testtest

M1A/M14 - Will the Walnut Stock of the .308 Win version fit the 6.5 CR version of the M1A?

Apologies if this has been asked before;

I want a M1A Standard Issue, Walnut Stock, looking as much as possible as the original M14. Problem is I live in Maryland that has banned the M1A as an Assault Weapon. (No argument from me, the law is utterly ridiculous and full of contradictions and totally devoid of logic).

But, the M1A chambered 6.5 CR is legal in Maryland, just like the AR-15 is banned, except if you chamber it in anything but .223/5.56 or if you have 4 oz of extra metal on the barrel chambered in .223/5.56.

So the MD State Police website specifically states the M1A Loaded Creedmoore is NOT banned. But it only comes with a composite stock and stainless barrel. Cerakote can solve the silvery barrel. A Complete Walnut stock for the M1A is sold.

But what worries me, does it fit? Since the 6.5 CR version isn't offered with a Walnut stock, that worries me it is for a reason, like there is something different with it that won't allow it to fit. Yet, I can't imagine what that would be, pretty sure the only thing different is the barrel, and I can't imagine why the external dimension would have to be different for that. Nor does it look like the composite stocks on the .308 Win version are any different than the 6.5 CR, but don't have part numbers to compare.

Can anyone confirm that the Walnut Stock that you can purchase for the M1A (that says its for the .308 Win) will fit the 6.5 CR version?

Apologies if this has been asked before;

I want a M1A Standard Issue, Walnut Stock, looking as much as possible as the original M14. Problem is I live in Maryland that has banned the M1A as an Assault Weapon. (No argument from me, the law is utterly ridiculous and full of contradictions and totally devoid of logic).

But, the M1A chambered 6.5 CR is legal in Maryland, just like the AR-15 is banned, except if you chamber it in anything but .223/5.56 or if you have 4 oz of extra metal on the barrel chambered in .223/5.56.

So the MD State Police website specifically states the M1A Loaded Creedmoore is NOT banned. But it only comes with a composite stock and stainless barrel. Cerakote can solve the silvery barrel. A Complete Walnut stock for the M1A is sold.

But what worries me, does it fit? Since the 6.5 CR version isn't offered with a Walnut stock, that worries me it is for a reason, like there is something different with it that won't allow it to fit. Yet, I can't imagine what that would be, pretty sure the only thing different is the barrel, and I can't imagine why the external dimension would have to be different for that. Nor does it look like the composite stocks on the .308 Win version are any different than the 6.5 CR, but don't have part numbers to compare.

Can anyone confirm that the Walnut Stock that you can purchase for the M1A (that says its for the .308 Win) will fit the 6.5 CR version?
Yes it will fit without any issues, the only difference between the two actions is the caliber.

Yes it will fit without any issues, the only difference between the two actions is the caliber.
Thanks,

Yea, looking at a comparison of the two cartridges the base/butt end appears to be identical, and thus they likely need no change even in the bolt or receiver, just the barrel and its chamber.

So, Springfield must have decided not to offer the 6.5 CR version with a Walnut Stock.

I just purchased a loaded M1A in black composite and I wanted the walnut stock. LRB.com has stocks and hand guards, along with all the hardware you can order pre-installed. I'm actually finishing my stock fitting today. Requires a dremel tool to remove significant wood from the hand guard (if you choose the stock with a walnut handguard). The loaded barrel and chamber area touch the wood because they are larger than the standard model, thus you need to sand off quite a bit of material for a proper fit (I think the standard model still requires some sanding to remove material now that I think of it). Then re-finish the inside of the hand guard...I ordered and took delivery of the stock about 5 days later. Looks awesome (although darker stain than many M1 stocks around...but I like it).

If you go this route, be deliberate with the wood handguard...easy to break, gouge and scratch. Get the snap-ring tool for removing the hand guard rear clip from Midway or Brownells. Use sanding drums for the dremel work, not a router bit. Be careful with the dremel...they jump on you very easily and can mar the finish.

Getting excited just thinking about it...might go start my project earlier than expected today.

Yea, I want to go with the Fiberglass Handguard, although I think the Springfield "Composite" handguard is plastic and not the authentic USGI fiberglass. I want it to look like the U.S. Service rifle.

That is why I'll look into Cerokating the barrel to the black color that closest matches bluing. Elite Series "Midnight" is suppose to be that. The example photos of a 1911 done in that color looks like a brand new high quality bluing job.

