testtest

Manual Safety or Not: Too Dangerous To Carry?

This article did not mention the Springfield XDe in 9 or 45. It is exactly like the DA/SA S&W "Wonder Nines" that replaced revolvers. XDe now discontinued by Springfield was a replacement for my Walther PPK/S but .45 instead of .380. 12 lb DA first pull and 5 in SA. Or you can cock the hammer and carry cocked and locked with safety on.

It's also my CCW, the XDE, surely that was nearly the perfect compact CCW with a manual thumb safety and de-cocker. Not sure why it didn't sell better, guess being a single stack with limited ammunition did it in. But any way, if 10 rounds (9+1) isn't enough to get the job done, you're (that being me) in way over your head.

I started shooting in AIT Military Police School in 1986 with the 1911A1. Every Pistol that I carried until recently had a Manual safety. I learned and drilled as I draw from the holster to click the safety off. It is it just part of the mechanics of drawing for me. But recently with the advent of the Poly micro's none of mine have safeties (except for the trigger tab thingy) and I have learned to shoot without them. I don't feel less safe, it is just a part of the training. Like learning to shoot with red dots, which is fairly new for me. To each their own and to their own training be damned or saved. Peace, out.

I have one handgun with a manual safety, 1911 Emissary 45ACP And I practice all the time picking up the gun, disengaging the safety and going to full presentation.
FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
Focus, proper mindset and training.
One revolver, no issues.
All my other handguns are striker fired with trigger blade and grip safeties, also no issues. Never an AD or ND.
Training and practice.

I didn't say anything about 45s. It's easy to get a 1911 in 9mm, yet PDs still don't allow them.

Also, to my earlier point, check the 1911s and 2011s of any of the top competitive shooters. They all have pinned grip safeties. Why? Because match experience (i.e. experience in stressful shooting situations, where the shooter is trying to get off a shot quickly) has shown that it DOES happen that even very experienced 1911 shooters will sometimes have a failure to fire because they didn't have the right grip.

Put equal training on a 1911 and a Glock-style pistol and then collect data in the real world. Like I said, I'd bet money the 1911 shooters log more times where they didn't get a round off because of the gun. Specifically, the gun having more impediments (or you can call them safeties) to firing it when you want to. More hurdles to overcome mean, statistically more times that you fail to overcome a hurdle.
Pinning a grip safety on a carry gun is stupid. Period.

In the late 1970's I was working with a PD in the Midwest. One of our officers was married to a woman who worked midnights in a convenience store. We had a spate of robberies in convenience stores, and he was worried that she would become a victim so he would sit in a parking lot across from the store during his time off and watch the store. He was carrying a radio and a 1911 Gold Cup that was authorized but had not had a lot of training with the 1911. Lo and behold an armed robber came in with a knife and took his wife into the cooler in the back. He radioed dispatch and we had about 20 officers on the scene within a few minutes. When the robber came out of the store he was dismayed at the array of Model 19's, Model 27's, Pythons, and 870's, and one 1911, aimed in his direction. We got the robber proned on the sidewalk in front of the convenience store and the supervisor told the husband to go ahead and cuff him. Somewhere along the way someone told the husband that he should let the hammer down on the 1911. There was a negligent discharge into the concrete between the robber's legs and although he got some shrapnel, he came out of it with his package intact. There is still a chunk of concrete missing in front of that Stop 'N Go. The officer's wife was okay back in the cooler and everybody other than the robber, who did 25 years, lived happily ever after. The officer did not have sufficient training in handling the 1911 which resulted in the negligent discharge between the criminal's legs. Or perhaps he knew exactly what he was doing and the shot between the suspect's legs was a message. We will never know....

Transitioned over to XD striker fire from SW 6900 (DA/SA) while back. Ran double/single for years and EDC. Now, whenever I shoot that old SW I have a tendency to forget that I have that safety on which causes a bit of hesitancy, some times I’ll instinctively (and unnecessarily) go to tap-rack.
I think for an EDC, have one or the other when it come to a safety so that split-second WTF doesn’t doesn’t happen in a SHTF situation.

Hmm. Most people in this thread saying they always carry guns with manual safeties, yet the forum at large is populated with people who own a whole lot of safeteyless striker guns.

If you don't trust yourself to keep your finger off the trigger when it doesn't need to be on the trigger or to pay attention when re-holstering, a gun with a manual safety is definitely for you.

Hmm. Most people in this thread saying they always carry guns with manual safeties, yet the forum at large is populated with people who own a whole lot of safeteyless striker guns.

If you don't trust yourself to keep your finger off the trigger when it doesn't need to be on the trigger or to pay attention when re-holstering, a gun with a manual safety is definitely for you.
I carry a standard P365 every day, round chambered. No safety of any kind. I have no opinions to counter anything I've read though...sure is entertaining reading!

I started out carrying TDA handguns and transitioned to SFAs. I've never carried a handgun with a manual safety.

Because of that, trigger discipline has always been a major component of my training. (Practice =/= training)

I've never accidentally fired my SFA guns. Not even the few times I've actually had to draw them in self-defense or in the course of my job.

I have forgot to disengage the safety on my 1911 on a static range under zero duress and with all the time in the world.

I have also (with a Glock that I was absolutely positive was unloaded) tried to deactivate the trigger safety without pulling the trigger. I won't say it's impossible but I couldn't do it. It was a good reminder.

If I was going to have an opinion it would be that you should only carry one type of handgun for a concealed carry either with a manual safety or a TDA or an SFA but never mix and match.

I will also say that during a training class I attended one day I saw two new shooters repeatedly have problems getting a Springfield XD to fire because they couldn't get a proper grip and they couldn't disengage the grip safety. I don't own any guns that have a grip safety on them but after that day I decided I was never going to buy one

True story bro, Tweakers hunt in packs
Tweakers ( and I am pretty much in tweaker central) don't generally carry guns. Dealers do, but tweakers generally don't. And dealers don't generally engage in altercations with normal people because it significantly shortens their career, one way or the other. The thing about tweakers is their brains don't work right. And they are pretty simple to take down because of it. I'm not trying to have a long discussion about why I know this, but I do have a decent amount of experience to back up my assertions.

LE involved shootings are a different animal than a SD shooting.
How so? Joseph Mcgrotha didn't stop fighting Pete Solas even after being shot multiple times until he was dead. You think he's going to turn tail and run because you showed him your snubby?

You're not the first person who ever shot at that crackhead. You may not even be the first person that ever shot him.

I'd much rather have 15 rounds and only need 2 or 3 (needing zero would be even better) then have six and need eight

Tweakers ( and I am pretty much in tweaker central) don't generally carry guns. Dealers do, but tweakers generally don't. And dealers don't generally engage in altercations with normal people because it significantly shortens their career, one way or the other. The thing about tweakers is their brains don't work right. And they are pretty simple to take down because of it. I'm not trying to have a long discussion about why I know this, but I do have a decent amount of experience to back up my assertions.
So do I.

Back