testtest

Malfunctioning ejection port cover

Ok,
I've put 104 rounds through my new Saint (2-54 round sessions one week apart). After getting home from the 2nd session, I cleaned my rifle, but noticed the ejection port cover wouldn't close. I could only close it by inserting a narrow object (like a paper clip) to depress the detent, then closed the cover. Upon pulling back the charging handle and locking the bcg in the rear position, I found when I can only describe as a simple in the ejection port that aligned with the port cover detent. See attached photo. (Dimple is in top center of photo). Not sure how that happened, or how to repair it. Springfield said to send it in for inspection and warranty repair. Any thoughts on how that happened? I don't have the slightest idea. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 20211130_201210.jpg
    20211130_201210.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 240
Check the spring for any breakage? I had a spring that would hang between the cover and the receiver that kept it from closing. On another note does the cover spring open fast when closing as much as possible then letting go? If yes then like @Talyn stated it could be a bent cover or rod? If ir doesn't spring open fast the small end of the spring could've popped on the wrong side and will bind at the bottom and will make it hard too close. Can you push down on the tip that keeps it closed when cover is closed?

Ok,
I've put 104 rounds through my new Saint (2-54 round sessions one week apart). After getting home from the 2nd session, I cleaned my rifle, but noticed the ejection port cover wouldn't close. I could only close it by inserting a narrow object (like a paper clip) to depress the detent, then closed the cover. Upon pulling back the charging handle and locking the bcg in the rear position, I found when I can only describe as a simple in the ejection port that aligned with the port cover detent. See attached photo. (Dimple is in top center of photo). Not sure how that happened, or how to repair it. Springfield said to send it in for inspection and warranty repair. Any thoughts on how that happened? I don't have the slightest idea. Thanks for your input.
The dust cover on my Saint Victor .308 has the same issue new out of the box. The salesman at my LGS bought the same rifle 2 days later and did the same new out of the box. It's just something they just didn't get quite right during manufacturing and/or assembly, or check/inspect before sending out the rifle.

I personally have not worried too much about it. I just push the plunger in a tiny bit to close it with whatever I have nearby when I'm done shooting and cleaning the rifle.

The dust cover on my Saint Victor .308 has the same issue new out of the box. The salesman at my LGS bought the same rifle 2 days later and did the same new out of the box. It's just something they just didn't get quite right during manufacturing and/or assembly, or check/inspect before sending out the rifle.

I personally have not worried too much about it. I just push the plunger in a tiny bit to close it with whatever I have nearby when I'm done shooting and cleaning the rifle.
My Edge pistol in 5.56 is also extremely difficult to close the dust cover doesn’t really concern me as I don’t take the gun out into the wild to allow anything to enter into that area. After cleaning I use the rubber coated handle of a pair of pliers to snap it close, when I work the charging handle it snaps open instantly every time so I have no worries on running my gun.

Thanks for the replies. Sound like a metal weakness. I'm not sure if I'll send it in, as turnaround time is quite lengthy given how quickly that simple can be Dremeled smooth. But doing so, may create the problem again if it's an aluminum alloy weakness issue.

Check the spring for any breakage? I had a spring that would hang between the cover and the receiver that kept it from closing. On another note does the cover spring open fast when closing as much as possible then letting go? If yes then like @Talyn stated it could be a bent cover or rod? If ir doesn't spring open fast the small end of the spring could've popped on the wrong side and will bind at the bottom and will make it hard too close. Can you push down on the tip that keeps it closed when cover is closed?
Hi Texas
I'll check the springiness of the cover and get back to you. Once I get the cover plate closed it looks and works like it's supposed to.

The ejection port rod is either slightly bent so the cover closes abit too far up for the detent to work properly, and/or the cover detent is not freely moving.

My .02
Hi Talyn,
Thanks for the reply. Since this is my 1st AR, I'm not sure how stiff the detent spring should be. I can depress it with my thumbnail and it's not freely moving up and down within the assembly, just stiff.

While a dust cover technically isn't necessary. Its purpose is to keep out dirt, but some feel that the dust cover is best at holding dirt in. I’m of the opinion that many owners never use it, but I use the dust cover when hunting. I would recommend using it if you carry your AR on a regular basis in various environments. It is essential to employ it if you are an operator in a war zone!

I wonder where does Springfield source some of the parts as the iron or polymer sights in this case are from UTG and the double sided safety is from CMMG it seems like to me.

I replaced my ejection port with those pop ins from Strike Industries and then moved onto an ejection port cover from BCM.

I replaced the safety with the single sided Colt edition from Brownells since BCM is out of stock on selling their semis in a stand alone package.

While researching the Victor I saw someone ( a few people actually) mention the same problem. One of them filed down either the pin or the part where it snaps into and it was fine. Another said that he just worked it repeatedly and it eventually worked itself out. One other person mentioned applying pressure to the right or left of it when pushing it closed, like there was a sweet spot. That was one of the first things I checked when I got mine and it was a bit snug but not too bad.

Back