Not to bust on the wood handguard, I'm sure your setup is attractive.

Freaking Maryland, I have to go through all this instead of just getting the M1A standard issue I want, because of some emotionally driven non-sense law. Oh yea, the same rifle in 6.5 CR makes it totally different.:rolleyes: AR-15 and any copy is completely banned, except if its another caliper than .223/5.56, yep that 7.62 AR-15 must be less deadly than the 5.56. :rolleyes: Oh, but if its an HBAR then its just another Rifle, not to look a gift horse in the mouth since Marylander's can still have their AR-15's, but what sense does that make? An extra 4 oz of metal on the barrel makes it an entirely different rifle.o_O

Thanks for the warning on sanding, not much experience with wood stocks, but my understanding, the tighter the better, so having to do a little filing and sanding will make for a better Rifle in the long run. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

I don't think you can blue stainless steel, I'd be surprised if you can, please let me know if I'm wrong on that as well.

Yah, the law is totally whack in Marxland. You can have a Polytech in 7.62 but not a SA M1A. Thus is the murder rate in Baltimore kept low. :rolleyes::LOL:
Yep, and the RINO Governor (apologies for overt politic comment) is demagoguing about how someone can transfer a rifle to a family member without the state doing a background check, and implying this is somehow behind all the violence in Baltimore.:rolleyes: Naw, it couldn't be a total failure of policy and law enforcement by the city and state officials, its got to be some grandfather out in the country giving his grandson his rifle that is behind all the violence.

But Clinton banned the importation of Polytech's in the 90's by executive order, so your choice is a very old used Chinese M14 copy, that although some rave about a few parts being up to snuff, the majority of the parts were below par, and unless the owner replaced half the rifle with better parts, the below par parts then chewed up the few good parts leaving it a total crap rifle in short order.

Fantastic M14 rifles

POLY_M-14S.jpg

Yea, I want to go with the Fiberglass Handguard, although I think the Springfield "Composite" handguard is plastic and not the authentic USGI fiberglass. I want it to look like the U.S. Service rifle.

That is why I'll look into Cerokating the barrel to the black color that closest matches bluing. Elite Series "Midnight" is suppose to be that. The example photos of a 1911 done in that color looks like a brand new high quality bluing job.

Not to bust on the wood handguard, I'm sure your setup is attractive.

Freaking Maryland, I have to go through all this instead of just getting the M1A standard issue I want, because of some emotionally driven non-sense law. Oh yea, the same rifle in 6.5 CR makes it totally different.:rolleyes: AR-15 and any copy is completely banned, except if its another caliper than .223/5.56, yep that 7.62 AR-15 must be less deadly than the 5.56. :rolleyes: Oh, but if its an HBAR then its just another Rifle, not to look a gift horse in the mouth since Marylander's can still have their AR-15's, but what sense does that make? An extra 4 oz of metal on the barrel makes it an entirely different rifle.o_O

Thanks for the warning on sanding, not much experience with wood stocks, but my understanding, the tighter the better, so having to do a little filing and sanding will make for a better Rifle in the long run. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

I don't think you can blue stainless steel, I'd be surprised if you can, please let me know if I'm wrong on that as well.
The handguard that came on my M1A is quite heavy for plastic or composite or fiberglass....I would have no qualms about using it, other than I prefer the look of the walnut and that's the original design. The guard that came on the rifle is black and looks pretty good on the dark stock from LRB. Wood hand guards should not be "tight" on the barrel or chamber, otherwise a fire might soon to occur. The clip holds it in place well enough during operation....it is not loose.

The handguard that came on my M1A is quite heavy for plastic or composite or fiberglass....I would have no qualms about using it, other than I prefer the look of the walnut and that's the original design. The guard that came on the rifle is black and looks pretty good on the dark stock from LRB. Wood hand guards should not be "tight" on the barrel or chamber, otherwise a fire might soon to occur. The clip holds it in place well enough during operation....it is not loose.
Ok, so I should test fit the barrel and action so that it anchors at the points it should at the receiver and the furrel at the front, and there should be a small gap at least, between any metal of the barrel/action and the wood of the stock? Remove wood with sanding/filing as necessary to get that kind of fit?
I like mine, after I swapped in a TRW bolt and put it in a USGI walnut stock. ;)

View attachment 24451
Is the Polytechnics the lower one? That is why MD doesn't consider it a copycat of the M1A, because it has a different gas piston lug with different threads and thus not interchangeable and thus different enough its not a copy cat.

