testtest

Looking to buy 1911 in 10mm

Well soo been a few weeks, so I'm leaning hard the Kimber Rapide way. They are 70's design and just like my original Kimber custom .45 made in Clackamas Or. My local firearm dealer had reminded me that they are in the process of moving to Alabama so that is why nothing is being sent or made at the moment. Lot of my local gun shops do have orders for the Rapide in the Kimpro black finish.
So I guess I'm just waiting for them. My other options are GunBroker which I've not done and have great hesitations about anyhow.
Just an update 😉

Didn't Kimber move from Clackamas to Yonkers, N.Y many years ago?
Yes they were originally from Clackamas Oregon. My first Kimber Custom was bought when they first came on the market in the 90's. My understanding is the CNC company originally making frames and slides for their 1911's was in Yonkers NY. Kimber bought the company and moved to Yonkers. Unfortunately with the hostile to firearms political climate on the east coast many are moving to more friendly states. Kimber is one of them and chose Alabama.

I've fallen in love with the 10mm cartridge. I'd love to have a 1911 in 10mm. Looking at Springfield all I see are two tone, I'm not a fan, everything else seems discontinued. I looked at some Kimber 1911's, I like the black ice. I'm not however "in love" with it. I do not want the front rail so that seems to limit to amount out there. What i did like about the Kimber is it comes with Truglo TFX-Pro sights. These are something I would add to the 1911 I buy. The ability to use a optical sight would be a plus. I'd rather have an all blued/black model. I'm not opposed to a used firearm, BUT if price between new and used is only a few dollars I'm new all the way as I know how I treat my firearms.

What do you all have to say?
I say fantastic. The 1911 is a great platform and there are good offerings out there as the 10MM has made a huge come back. I don’t have a 1911 in 10MM ,but I did purchase one recently. The Sig P320 X10 was what I have and is my EDC for a number of reasons. Very good shooter and provides superior fire power with a wide range of ammo options. I hope you find what you are looking.

How difficult is it to convert a 1911 .45ACP to 10mm?
Does it required a ramped barrel and frame with the ramp cut? Or can the .45ACP frame ramp accommodate the same length 10mm cartridge?

But that is an option worth exploring, if its practical and parts are available to do it, get a 1911 you like and convert it to 10mm.

Of course converting a new pistol to a different caliber, voids any warranty support if it doesn't work right, so that may factor into that decision for some.

Much higher pressures using full power 10mm than .45ACP. I'd prefer to stick a gun that is truly built for the caliber.
There’s really no difference between a 10mm and .45 1911 structurally speaking…they are both built as strong as the other.

Barrel, magazine, heavier spring, and where the extractor is tuned are the major differences—maybe a different ejector.

But the 10mm 1911 isn’t built any “tougher”.

There’s really no difference between a 10mm and .45 1911 structurally speaking…they are both built as strong as the other.

Barrel, magazine, heavier spring, and where the extractor is tuned are the major differences—maybe a different ejector.

Depends on what manufacturer you're talking about - some do beef up the frames as well. But yes, at a minimum the parts you are talking about.

How difficult is it to convert a 1911 .45ACP to 10mm?
Does it required a ramped barrel and frame with the ramp cut? Or can the .45ACP frame ramp accommodate the same length 10mm cartridge?

But that is an option worth exploring, if its practical and parts are available to do it, get a 1911 you like and convert it to 10mm.

Ramped barrel conversion would be easiest, I think.

You’d probably need to tune/tension the extractor for the smaller diameter cartridge rim, as well as heavier recoil spring.

Really, it would be easiest to just have a complete slide in 10mm and swap slides. I’ve done that with Glock 21’s and then bought a Lone Wolf 10mm slide set up for it.

My emphasis added, I forgot those elements, and now you are into the realm of tuning to get it to work right, which rules it out for some, that want a gun working perfect out of the box.

I was thinking, it might just be a drop in barrel and magazine swap, and you're running. Different recoil, thus different spring, and extractor will be different.

Now I'm wondering with the difference in the case diameter
10mm-vs-45acp-2.jpg

Do you need a new slide with a repositioned extractor and opposite tensioning side on the breech face?

Ramped barrel conversion would be easiest, I think.

You’d probably need to tune/tension the extractor for the smaller diameter cartridge rim, as well as heavier recoil spring.

Really, it would be easiest to just have a complete slide in 10mm and swap slides. I’ve done that with Glock 21’s and then bought a Lone Wolf 10mm slide set up for it.
You answered my additional questions before I finished posting it....

My emphasis added, I forgot those elements, and now you are into the realm of tuning to get it to work right, which rules it out for some, that want a gun working perfect out of the box.

I was thinking, it might just be a drop in barrel and magazine swap, and you're running. Different recoil, thus different spring, and extractor will be different.

Now I'm wondering with the difference in the case diameter
10mm-vs-45acp-2.jpg

Do you need a new slide with a repositioned extractor and opposite tensioning side on the breech face?

It depends on who you talk to.

There are some folks who swear they can just go from one to the other with no problems; however (and, to be transparent, this was with a Glock and not a 1911) when I first tried converting my G21 to 10mm, all I did was buy a barrel and recoil assembly…and it didn’t run well all all. More than a few extraction issues. But with a 10mm slide? It ran fine.

Given, you can’t tune an extractor on a Glock like you can on a 1911, so…

Maybe?

Found one. Guy who I left my number with called today. He had just received a Kimber Rapide 10mm. Now to make the 75 mile drive this weekend and see what he'll give me for my trade in. I'll be trading in a brand new never shot XD-M elite .45 3.8" compact.

This is internet picture of the same Kimber not the actual firearm I'm going to see.
Screenshot_20221115-174246.png

Last edited:
Rock Island makes several 10mm 1911 that I've read nothing but raves about. Some here lift their noses at firearms made outside the US though....www.armscor.com...(regardless of many SA offerings are now off-shore).

I do not own one, but have ingested a multitude of positive information about them. I have the Ronin in 10mm. All good except the front sight.
All my last 1911 buys have been RIAs.

They won't win any beauty contests but they're solid, especially for the price.

Back