testtest

Loose Grips

Seawolf

Operator
I have a new 1911 Garrison with about 150 rounds put through it. Today while at the range, I noticed that the grips on both sides were loose. I could wiggle them both sideways and up and down. Got the range gunsmith to tighten them for me as I don't have a driver for that type of fastener.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with a new gun? Thoughts?

I have a new 1911 Garrison with about 150 rounds put through it. Today while at the range, I noticed that the grips on both sides were loose. I could wiggle them both sideways and up and down. Got the range gunsmith to tighten them for me as I don't have a driver for that type of fastener.

it HAS happened to me, just not that particular gun.

as you are into this sport, it would be to your benefit to maybe seek out gunsmithing tools, that will not break your bank account.

simple screw drivers sets (specifically for guns, not carpentry), needle nose pliers, etc. Brownell's sells great kits, as does MidwayUSA, for two company's i have done business with.

also, Locktite BLUE to keep those screws from loosening up.

one set, as an example

It happens more then you think, some will find tiny O-rings and place them under the grip screws which will help this issue
This.

DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON GRIP SCREWS.

You WILL regret it.

Get o-rings; a well-stocked hardware store will likely have them, or you can order them online.

This.

You WILL regret it.

Get o-rings; a well-stocked hardware store will likely have them, or you can order them online.

I was going to suggest not using Loc-Tite as well.

Seawolf, here is the tool you need - a must-have for a 1911 shooter’s range bag or backpack… $40, on Amazon… it has all the right drivers ( I’m a Garrison owner, too), a bushing wrench that I don’t like very much cause I get concerned about marring but DOES work fine, a pin punch and an angle tool for general stuff ( helps with extractor removal for one, just be careful).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFXIWH6/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_i_Z6DJ4ADEXNHATAW6Y0SV

Good luck & happy shooting !

As mentioned, any hardware store that is part of a regional or national chain (Ace, True Value, Hardware Hank, etc.) stocks o-rings in the hardware section where they keep nuts and bolts. They will be in drawers with a drawing on the front you can read that shows pics of what's inside the drawer. Most o-rings in these assortment kits are buna/nitrile rubber and work perfectly for this application. Many don't know, but the o-ring used in an AR-15's BCG that costs $5 at the gun shop can be had from your local hardware store for $.20ea...but it won't come in BCM/DD/MI/Bushmaster packaging.

While you are there you can buy slotted screws for your grips so you don't need a torx tool later on...I've heard Fuds like me prefer slotted screws on their grips:ROFLMAO:

This.

You WILL regret it.

i got the Blue Loctite idea from a 1911 website. can't recall who it was however. but not one of those 2 minute You Tube experts, that's for sure.

i got the Blue Loctite idea from a 1911 website. can't recall who it was however. but not one of those 2 minute You Tube experts, that's for sure.
People on the internet like to recommend blue Loc-Tite for everything. And sure enough if you’re going to use Loc-Tite, blue or weaker is better since it is easier to mitigate.

My personal opinion (based on conversations with gunsmiths as well as a Boeing engineer) is to never use Loc-Tite or any threadlocker on firearms or optics. With good screws properly threaded and proper pitch, torqued to specs, clean and dry, you don’t need it. The engineer basically told me that if you have to use threadlocker then the screws or the steel is junk and/or not properly threaded.

People on the internet like to recommend blue Loc-Tite for everything. And sure enough if you’re going to use Loc-Tite, blue or weaker is better since it is easier to mitigate.

My personal opinion (based on conversations with gunsmiths as well as a Boeing engineer) is to never use Loc-Tite or any threadlocker on firearms or optics. With good screws properly threaded and proper pitch, torqued to specs, clean and dry, you don’t need it. The engineer basically told me that if you have to use threadlocker then the screws or the steel is junk and/or not properly threaded.
thanks, in the future, i will try my best to refrain from saying Loctite, of any color, for guns/sights.

if i could recall the person who recommended it, i'd broadcast his name, all i can recall is that it was not one of those 30 second You Tube hero's.

when i started watching the You Tube video's from day one, when i got started, it was really easy to spot the hacks, and move on to another person that has more savvy and experience, to trust, and go to for information.

i do recall one You Tube hero, that as he was explaining something, all he could say was, "i ain't too sure what this does"....

people like that should not even be allowed to post videos, but i am not sure if there is any "policing" of morons on you tube.

thanks, in the future, i will try my best to refrain from saying Loctite, of any color, for guns/sights.

if i could recall the person who recommended it, i'd broadcast his name, all i can recall is that it was not one of those 30 second You Tube hero's.

when i started watching the You Tube video's from day one, when i got started, it was really easy to spot the hacks, and move on to another person that has more savvy and experience, to trust, and go to for information.

i do recall one You Tube hero, that as he was explaining something, all he could say was, "i ain't too sure what this does"....

people like that should not even be allowed to post videos, but i am not sure if there is any "policing" of morons on you tube.
It wasn’t that nutty Hiccup45 was it ?
The one that has all the targets across the wooded gully of his backyard (or so it looks to me) ?

As I said, lots of people, even here, prescribe blue Loctite. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re hacks. A whole lot of people, including gunsmiths, use it on optic mounts.

Back