The thing about the bolt and some others the Op Rod that I read about. Its not hard to imagine if the bolt is bad from the get go, or wears down quickly, its going to chew up the receiver if you keep shooting with it, I imagine the same with the Op Rod.

Is the Polytechnics the lower one? That is why MD doesn't consider it a copycat of the M1A, because it has a different gas piston lug with different threads and thus not interchangeable and thus different enough its not a copy cat.
The top one is the Polytech "M-14S." The lower one is the Springfield Armory M1A .22 air rifle, which I enjoy shooting in my basement whenever the mood strikes me, rain or shine! ;)

The top one is the Polytech "M-14S." The lower one is the Springfield Armory M1A .22 air rifle, which I enjoy shooting in my basement whenever the mood strikes me, rain or shine! ;)
I have a .22LR replacement bolt and magazine for my AR-15, its total crap and prone to misfeeds when it gets dirty, which its black with carbon within 50 rnds. But hey, when you run out of 5.56 and don't want to leave the range, you have a cheap option.....

I also have a golf ball launcher for the AR-15, you'd be surprised how much fun that is, we have never left the range with any left over blanks or golf balls.

I have a .22LR replacement bolt and magazine for my AR-15, its total crap and prone to misfeeds when it gets dirty, which its black with carbon within 50 rnds. But hey, when you run out of 5.56 and don't want to leave the range, you have a cheap option.....

I also have a golf ball launcher for the AR-15, you'd be surprised how much fun that is, we have never left the range with any left over blanks or golf balls.
But can you shoot it in your basement anytime you want? :LOL:

I have a dedicated .22 AR built around a DPMS upper. It's extremely accurate and reliable and the only thing is you have to brush out the chamber every 400-500 rounds or so because it's a tight chamber, and if you don't keep it clean, you risk lighting off a round OOB, which I've done once and how I learned this. Luckily no damage was done except to my nerves.

I have another AR, a retro build with an old USAF upper which has become the semipermanent home to a USGI M261 .22LR conversion. This one is hella fun to shoot but not that accurate due to the bore and rifling; it does well to stay in 1.25" at 25 yards whereas the DPMS .22 has no trouble busting an inch at 50. BTW, just sent you a PM. ;)

Is the photo recent? Are these new old stock? Rehabs?

Never seen one up close or shot one, just read that they had some cheap parts and it didn't get it checked out and replaced any bad parts, you'd end up eating the goods parts.
The picture is maybe 13 years old... the center rifle was still new in the box.

There is a lot of misinformation and disinformation surrounding the Chinese M14s, like any Springfield M1A most of the Poly Tech and Norinco rifles were good to go right out of the box. The gas lock and castle nut use metric threads, everything else is standard. The problem with the Chinese bolts had to do with how the lugs were machined, many owners have a GI bolt conversion performed, some don't.

But can you shoot it in your basement anytime you want? :LOL:

I have a dedicated .22 AR built around a DPMS upper. It's extremely accurate and reliable and the only thing is you have to brush out the chamber every 400-500 rounds or so because it's a tight chamber, and if you don't keep it clean, you risk lighting off a round OOB, which I've done once and how I learned this. Luckily no damage was done except to my nerves.

I have another AR, a retro build with an old USAF upper which has become the semipermanent home to a USGI M261 .22LR conversion. This one is hella fun to shoot but not that accurate due to the bore and rifling; it does well to stay in 1.25" at 25 yards whereas the DPMS .22 has no trouble busting an inch at 50. BTW, just sent you a PM. ;)
Well, I do have a Red Ryder, but I'm worried I'll shoot my eye out.:p

Been dying to swap out the black polymer on my Scout Squad to a Walnut stock but i'm too chicken **** to take it apart and fit it into the walnut stock. Let me know how yours comes out and how much fitting you had to do =P

There is a lot of misinformation and disinformation surrounding the Chinese M14s, like any Springfield M1A most of the Poly Tech and Norinco rifles were good to go right out of the box.
Dunno, if I'd say that "most" were, but many certainly were. Long/excessive headspace was extremely common--mine would eat a field gauge and showed flattened primers before I replaced the bolt.

Dunno, if I'd say that "most," were, but many certainly were. Long/excessive headspace was extremely common--mine would eat a field gauge and showed flattened primers before I replaced the bolt.
You had to use 7.62mm NATO gauges to get a correct measurement. Most people used .308 gauges.

Back