testtest

Manual Safety or Not: Too Dangerous To Carry?

As for how much ammo we carry. We pretty much all have our preferences. Some based on experience, some based on lack of it and some based on preconceived notions or nothing at all other than habit. Hans is a very pragmatic guy and he is statistically likely to be correct when it matters.

My personal idiosyncrasies tell me that when I am carrying a .45 ACP, 8 and a spare mag or two will do. When I am carrying a 9mm I see no reason to carry a 9mm that has less than a 17 round mag. And a spare mag or two. I am not particularly pragmatic when it comes to this particular topic. I generally carry as much as I can carry and conceal comfortably.

Bad example.

The defender pretty much gave up after the first shot.
You asked for a real life example in which the pack kept coming after the first shot that's exactly what I gave you.

I really don't care how many rounds you carry. I don't care if you carry a two-shot Derringer. I don't care if you carry a muzzleloader. It's not going to affect me.

What I'm addressing is the mindset that says "Well if I need more than X number of rounds I'm dead anyway."

Even if it's true it's a really bad metric to use to decide what you're going to carry

Last edited:
You asked for a real life example in which the pack kept coming after the first shot that's exactly what I gave you.

I really don't care how many rounds you carry. I don't care if you carry a two-shot Derringer. I don't care if you carry a muzzleloader. It's not going to affect me.

What I'm addressing is the mindset that says well if I need more than X number of rounds I'm dead anyway.

Even if it's true it's a really bad metric to use to decide what you're going to carry
I think the person who made that comment is probably an older guy who is in less than "Fighting shape". At least that's the way I took him to mean it.

And even though I, for example, was carrying a full size 9mm and 51 rounds yesterday, I think the odds of me ever needing more than a couple rounds are about a million to 1.

I think the person who made that comment is probably an older guy who is in less than "Fighting shape". At least that's the way I took him to mean it.

And even though I, for example, was carrying a full size 9mm and 51 rounds yesterday, I think the odds of me ever needing more than a couple rounds are about a million to 1.
The odds of you ever even actually needing to draw your gun or probably a million to one but you still carry a gun.

The main point I'm trying to make is I'm only going to carry X number of rounds because I'll never need x + 1 is a really bad metric to use to decide on what you should carry

No I'm saying I've dealt with Tweakers more than once or twice.

Having said that though, whether or not the actual Tweaker is carrying a gun doesn't necessarily change their willingness to fight.
True enough, but the fact that they are tweaking certainly changes their ability to fight. And their willingness to fight with a broken fibula is generally unaffected by their tweaking. :)

The odds of you ever even actually needing to draw your gun or probably a million to one but you still carry a gun.

The main point I'm trying to make is I'm only going to carry X number of rounds because I'll never need x + 1 is a really bad metric to use to decide on what you should carry
Well, it's bad for you and me brother. Everything ain't for everybody. It happens that I find myself in :poop: situations through no fault of my own with some regularity and I make a conscious effort to be overprepared for everything. Most people probably don't need to be "That" prepared. Or should I say it would bring them no comfort, as it does me.

Clear up that logic-“If it was all in training, everyone would carry a revolver”.

Because it makes zero sense when applied to this discussion.

Connect the dots, please.

Let's not get distracted. We do not need to debate whether a revolver is safer and more reliable than a semi-auto. That is not the focus of this discussion.

The point is "Same training + better equipment = More capability for self-defense"

Pinning a grip safety on a carry gun is stupid. Period.

Going for another distraction?

NOBODY said anything about pinning a grip safety on a carry gun. I gave an example (backed by a reasonable population size of shooters) to illustrate that "failure to fire" because of a "wrong" grip on a gun with a grip safety is a real thing.

Wilson Combat X9 pistols are 1911-based designs and they don't even have grip safeties. Thumb safety only. Are they unsafe as carry guns?

And why do you suppose the X9 guns have no grip safety? Perhaps because Wilson Combat also came to the conclusion that a grip safety is an impediment to firing that does - very OCCASIONALLY - cause a problem in a self-defense situation?

Honest Outlaw seems to agree with me, also:

Agencies have various policies. Some only allow the gun that is issued for continuity of training. Very few agencies issue 1911's nowadays especially when plastic guns are so cheap. Some allow the officer to carry what they want as long as they qualify with it. Some specify caliber and a list of guns that are authorized. Some allow officer choice for off duty. I know of some agencies that issue 1911's but not many.

Right. So, anyway....

Who here thinks it is actually an ADVANTAGE to have to click off a thumb safety and mash a grip safety, when the SHTF?

I'm not talking about for LE or military. I'm talking about when a regular shmoe has to defend themselves.

I'm not talking about holstering or other "administrative actions".

I'm talking about only when you NEED it for its intended purpose, do you think it helps protect your life to have to get your pistol out of concealment and also click off a safety and achieve the correct grip to disengage a grip safety?

Anyone? Anyone think it is advantage? If so, why?

Right. So, anyway....

Who here thinks it is actually an ADVANTAGE to have to click off a thumb safety and mash a grip safety, when the SHTF?

I'm not talking about for LE or military. I'm talking about when a regular shmoe has to defend themselves.

I'm talking about only when you NEED it for its intended purpose, do you think it helps protect your life to have to get your pistol out of concealment and also click off a safety and achieve the correct grip to disengage a grip safety?

I can think immediately of a major advantage that the 1911 platform offers over your run of the mill plastic fantastic, and that’s accuracy.

Never seen a Glock—even a Roland—that can hang with a decent 1911.

Right. So, anyway....

Me. Because I shoot my P220 and 1911 really well.

Back