LOL!

Yeh, I'm just funnin' y'all about the left handed trigger, but I really am left handed. (y)

(y)(y)
back in my garage days, i had a few younger guys as my helpers. one at a time of course.

well, i had a new smart aleck Snap-On toolman, and he made a joke, one of my new guys thought was for real.

the Snap-On guy said he had a special sale on left handed screw drivers, this was the new "posi-drive" screws that were coming into play in automotive, so my newbie bought them.

i told the salesman, he was done at my place, and i do know how to call corporate.

he refunded the new guys money, let him keep the screw driver set, and gave him a punch and chisel set, no charge as well....

i'd say about 4 to 6 months later, that Snap-On guy was gone, but not by my means.......

it's hard being a Snap-On tool dealer when there are like 4,000 others in the same state.

Mirroring some of the posts from earlier, carry what you're comfortable shooting and what you can shoot accurately. I recently made about a $750 screw up by thinking the Glock 43X was going to be the end all be all of any EDC handgun I'd ever EDC'd...lol. I set it up with night sights, bought four of the Shield Arms G2 15 round mags, a very nice IWB carry holster and some Talon grips...............then I took it to the range and cut the holy hell out of the left side webbing of my hand with slide bite. I put the cart before the horse thinking I would be able to shoot the 43X as well as I have any other Glock I've ever owned. Turns out my Sasquatch sized hands are way too large and there's just not enough real estate on the 43X for me to get a good grip no matter how I hold it......so, find something your accurate with and is comfortable to shoot, lesson learned on my part, something I've been shooting long enough where I ought to have known better..lol

back in my garage days, i had a few younger guys as my helpers. one at a time of course.

well, i had a new smart aleck Snap-On toolman, and he made a joke, one of my new guys thought was for real.

the Snap-On guy said he had a special sale on left handed screw drivers, this was the new "posi-drive" screws that were coming into play in automotive, so my newbie bought them.

i told the salesman, he was done at my place, and i do know how to call corporate.

he refunded the new guys money, let him keep the screw driver set, and gave him a punch and chisel set, no charge as well....

i'd say about 4 to 6 months later, that Snap-On guy was gone, but not by my means.......

it's hard being a Snap-On tool dealer when there are like 4,000 others in the same state.

Good on ya' son .... those of us old enough to have seen and maybe even been had by some of the old jokes are often called on to guide the newer, younger less experienced ones. That employee will likely remember you forever.

To be honest, I love a good 'lefty' joke as much as anyone and have probably been caught up in them as much as any, as long as no one is hurt...... financially or otherwise. (y)(y)(y)

@ghosttwofive sooo does that mean there is a 43x with holster and gear going cheap for the holidays? 😂😂
J/K hope you can find a use/person for that. I have had the same trial and error type of thing, shoot it before you buy it is always good advice, when you can. Not that I mind having a few others/extras laying around in the safe, but it can get pricey, especially if you buy the holster and extras.

Back