testtest

Mag problems

I recently purchased my first (used) Springfield RO compact 1911 9mm. I test fired it today and neither of the included mags locked the slide open on the last round.
I fired 124 grain Remington UMC & 115 grain Sellier & Bellot. Neither Mag kept the slide open on the last round.
I also tried Hornady 115 grain Critical Defense. One mag would lock slide on last round, the other mag did not.
I went upstairs and purchased a Wilson Combat mag. Went back down and fired a full mag of the Remington,
S&B and Hornady. The slide locked on last round each time.
Came home and called Springfield. The tech asked if after inserting the empty Springfield mag, would the slide stay open.
I said yes they both keep the slide open. He said the problem is not with the mags.
My question is, then how come the Wilson Combat mag worked perfectly with all three types of ammo and only one
of the Springfield mags worked, with the Hornady ammo. He told me to send the gun in which I did not want to do. With all this Covid nonsense going around I don't want to find myself waiting months for it to be returned.
I would have liked for the tech to check out the mags, but he never offered.
Anyone with any Ideas? The dealer where I purchased the gun said he thought they would offer to look at them and send
two replacements at the very least.

It sounds like mag related issues. Sounds like. It also could be you riding the slide stop, something you would have to be conscious of when shooting next time. SA is very good about customer service, should you take that route. You fired some known good ammo which leads me to believe it wasn’t ammo related. You could insert an empty magazine and check out the followers, being a used pistol it could be the followers on the mags, being your new Wilson mag functioned. I’d first check that I wasn’t riding the slide stop and then check my followers.

No clue if it is the problem, but I have never had issues riding the slide stop except with my XDM. I understand it is a different pistol, but I thought I had the same issue as you until I actively made sure I didn't ride the slide stop.

Maybe shoot the weapon one-handed and see if it still has the issue.

No clue if it is the problem, but I have never had issues riding the slide stop except with my XDM. I understand it is a different pistol, but I thought I had the same issue as you until I actively made sure I didn't ride the slide stop.

Maybe shoot the weapon one-handed and see if it still has the issue.
Thanks Grifter, that's the one thing I did not check. I'll go back this week and try that.

It sounds like mag related issues. Sounds like. It also could be you riding the slide stop, something you would have to be conscious of when shooting next time. SA is very good about customer service, should you take that route. You fired some known good ammo which leads me to believe it wasn’t ammo related. You could insert an empty magazine and check out the followers, being a used pistol it could be the followers on the mags, being your new Wilson mag functioned. I’d first check that I wasn’t riding the slide stop and then check my followers.
The tech did suggest that (I failed to mention that in my post.) I'll go back this week and try that. Thanks for the heads up.

You can never tell with mags. I bought some Ed Brown mags that were complete garbage. All four malfunctioned in my Dan Wesson. Now Ed Brown did replace them but they are put aside for occasional range use not to be trusted. I am not familiar with SA mags but I know Kimber mags are not very good. Sometimes the mags given with the gun like cheap Kydez holsters are just not worth it.

You can never tell with mags. I bought some Ed Brown mags that were complete garbage. All four malfunctioned in my Dan Wesson. Now Ed Brown did replace them but they are put aside for occasional range use not to be trusted. I am not familiar with SA mags but I know Kimber mags are not very good. Sometimes the mags given with the gun like cheap Kydez holsters are just not worth it.

And I’ve had nothing but good luck with my EB mags, and Kimber Tac-Pro mags...

Which just goes to show, you have to check stuff out to find what works for you.

Back